Transitioning and Frustrated!!!

girlstuff2020girlstuff2020 Posts: 45Registered Users
Hello fellow curly heads!

I'm new to the board, and I'm smack dab in the middle of transitioning from chemically straightened to curly.

Right now, my hair is about 3 inches long all over (I chopped it all off in an effort to cut a lot of the straightened parts out), and about half that length is my newly coming in curly roots. :O It looks...well...pretty crazy. lol.

Does anyone have any tips on how to coax and encourage chemically straightened hair to curl again? Or any other helpful tips on what to do before I pull a Betty Boop and start yanking my hair? :P

Comments

• missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    my hair is 100% natural now...and when i was transitioning, I was never able to get the relaxed hair to wave or curl. all it did was frizz up!!! it was relaxed bone straight so my only option was to do twist sets on my hair so the relaxed hair texture could sorta match the natural hair texture. Have you tried that already?
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
  • girlstuff2020girlstuff2020 Posts: 45Registered Users
    Yeah, mine is just this really bizarre frizz texture at the ends! No curl, wave, or even a hint of anything. lol.
    I've been pinning it up, so I can tuck the straight parts in with the curls. It looks good like that, I think.
    I guess it's just a matter of patience and allowing it time to grow out, huh?
    Who'd have ever thought I'd be WISHING for curls....heehee.
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
  • mixed_beauty85mixed_beauty85 Posts: 421Registered Users
    o yes, a friend of mine gave me the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]knot today[/buylink] for free because she didnt like it, so this gives me an even better excuse to try the curling custard :laughing7:
    Sorry to take over your thread PaprikaPapaya!

Mixed Beauty...make sure you apply the product in small sections to get even distribution. it is a bit tricky to apply but it gives me really springy defined curls on my 4a hair. There's a thread in the 4a forum with lots of tips on product application if you haven't seen it already:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=41276

comic-p.jpg
  • mixed_beauty85mixed_beauty85 Posts: 421Registered Users
    thanks for the heads up missmonie, and yes sorry paprika! lol

as for tips on blending the two textures, u can get a wash n set, another great thing is setting ur hair with flexirods. its very easy to do but can b tedious depending on ur hair length.and u can either airdry or sit under a dryer with the flexirod set. also make sure u use a moisturizing conditioner for curly hair. if u dont care about silicones, i would suggest the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Mixed-Chicks-Deep-Conditioner-p-674.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=mixed-chicks-deep-conditioner]mixed chicks deep conditioner[/buylink], very moisturizing and good to help u transition.
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    PaprikaPapaya, have you tried wetting your hair and braiding it (braid out)? Maybe that'll help. I couldn't get any product whatsoever to make my relaxed ends curl. There's a chance you might have to wait until the relaxed ends are all gone.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• girlstuff2020girlstuff2020 Posts: 45Registered Users
    lol, it's okay ladies :P

I might try the braid thing, Mariag! Thanks for that. I recently started CG so I don't wanna use anything with cones, and I'm finding my roots (the natural part) are getting curlier, and yet the ends (chemically treated) are getting straighter. lol. Thank god for bobby pins, I'm tellin ya, pinning my hair up is saving my sanity right now!
  • AmerikahAmerikah Posts: 2Registered Users
    I am currently transitioning from permed hair to natural. I got frustrated with my ends b/c they would only frizz up and b/c I didn't want them to split I just trimmed them back to the new growth. My hair is healthier, thicker, and longer now. I am glad I found this site so that I can start using natural hair care products to continue strengthening and growing my tresses.:)
  • preciousjewel76preciousjewel76 Posts: 679Registered Users Curl Novice
    During my transition, I wore my hair in pretty much the same style for MONTHS.:laughing7: Pulled back into a bun with a headband (which helped cover up where the curly and straight hair met). It was boring, but it worked for me. Braidouts are good, as mariag said. My philosophy was to not mess around with my transitioning hair too much, because it was fragile. Just find something that works and looks cute! Patience is key.

Oh, and bobby pins saved my life while transitioning, too!:toothy7:
    4A - dense, medium strands - APL/BSL - 3+ years natural!

:love7:YAY!: GF Triple Nutrition Conditioner, YTCu Color Care Conditioner, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque, LOTD AV Gel, EVCO, JCN&S, KCCC, buns and updos!
  • KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Posts: 714Registered Users
    OK, patience is easier said than done. My last relaxer was in Nov '07. Got about 2 inches of new growth. I've only cut a few inches off of it. It's getting big and poufy, but I'm determined to stick with it.

I, too, am just putting it up in a puffball behind my head. (Or I'll put it up in a bun with some of the curls sticking out.)

Sometimes I'm frustrated 'cuz I know it will be a year or two before all of the relaxed part is gone, but IT WILL BE HEALTHY!

Right now I'm using Sunsilk DeFrizz and Anti-Poof products. Paul Mitchell's "The Conditioner" detangles my hair well, but if there's a Sally's Beauty Supply nearby, there's a Generic version that works just as well. I admit to using dimethicone products for shine.

For more natural products, I like the Jason products (shampoo and conditioner with aloe), and the MaxGreenAlchemy Scalp Rescue products.

Don't give up Paprika! We're sticking together in this!! 3140340a.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file