CurlTalk

Bioterra gel - believe the hype!

jwortonjworton Posts: 196Registered Users
This was recommended to me by a few curlies here - I was a little skeptical because I have NEVER been able to make a gel work w/ my hair, but wow!! I LOVE this stuff! I mixed it in w/ my regular routine (which has been totally failing me as of late because I am way overdue for a trim), so here's what I did:

-CK in shower after hand squeezing a bit of water out
-My own version of plopping w/ t-shirt for 5 min.
-Jessi Curl [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]Confident Coils[/buylink]
-Tiny bit of Pantene curl scrunching mousse
-Bioterra gel
-Plop again for 10-15 min
-Un-plop and scrunched in a bit more Bioterra where I normally frizz

And voila! I have soft, piecy, bouncy curls and NO frizz! :toothy7:
Fine, 3b, protein sensitive

What I like
LLL Green Tea shampoo
JC CCSS, Biotera gel, HETT mousse, GF curl shaping spray gel

Comments

• shellynotshellynot Posts: 1,140Registered Users
    yay! i love this stuff too, its the best gel i've tried :)
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

"Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

• Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    Rock on! I like it too.
  • jwortonjworton Posts: 196Registered Users
    Update -

Going on 3 days of awesome hair - and it lasts ALL day. This just might be my HG...

:occasion9:

What I like
    LLL Green Tea shampoo
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users
    Me too! And Biotera is 2 for $8 at Sally's right now.
  • myCeliamyCelia Posts: 195Registered Users
    Wish it would have worked for me. I tried it once and it flattened my waves. :( It did leave my hair soft and frizz-free though. Of course, it was all I used so maybe I need to start experimenting with combining styling products.
    What's working: MOP-C Hydrating Shampoo roots only EOD, Elucence Moisture Balancing conditioner or Biolage Conditioning Balm; style with Innersense Quiet Calm Curl Control, and the AMAZING KCCC!
    MyCelia I see in your sig you don't like glycerin, it is less than halfway down the list in this.

I'm surprised about the flattening thing though. Did you try to air-dry with it? I only used it with diffusing, and seems to hold up whatever shape the diffuser tells it to.
    Riot Crrl wrote: »
    MyCelia I see in your sig you don't like glycerin, it is less than halfway down the list in this.

I'm surprised about the flattening thing though. Did you try to air-dry with it? I only used it with diffusing, and seems to hold up whatever shape the diffuser tells it to.

Riot Crrl,

The Biotera styling gel was one of my early clues to start avoiding glycerine and the Biotera leave-in, to start avoiding proteins. :( The day I used the styling gel, I did air-dry so maybe that was a contributing factor. I pixie-diffuse now.
    What's working: MOP-C Hydrating Shampoo roots only EOD, Elucence Moisture Balancing conditioner or Biolage Conditioning Balm; style with Innersense Quiet Calm Curl Control, and the AMAZING KCCC!
    Are you in a humid or dry climate? Glycerin in my opinion is a very humidity-sensitive ingredient.

If you still have it lying around and you happen to get a day that's not too dry but not actually raining either, you might want to give it another try with diffusing.
    :lol: Yep, along with a dozen other products. Wish I could remember what the weather was like that day. In Northern Virginia, it's usually very humid late spring through summer. Thank goodness for the Frizz Forecast!
  • KitaraKitara Posts: 1,224Registered Users
    Other than Sally's, do you know where else might you be able to buy this?
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users
    Kitara wrote: »
    Other than Sally's, do you know where else might you be able to buy this?

They have it here:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.discountbeautycenter.com%2FHair-Products%2FStyling-Products%2FBiotera-Styling-Gel-2814.htm" class="Popup
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fjillipoo.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • KitaraKitara Posts: 1,224Registered Users
    Thanks!
    I think I've seen it at Target.
  • NotinabottleNotinabottle Posts: 303Registered Users
    ::delurking::

I always have this gel on hand, I don't use it alone though. My hair lacks moisture no matter what i do and it's thick so the gel alone almost has enough hold, but not quite. I mix it with L.A.looks durahold which thins that gel out and makes it easier to distribute. With that routine it's definately a HG for me.
    3a/b Thick, dry, in need of a haircut.
    HG's: Giovannia Smooth as Silk Conditioner and Aura Hypoallergenic Gel.

