Does anything get rid of acne scars?

violetsviolets Posts: 1,689Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I have a bunch spots on my face where old acne used to be. Does anything get rid of that?
If I get rid of that my skin will be perfect! :)

Comments

• wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Are they red marks, or pits?

Red marks will fade. Pits are another matter ...
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It really depends on the type of scarring. If it's red spots (called post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation), that will fade on it's own in 6-12 months, although Vit C will help it fade faster. If it's pitting scars, there's not a whole lot you can do. Copper Peptides are supposed to help remodel pitting scars, but I haven't found them to do much of anything.
  • SisterClaySisterClay Posts: 46Registered Users
    Something you might want to try is Mary Kay's Even Complexion Essence.

http://www.marykay.com/sisterclay/skincare/antiaging/10002640/10002640/default.aspx

If you don't have a consultant in your area, most consultants will mail you products at no charge.
    violets wrote: »
    I have a bunch spots on my face where old acne used to be. Does anything get rid of that?
    If I get rid of that my skin will be perfect! :)
    4a all the way...extra thick

"In its unlocked/unbraided state, type 4 hair is known to shrink up to 75% of the actual hair length."
    --Yeah right, it's more like 95%.

http://public.fotki.com/SisterClay/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PigletPiglet Posts: 1,451Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think I might end up trying the vit C for the red marks. I had a huge zit back in November 2006 and the red mark is still very visible.
    Yes, my tail is naturally curly.
    No, it was NOT me who cried 'wee wee wee wee wee' all the way home.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Some people's red marks don't fade. There are laser treatments for that kind, but I don't think technicians will let you go through with it if you have the kind that fade after a few months.

Depending on how close to the surface the red spots are, a mini-peel or microdermabrasion could get rid of it.

People who have pitted scars can try full-on dermabrasion, but it's a procedure that involves general anaesthesia (the real kind, not twilight sedation), is painful, and seems to be really ineffective most of the time.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    actually, pitted scars usually require derma-planing, which is even more invasive than dermabrasion, but can be quite effective.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • girl_geekgirl_geek Posts: 6Registered Users
    Glycolic acid serums and peels can also help reduce scarring. Fortunately, the only acne scars I have are red marks that disappear on their own after a few weeks or months at the most. I am using the glycolic acid from www.aromaleigh.com but there are lots of other brands out there too.

Glycolic acid also helps exfoliate your skin by breaking up the dead skin cells that can clog your pores and cause acne. Even if you don't currently have acne, the exfoliating properties of glycolic acid are great for anti-aging and helping to keep your skin smooth and soft!

As another user mentioned, Vitamin C products can also help (and are good for most people's skin regardless of whether you have acne). And for red marks, sunscreen can help! Protecting your skin from the sun will help with any sort of discoloration issues!

Finally, as a temporary solution for red marks, use a yellow or green based concealor, since yellow and green cancel out red :)
  • helloitsiohelloitsio Posts: 1,369Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Mandelic acid is good for lightening spots
    2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
    http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/
  • funkediscofunkedisco Posts: 130Registered Users
    helloitsio,

how much mandelic acid are you supposed to use, how often and what order in your skincare routine?
    2a-3a
    Modified CG
    Suave Lavender Co, Tigi MM, CK, Fuzzy Duck/FX Curl

:) Take up a course in happiness :)
  • helloitsiohelloitsio Posts: 1,369Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    funkedisco wrote: »
    helloitsio,

how much mandelic acid are you supposed to use, how often and what order in your skincare routine?

I use mandelic acid at night like one would salicylic acid in the morning. After cleansing, I apply 1 drop of MA on each of my cheeks, my forehead, chin, and nose. Allow 20 min to dry and then continue with my regular routine. I'm currently using a 15% alcohol free MA serum from Garden of Wisdom and I really like it. I also have a MA serum from Diana Yvonne which I have to try. I plan on working up to 15% w/ alcohol because the skin penetration is supposed to be better.

I think the combo of MA at night and Vitamin C in the morning has helped lighten my scars a lot.
    2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
    http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/
    hey all,

i'm thinking about trying the vit. c. My problem is that I have these sorta brownish pinkish spot. They almost look like freckles but I think they are marks from old pimples. Has anyone else experienced this?
    2a-3a
    Modified CG

funkedisco wrote: »
    My problem is that I have these sorta brownish pinkish spot. They almost look like freckles but I think they are marks from old pimples. Has anyone else experienced this?

those are what i had from my teenage acne and they lasted well into my 30s. lactic acid peels worked for me to reduce the appearance of them.
    My blog:

can you do the peels yourself? (any recommended products?) or do you need to see a pro?
    2a-3a
    Modified CG

for mild ones, you can do them yourself, but stronger stuff should be done by a pro.

just do a search on "peel" on this forum - there's info on all different kinds.
    My blog:

• a.l.i.c.e.a.l.i.c.e. Posts: 673Registered Users
    I used the St. Ives Alpha Hydroxy peel mask every day for two weeks before my wedding, and it got rid of all of my old red marks from acne and left me glowing.

This was my routine:
    Wash with gentle (Basis) soap, pat dry, apply mask, peel off once dry (about 20 min.), rinse with cool water.

I have very sensitive skin, and the mask stung a little at first, and left me a little pink afterwards, so I would do it at night before bed. Besides the stinging and pinkness during and immediately after taking off the mask, it did not bother my sensitive skin at all.

