What Folks Say?

jonesybirdjonesybird Posts: 141Registered Users
Hi everyone! I love this site and y'all are so great and beautiful. I think this site probably houses the most gorgeous women I've seen online!

So, I want to BC. I set a date for May 24 but only because I'm kinda chicken about it... I'm worried what the people that know me would say. My husband is sooo for it, I'm for it...I guess I'm really trippin on other folks opinion.

I already did a MC (medium chop :laughing7:) in Jan to shoulder length hair from almost waist length hair. I'm guessing just a few more inches shouldn't be all that shocking...

Okay, so don't tell anyone but I did a SC (sample chop:laughing7:) on the front of my hair and I freakin love it (yes, I now have a mullet that I am currently hiding!).
I do feel like it has pushed me closer to wanting it done sooner...check my fotki for the sampled look.

So, my question is, how did you beauties get the courage to do it and what did folks say?

Thanks to all and happy Friday!:blob7:

Comments

• Rubber BiscuitRubber Biscuit Posts: 1,294Registered Users
    I didn't tell anyone. I was on vacation at my folks house in Florida and the humidity made it obvious where the natural hair ended and the relaxed hair started. I was sick of it. I made an appointment for the next morning at 8 a.m. (that way I was too groggy to think about it!) and I just chopped off 5 inches. And I felt so much better! (Even when my sis looked at me with pity lol) I think it's like quitting smoking. You'll do it when you're ready, no matter what anyone else says! I know it's just hair, but I think you learn a lot about yourself when you let go of your lifelong identity (long, straight hair) and it is so liberating to be just... you! Good luck!! We're all here to support you! :toothy7:
    - Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
    - Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just grabbed some scissors one day and did it myself. My hair was a good length when I did it so everybody begged me not to do it. Of course they weren't the ones that had to deal with my hair so their opinions didn't count LOL

I had alot of compliments. Some people said I was nucking futs. A few of my family members told me I looked ridiculous. At the end of the day the only thing that mattered is how I felt with my hair. You can't please everybody! :tongue5:
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• jonesybirdjonesybird Posts: 141Registered Users
    oh wow. Love the story.

Gosh, I'm so tempted to do it Saturday. See, I work in public setting andI'm just worried what people would say. I'm a teacher so its more of an issue of what the kids would say!
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Jonesybird, I agree with everyone else that you will know when you're ready. I just wanted to say that your natural hair is beautiful. Start looking at hair accessories (sp?) to help you with the shorter length. Cute bobbi pins and small barrettes may be an option that may get lost in longer hair. LOL

Also, I think the shoulder length hair looks better than your longer hair. Your longer hair looked a little heavy while the shorter length seemed to bring your personality out a little more. But I could be wrong because I don't know you. :wink:
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • CandycaneCandycane Posts: 291Registered Users
    I think your hair is really pretty-id just say go with your gut n do what would make you happy n dont worry too much about what other people think. I can tell that you love your hair-so go ahead n show it off!
  • Flower princessFlower princess Posts: 608Registered Users
    I've not done the bc yet but i believe that if you really set up your mind and tell to yourself '' I'm tired of depending on relaxers,i want to be the way i was really meant to be,'' you'll do it.Just stay on track and yes i think your hair looks like 3C.I hope this helped :)And you too are beautiful!:)
    All Hair is Good Hair!

It's Not What's ON Your Head, But What's IN Your Head!

Please join/follow my new blog http://vividthoughtsofglory.blogspot.com/
    Ladies you are fantastico!!

I've made my mind up and will do it next Tues
    April 15 at 5 oclock SHARP! :toothy7:
    Im thrilled to pieces and feel so at peace now!

I will post pics just seconds after I leave the shop!
  • CandycaneCandycane Posts: 291Registered Users
    O lol-i didn’t really answer the question

One day i was looking at pics from when i was about 7 or 8 and i saw how much potential my hair had. When i was younger i didn’t appreciate my natural hair because it wasn’t well cared for plus i thought perfectly straight hair was what i wanted.

I didn’t put a relaxer in my hair until i was about 12 or 13-when i got my hair straightened it was down to my waist and i loved it. Although that left my hair dry and unmanageable plus my ends were fried. My hair began to get shorter an shorter from all the damage.

One day i just stopped relaxing it. I couldn’t do it anymore. i wanted people to c my hair for what it really is. I didn’t like the idea of having something that wasn’t really mine.

It was only about 2 or 3 months later when i decided to BC-i was worried that the damage from my relaxed hair would effect my new growth.

I told my bf i was going to cut it and i could tell he didn’t want me to but i was doing it for myself and not for him

Two or 3 days before graduation(June 07) i got my bc. My mom loved it and started to cry(i have no clue y) My bf loved it also but i think he still would prefer it to b longer.

A lot of people have told me that my hair fits me the way it is now. Some people even think it is a weave or that i style it this way. Of course i still get the occasional "you should get a relaxer" but i always say no...hell no. I worked way to hard for this and if my hair looks like a giant frizz ball- so b it-at least its my hair and i love it.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Well, I posted about my BC on here, but I'll repeat the important parts:

I got fed up with trying to make the straightened hair curl and at 1am on a Friday/Saturday, I just took the scissors into the bathroom and started cutting. No courage. Just impulsive impatience. :lol:

Let's see, my daughter said I looked horrible and so many other things because she likes long hair. But there was also some other stuff she was dealing with there that's in my thread. I was in tears, but after so many wonderful comments from people who saw my fotki, I felt much better.

