CurlTalk

stringy curl strands

When I get out of the shower, my curls are perfectly bundled into large curls. However, whenever I apply a product on my wet hair, the curl strands break up into thinner ringlets and by the time I diffuse it, it looks somewhat close to a jheri curl (which I do not want.) I don't want a bunch of thin, hardened curls. How can I get my curls to form together like when it was out of the shower, and also be dry?:?
Cookies and Rainbows and Apple Pies:headbang:

Comments

• Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users
    lovlee wrote: »
    When I get out of the shower, my curls are perfectly bundled into large curls. However, whenever I apply a product on my wet hair, the curl strands break up into thinner ringlets and by the time I diffuse it, it looks somewhat close to a jheri curl (which I do not want.) I don't want a bunch of thin, hardened curls. How can I get my curls to form together like when it was out of the shower, and also be dry?:?

How are you applying your product (e.g. scrunching, raking, smoothing...)?
  • NotinabottleNotinabottle Posts: 303Registered Users
    This is what I do that I find helps clumps my thick hair back together-

I use a pretty thick gel, L.A. looks durahold(godsend btw) and I have to rake it through because I'll never get proper distribution otherwise. I mix this thick gel with a more liquidly one(Biotera gel) in my hand and it makes it much easier to distribute and breaks up my hairs less. Then I smooth it together with my hands and scrunch it up. Sometimes I even hand twist some curls together after smoothing it together, especially if I have a frizzy spot.
    HTH!
    3a/b Thick, dry, in need of a haircut.
    HG's: Giovannia Smooth as Silk Conditioner and Aura Hypoallergenic Gel.

Whee a fotki!/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FNotinabottle%2F" class="Popup
  • * Willow ** Willow * Posts: 496Registered Users
    If you like the way your hair looks when it is really wet, then try this: After you get your products in there take a spray bottle and generously re-wet you hair. I have found that it helps to kind of "stick" my hair back together. I know it sounds wierd, but it works for me. :wink:
    If you focus on the negative not only is that what you'll see, that's what you'll be.
  • sessac81sessac81 Posts: 690Registered Users
    Then I smooth it together with my hands and scrunch it up

Can you explain this step a little more in depth. I'm not picturing it. Do you mean that you smooth your hair together? How? I have a problem getting nice clumps too and I want them SO bad :sad8:
    :) Vanessa :)
    CG since 9/2007
    medium texture; slightly porous

Currently loving:
    anything from CJ, KBB Luscious Locks Hair Mask, Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
  • micol124micol124 Posts: 171Registered Users
    I second the nice wet clumps request :D once I put product in the nice clumps become small stringy waves :(
    2c/3a - Miii - Coarse - Low porosity I think

CG since 02/08

low-poo, 20/80 honey and JC TS, ACV rinse, honey and TW

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmicol124%2Fgoing-cg%2F" class="Popup
  • curlquestcurlquest Posts: 90Registered Users
    im always looking to get more clumps and i thought the solution was scrunching the product in, but last night i gently raked in a leave-in and then raked/scrunched in my gel, and i got bag fat spirals in the morning that lasted all day! i also used more leave-in than usual, so that could be it, but whatever it is its working and im doing it again tomorrow night (im hoping this will last for 2nd day hair)
  • 5ftLatina5ftLatina Posts: 3Registered Users
    curlquest wrote: »
    i also used more leave-in than usual, so that could be it, but whatever it is its working and im doing it again tomorrow night (im hoping this will last for 2nd day hair)

I have noticed that mixing a little conditioner in with my hair gel seems to lead to better clumping, but I couldn't say for sure.

I really wish I had the time/energy to make notes about what exactly I did with my hair each day coupled with pictures of the results.