I really could be a walking commercial for this stuff. Now I am too lazy to use it on a regular basis, but when I did, it truly worked wonders for my skin.
    botticelli-ish bob.

Current Routine:
    -Suave Aloe & Waterlily cowash/leave-in
    -Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    -FOTE aloe vera gel
  • riotkittyriotkitty Posts: 1,307Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I really like Mychelle Pumpkin Peel for this

Amla masks seem to work too, but they do soak up a lot of oil. For me thats a good thing, but if your skin is dry, then it might no be. Amla is very rich in vitamin C.

Also, just being diligent about exfoliation. I wash with a face brush and use an BHA serum every night.

Thing that sucks is once I get rid of one scar, another deep zit will show up. Always on my chin, too.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Even though I only get the occ. 2-3 zits here and there, they usually will leave a mark once they're cleared. I've been using BHA and Vit C for a few months now and it has helped to fade or clear up a lot of the spots. Unfortunately I still get the PMS megazit every month and am left with another spot to deal with.:sad8: So I feel my skin will never be completely clear.
    Sorry to guano but can someone please explain the difference between BHA's, AHA's, glycolic and mandelic acids? Do they all serve the same purpose or do they do different things? I'm not sure if I should be incorporating any of these other acids into my routine. Thanks!
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • Auburn SunsetAuburn Sunset Posts: 160Registered Users
    If it's not pitted and just a dark spot, Avon Anew Alternative Photo Radiance Treatment, works well too. It says it works in 7 days but it worked for me in about 4 days on one spot. You can get it from Avon.com if you don't know anyone that sells it. It's expensive but they run specials all the time.
    http://members.fotki.com/auburnsunset/

:flower:Happy to be 3B, 3C & 4A
    My Fav's
    Nakia Amour Products
  • YomYom Posts: 1,146Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have red "acne" scars on my chin and jaw area. I have never had severe acne, I used to get a lot blackheads on my chin/jaw and whiteheads on my forehead. I have been using DY WGC and SA since early february and I still get some pimples and the scars aren't fading.

RCW and others: Is there a mini peel that I can do at home which would help fade the scars and not affect my skin barrier? TIA!

If it helps: I can take a picture of the marks and post it here?!
    3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
    Modified CG since 08/10/2007
    http://public.fotki.com/Curly-Y/ (updated september 6)
    pw: currrly
    Yomini wrote: »
    I have red "acne" scars on my chin and jaw area. I have never had severe acne, I used to get a lot blackheads on my chin/jaw and whiteheads on my forehead. I have been using DY WGC and SA since early february and I still get some pimples and the scars aren't fading.

RCW and others: Is there a mini peel that I can do at home which would help fade the scars and not affect my skin barrier? TIA!

If it helps: I can take a picture of the marks and post it here?!

DY sells lactic acid peels that are very gentle for drier skin types.
  • VerityVerity Posts: 616Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Magoo wrote: »
    Sorry to guano but can someone please explain the difference between BHA's, AHA's, glycolic and mandelic acids? Do they all serve the same purpose or do they do different things? I'm not sure if I should be incorporating any of these other acids into my routine. Thanks!

I'm not sure what guano means in this context, but I would love the answer to this question. I have persistent hormonal acne and spots that take forever to fade, and I'm not sure what to do to exfoliate. In addition to the products you mention, I also wonder about retinols.
    Verity wrote: »

I'm not sure what guano means in this context, but I would love the answer to this question. I have persistent hormonal acne and spots that take forever to fade, and I'm not sure what to do to exfoliate. In addition to the products you mention, I also wonder about retinols.

The DianaYvonne.com website has some good info about acids:

In addition to the products you mention, I also wonder about retinols.

OTC retinols do pretty much nothing. Retin-A (and the related other retinoid Rx products) does wonderful things for skin...increase cell turnover, reduce acne, make skin smoother and brighter, reduce fine lines, reduce hyperpigmentation, increase effectiveness of other hyperpigmentation products, etc.
  • VerityVerity Posts: 616Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I thought retinol and retinoid were just two words for the same thing. Thanks for setting me straight!

What's the lowest strength retinoid that would do any good? Can't you get some prescription-strength retinoids online?
    I thought retinol and retinoid were just two words for the same thing. Thanks for setting me straight!

What's the lowest strength retinoid that would do any good? Can't you get some prescription-strength retinoids online?

Medsmex.com carries Retin-A products without a prescription for very reasonable prices. It's a Mexican pharmacy site, and Retin-A is sold OTC there. There are American pharmacy sites, but they are more expensive and some require you to submit an Rx. You could just ask your doc for an Rx also, and maybe your insurance will cover it.

For normal-oily skinned folks, Retin-A Cream 0.025% is where to start. Dry skinned folks can use the emollient form of Retin-A, called Renova. I think Renova starts at 0.05%, but I'm not sure. It might have a 0.025%.

Any Retin-A program should be started V-E-R-Y S-L-O-W-L-Y, as irritation and excessive peeling can be quite a problem. The skin needs to build up a tolerance, so start at once per week at the most and increase only after a few weeks of no irritation.
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte

The DianaYvonne.com website has some good info about acids:

Thanks Redcat, that was very imformative.:toothy7:
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file