Transitioning. What to do!?

keroppi_keroppi_ Posts: 23Registered Users
So, Last time I got my hair relaxed was about 4 months ago, and I have about 1 1/2 inches of new growth. But I have NO idea as to what products I should use, or which routine I should follow.

I've been rollersetting it and wearing it up in a bun, and have blow-dried it a few times for "special occasions".

Can anyone give me some advice? I live in Panama, so some of the products you mention are pretty much nonexistent here.

All help will be much appreciated! :blob7:

Comments

• Mo_Gemini22Mo_Gemini22 Posts: 485Registered Users
    keroppi_ wrote: »
    So, Last time I got my hair relaxed was about 4 months ago, and I have about 1 1/2 inches of new growth. But I have NO idea as to what products I should use, or which routine I should follow.

I've been rollersetting it and wearing it up in a bun, and have blow-dried it a few times for "special occasions".

Can anyone give me some advice? I live in Panama, so some of the products you mention are pretty much nonexistent here.

All help will be much appreciated! :blob7:

First of all.......I was just in Panama in July (bro-in-law's family had a reunion) and LOVED it! Can't wait to go back! Viva Panama!

You will find lots of help and advice here. Try to avoid too much heat if at all possible. Condition, condition, condition! Avoid products w/ Mineral Oil (dries out hair) and silicones (can build up on hair)Products.......well you may have to order some stuff. Here are some products I use:

www.aubrey-organics.com (JAY Herb Desert Shampoo & Conditioner, White Camelia Conditioner)

www.qhemetbiologics.com (heavy cream, amla oil pomade, olive cream conditioner and detangler)

Also many people use glycerin, castor oil, honey (mixed w/ conditioner) and other essential oils.

Buenas suerte!
    Last relaxer - July 07
    BC - 8/2/08
    4B headband-holic
    Products in rotation (too many!):
    Shampoo - Giovanni Smooth as Silk, Giovanni Tea Tree
    Condish - Giovanni Smooth as Silk, Trader Joe Nourish Spa
    Leave in - Sheamoisture Curl Milk, KCNT, Giovanni Direct
    Deep Treatment - Apoghee Two Step Protein Treatment, Giovanni Nutrafix
    Moisturizers - Carefree Curl Gold Spray
    Stylers - Sheamoisture Curl Smoothie
  • mixed_beauty85mixed_beauty85 Posts: 421Registered Users
    well during my transition i got my hair rollerset and wraped. the conditioner that saved my life was [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Mixed-Chicks-Deep-Conditioner-p-674.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=mixed-chicks-deep-conditioner]mixed chicks deep conditioner[/buylink]. since u live outside the US i think they ship internationally. check out their site www.mixedchicks.net
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm going to step off the CG bandwagon since you're transitioning. If you live in Panama, do you have access to Dominican conditioning products? Some have silicones, some don't but as long as you wash with a non-sulfate shampoo you should be okay. If most of your hair is relaxed and the rest new growth, your straightened hair may actually prefer silicones, and it -- the length-- is what you are trying to preserve during transition. I'm not saying go out and by silicone-laden stuff if you can get something without it, though.

- Deep treatments
    - Baggying
    - periodic protein treatments (maybe one a month) followed by a moisture treatment.
    - Protective, low manipulation styles (buns and rollersetting are good)
    -Ditch any products with mineral oil.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • keroppi_keroppi_ Posts: 23Registered Users
    Thanks to all of you!

Ditch mineral oil products, check.
    No silicon, check.
    As for the dominican products, I'm gonna have to ask at the place I go.

I was thinking of getting a BC on august, 'cause taking care of two different types of hair is killing me.

Well, I'll try some of the advices received and post the results! :wink:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file