Other than that, I've had nothing but compliments. My mom said it was "cute." And I've had men stop me in the middle of the grocery store to tell me I was beautiful. ***blush***

I've had some compliments before, been called "sexy" etc. :roll: But only since I cut my hair off have men been stopping dead in their tracks to compliment me. :shock:

Don't worry about what other people will say. Some will have some negatives, but the positives will be much, much deeper and more heartfelt.
    sunshine75 wrote: »

Don't worry about what other people will say. Some will have some negatives, but the positives will be much, much deeper and more heartfelt.

Ah, so true. Thanks, that makes sense.
  • GoddessCurlsGoddessCurls Posts: 1,537Registered Users
    I didn't do a big chop, cause I was way too attached to my long hair. I don't know that the thought of what my family and friends would think made any difference. I just wanted to be able to do something with it so it still looked cute. Thankfully I had a very easy transition and I transitioned for a while. When I finally did chop I only had to cut off about 5-6-7 inches and it's gotten pretty long again. But after getting the damaged part off was liberating. I know just when I told my family about my CG routine I had some faces made at me, but they all agree that my hair looks great now and way better than it did before. So that pretty much shuts them up!lol

Back on Cones,so now my routine is,wash with Deva No-Poo every other day or so. Occasionally use 365 sulfate free,maybe use low sulfate shampoo mixed with conditioner once every two weeks are longer. I condition with Aussie Moist or HEHH. I style with a little GF TN,and finish up with tons of GN Pure Clean Smoothing Cream. No frizz...slippy, happy hair.
  • missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    Congrats on your decision to do the BC next week!!!

When I chopped my hair, I hadn't really planned on doing it. I woke up one morning and said...this 17 month transition is going on too long. I called a natural hair salon, went in for a consultation and was sitting in the stylist's chair the next day. I didn't tell anyone....and after it was all said and done...my husband looked at me like I was crazy and the people at work were very confused. I went from the silky straight hair that I wore all through my transition to short two strand twists.....over night!
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
  • mozekemozeke Posts: 480Registered Users
    First let me say I understand completely how you feel. It's funny but I actually did the same thing (sample cut) on the back of my head just to see what would happen. I agree that seeing my "natural" beauty has me sooo amped to do the BC. My scheduled date "was" 6/10 (6 month mark) but I don't think I'm going to make it. I really want to do it now but I graduate from college on 5/17 and my family in encouraging me to wait until then. Honestly I think you are already there. You've done the long transition which I applaud you for, I just can't do it. Keep your BC date. It is a good thing to set goal and reach them. Good luck and check out my fotki.
    Last relaxer: 12/10/07
    BC date: 5/2/08
    It's your hair...do what you wanna do
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i just went for it. and at first everyone who had known me with long straight hair hated it. but id always get compliments from people who didnt know me with my old hair. ultimately, you should do your BC (if thats what you decide to do) for YOU and only you. it is after all your hair, not theirs.

miniskirt--we have the same name...i spell mine differently though:)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    What did people say to me, "What is going on with your hair?"
    "Oh giving up relaxers? Why?" "You have curly hair??"

I just grabbed the scissors and cut off the rest of my relaxed ends last year. I was growing out a bob and the last bit was driving me nuts!! I was afraid to cut it because I didn't want to end up with a mullet...well, I just did it and didn't see Billy Ray in the mirror!! :wink:

Speckla
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had a texturizer that made my hair 3b-c-ish (and frizzy as hell). I transition over like 14 months and 3 cuts. Very easy.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    Good morning beauties!

Yes I am still doing it tomorrow at 5 oclock!

Talk to y'all then!
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Jonesybird, when I cut my hair all my friends said I was nuts! Now all I get are compliments! People tell me that they now "get" why I did it. Whether they like it or not I don't take anybody's critique very seriously. Its my hair damn it. If I wanna be bald tomorrow its nobody's business LOL :tongue5:

Good luck! You got 29 hours to go!
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

jonesybird wrote: »
    Good morning beauties!

Yes I am still doing it tomorrow at 5 oclock!

Talk to y'all then!

Oh!I hope I'm not too late to say good luck,I'm sending you good vibes :).I'm still wondering what made you change mind sooo FAST?The BC may be a shock to you after you've done it but remember your getting to know your real self!:compress:
    All Hair is Good Hair!

• jcurladyjcurlady Posts: 626Registered Users Curl Novice
    Good luck.

I did my BC b/c I got tired of the 2 different textures like most people. I wasn't really only concerned w/ what my husband thought. I didn't really take great care of my hair w/ the relaxer. I just didn't want to look like a boy.
    I didn't like my hair when I got the BC but every day I liked it a little more and by the end of the week, I was in love.
    Your hair is beautiful and you seem to love it already.
    if luvin KCKT and KCCC is wrong I don't wanna b right

sell crazy somewhere else...we're all stocked up here.
    I just saw your fotki and i realized that you did the BC!!That's nice, your hair looks soo pretty! I'm very happy for you:)
    All Hair is Good Hair!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file