Need opinions about the BC!

CSteen85CSteen85 Posts: 94Registered Users
Hi All!

A little background:
I had my hair chemically relaxed with ISO Manetamer
exactly a year ago this month. I can't really tell where the line of growth is on my head, because most of it has re-curled as the relaxer wore off, however I know it is not currently at its full curl potential and there is some damage/breakage, though not entirely noticeable to anyone but myself.

I got this relaxer done about eight months after my hair was chopped without my consent (bad hairdresser) and was so unmanageable for me as it was so short, I couldn't even fit it in a pony.

To bring you up to date:
Last month, I attempted to have my first Deva cut, but it didn't turn out so well. It wasn't that he cut too much off, he just didn't really do much of anything-plus he was rude (there is a thread about my experience in the General Forum).

As a result of a letter I wrote to Deva, I was offered another cut on the house by Ana, who was described to me as one of their best.
For my first Deva cut, I had said I wanted my relaxer gradually cut out and layers touched up, so about a 1/2 inch was taken off overall.
My do-over cut will be May 7th, and I've been contemplating a sort of big chop.

I'm currently loving my length, but I know it doesn't look as good at this length as it should, due to the relaxer. I have about 14 inches of length at its longest places, so leaving me with 6 inches would be way DRAMATIC for me. I know for a fact, I don't want to do quite that big of a chop, but I was thinking maybe at least a 3-4 inch chop.

I think I've just developed a phobia of short hair, since I've seen how bad it can look, but I didn't know how to take care of it then.

Also, I feel like after letting it get so long, the thought of losing 6-8 months of growth, would be devastating.

I sort of want to take advantage of getting my haircut for free by someone so great, and just do something that would increase the curl and health of my hair, especially since the summer is coming, but I'm so scared to. It's almost become a sort of security blanket-embarrassingly enough.

Anyone have any advice? I'm sorry this is so long, it's just I NEED to have my mind made up before May 7th so I know what I want. I just need some help being steered in the right direction.

Thank you so much!

I also have pics in my fotki of what it looks like now :iconbiggrin:
2C/3A-F-iii

Pics (pw: growout):
http://public.fotki.com/Csteen85/

CG since March 2nd, 2008

Currently Using:
Co-Wash: DevaCurl No Poo
Conditioner: DevaCurl One Condition or AOHR not completely rinsed out
Styling (any of the following): AG Re:coil, MOP C-Curl, La Bella Lots of Curls Gel, Angell, KCKT and/or KCCC, AG Mousse-Gel, PM Conditioning or Extra Body Sculpting Foam

Comments

• mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was looking at your Fotki pictures and your hair looks healthy and really beautiful, so that's a plus. What you are doing right now is actually the right things to do. You are cutting it little by little and in the meantime giving your hair TLC. You don't have to do a big cut and if its going to cause you anxiety or grief, I wouldn't recommend it. Like I always say, you do the BC when you feel in your heart it is the right time. I hate short hair and I cut about 10 inches of hair on my head last fall. I would never do something so crazy, but I just knew it was the right time.

Keep moisturizing and taking care of the chemical free part of your hair. Since hair grows about a 1/2 inch or more a month I would recommend getting it trimmed every 3 months or so until the relaxer is 100% gone. It'll be gone before you know it! Waiting is hard, but it'll be worth it. Good luck!!!!
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• GoddessCurlsGoddessCurls Posts: 1,537Registered Users
    I had a lot of the same issues as you when I went curly. I had relaxed for years and during the summers I would just wear it curly cause it was too hot to blowdry. You could never really tell that my hair wasn't natural, I never noticed a demarcation line. I also have a kind of phobia about short hair. If you didn't want to do a big chop but you want to take advantage of the freeby, is there anyway they can give you a gift certificate or something saying you get your next cut free? If you did get a few inches off, how short would that make you? Of course it is possible that she could do a great job and the new shorted "do" is something you could totally live with until you get more length.

It wasn't until I reached passed BSL and noticed that the longest parts of my hair felt rough and really dry, different from the rest of my hair. These were the parts that still had relaxer on them. The curls looked pretty uniform but they felt awful.

btw...I am formarly "Brown&Curly". I changed my name and haven't been able to add to my signature.

Back on Cones,so now my routine is,wash with Deva No-Poo every other day or so. Occasionally use 365 sulfate free,maybe use low sulfate shampoo mixed with conditioner once every two weeks are longer. I condition with Aussie Moist or HEHH. I style with a little GF TN,and finish up with tons of GN Pure Clean Smoothing Cream. No frizz...slippy, happy hair.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    As a result of a letter I wrote to Deva, I was offered another cut on the house by Ana, who was described to me as one of their best.

Congratulations on being assertive and getting the do-over. Good for you! If Ana is one of their best (and I've read great posts about her), then let her advise you, and do the things she suggests that fall within your limits.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • CSteen85CSteen85 Posts: 94Registered Users
    Thanks so much for all of your responses!
    It wasn't until I reached passed BSL and noticed that the longest parts of my hair felt rough and really dry, different from the rest of my hair. These were the parts that still had relaxer on them. The curls looked pretty uniform but they felt awful.

GoddessCurls: This is exactly where I'm at. I can see some breakage toward the bottom where the results of the relaxer are and I'm worried about it traveling up the rest of the hair shaft.

That was the only reason I was contemplating a BC, but if I'm not going to go all the way up to where the healthy hair is, I sort of hardly think it's worth it.

I think I'll go with SBB's technique and ask Ana what she thinks my hair needs. Then, I'll tell her how far I'm willing to go.

Thanks all!
    2C/3A-F-iii

Pics (pw: growout):
    http://public.fotki.com/Csteen85/

CG since March 2nd, 2008

Currently Using:
    Co-Wash: DevaCurl No Poo
    Conditioner: DevaCurl One Condition or AOHR not completely rinsed out
    Styling (any of the following): AG Re:coil, MOP C-Curl, La Bella Lots of Curls Gel, Angell, KCKT and/or KCCC, AG Mousse-Gel, PM Conditioning or Extra Body Sculpting Foam
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So glad to hear that they responded with the free cut after your bad experience. I agree with SBB's advice. It was exactly what I was thinking as I read your post. Let Anna advise you. You don't have to take all of her advice, if any.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file