Whee a fotki!/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FNotinabottle%2F" class="Popup
    I used this gel for the first time today and I am very impressed with it! I even put some photos in my Fotki of this good hair day!
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl

• curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    Is there protein in the curl cream? I swear I didn't see any... maybe that's why my hair looks so crappy. Off to take another look :wave:
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    Wow-I used this gel a few times now-yes, I know it's not enough to establish consistency in performance-and I love it! But, what I like even better is using the Biotera Curl Cream underneath it today. I hope this keeps working, because this morning I got better results than when I used KKCK/KKKT combo and Mop-C Curl Cream. It's so darned much cheaper to boot. My hair is light and bouncy, very curly, but I think I may need more cream or additional leave-in since I like a heavier, more clumped look. Will the experimenting ever end???? Much thanks to jworton-this thread prompted me to purchase:blob7:
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    jillipoo wrote: »
    I used this gel for the first time today and I am very impressed with it! I even put some photos in my Fotki of this good hair day!

Your hair looks wonderful!!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Aw, thank you, MsG! The photos aren't that good -- my hair actually looked better than in the pictures. This Biotera gel is defining my curls like nothing I've ever used before!

The Biotera gel is a liquidy gel, right? I don't have any of this gel (imagine that), so not sure. I seem to have a lot of luck with definition with the liquidy gels, too. I'm still having good luck with the A/G Liquid Effects -- it is really strong & crunchy and takes awhile to scrunch the crunch out if I'm not careful when applying, but so far, so good. It would be SOOO nice if I could finally have one gel that does the trick consistently.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's liquidy but not runny. More liquidy than Angell, for instance. Even a bit more liquidy than Curl Booster. I have to scrunch a lot to get things loosened up -- if I scrunched this much with another gel, I'd lose definition.

I have the Liquid Effects en route to me as we speak, and I'm eager to see how that measures up -- I get the sense it may be similar.

Liquid Effects is pretty runny - it has a consistency similar to B&A gel.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Katina128Katina128 Posts: 560Registered Users
    I used the curl cream which left me frizzy. Does the gel do that too? I assume it doesn't or y'all wouldn't rave about it. LOL
    Katina, 3a redhead with spirals/waves
    My Faves:
    CJ CCCC Lite, Mirracurls gel, Marie Dean Curly Styling Cream
    Katina128 wrote: »
    I used the curl cream which left me frizzy. Does the gel do that too? I assume it doesn't or y'all wouldn't rave about it. LOL

Pretty much everything leaves me frizzy (seriously) but this gel has been quite remarkable for me because I get no frizz with it. So far, anyway. I'm still in the testing phase but right now, I am delighted that my curls are still defined when I get home from work. Pretty cool.

• Katina128Katina128 Posts: 560Registered Users
    That is great to hear!! I'll pick some up tomorrow. I sold off the curl cream, but am willing to give this a try. I get frizz easily in this east tennessee humidity.
    Katina, 3a redhead with spirals/waves
    My Faves:
    CJ CCCC Lite, Mirracurls gel, Marie Dean Curly Styling Cream
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    jillipoo wrote: »

Your hair looks great! I have pulled this gel out to use today!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    Why, thank you, xcptnl! I don't want to speak too soon (like I did about the Lots of Curls!), but I'm really starting to think this might be my HG gel. And it's inexpensive. How cool is that?

I hope you have a great hair day with it, too! (And yours is looking wonderful. You and kcurls made me start thinking I should try the JoiWhip....)

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I am having a good hair day with this gel. I might try the darn stinky curl cream tomorrow under it and see what happens. I have had these two products for quite some time and they keep getting pushed to the back of the line.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    I just used the curl cream under the gel today, and I am loving the results:toothy7:. These past 3 days I've had the best, most frizzless hairdays since, well, um...it's been a reeeaaaallly long time. The curl cream doesn't smell bad to me at all-maybe because everything else I use is fairly scented...
  • jwortonjworton Posts: 196Registered Users
    Yay, I'm so glad more people have gotten good results with this! I think it does have a lot to do with the liquidy-type consistency. Very easy to distribute.

I am going to have to try the curl cream underneath it, but does anyone know if it has any protein in it? That's a big no-no for me...

What I like
    LLL Green Tea shampoo