How do they expect people to live like this?

noelaninoelani Posts: 665Registered Users
Across the street from the building we live in they built these apartments. They were having an open house this past weekend so just out of curiosity we decided to check them out. They have 1, 2, & 3 bedrooms.

In the 2 bedroom there are only closets in the bedrooms. 1 tiny tiny closet in each bedroom and you can barely fit a few shirts in pants in it. The bedrooms are soo small that if you want more than a bed in there the bed will have to be twin. Any bigger bed and nothing else but maybe a folding chair will fit.

There is no seperate kitchen/living room space. They took one wall and made half of it the kitchen. They put a few cabinets, stove, and microwave and a space for a small refrigertor that who knows if any are even made that size anymore.

About 2 steps across is where I guess you're supposed to put your sofa. You can only fit 1 sofa and that's it. Where will you put your tv is beyond me. There is a little corner next to the kitchen where I guess you can put the tv but it would have to be a flat screen and the only way you'd be able to watch the tv is if you sit all the way on that side because if you're on the right end of the sofa you won't be able to see much because the wall sticks out so it's in the way of the viewing.

No linen closet, no coat closet. No place to put your garabge can in the kitchen. Oh and yes there is a bathroom but it's of course tiny.

You can rent this 2 by nothing for close to $2000 a month.

:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:
"When you are not afraid to fall, that's when you fly the highest"

"You shouldnt let random people who dont love you , arent there to help you with a flat tire, or there to fix you soup when your tummy hurts dictate your choices in life."

Comments

• ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    yikes...are utilities included in the rent? covered parking?
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,374Registered Users Curl Novice
    noelani wrote: »
    In the 2 bedroom there are only closets in the bedrooms. 1 tiny tiny closet in each bedroom and you can barely fit a few shirts in pants in it. The bedrooms are soo small that if you want more than a bed in there the bed will have to be twin. Any bigger bed and nothing else but maybe a folding chair will fit.

There is no seperate kitchen/living room space. They took one wall and made half of it the kitchen. They put a few cabinets, stove, and microwave and a space for a small refrigertor that who knows if any are even made that size anymore.

About 2 steps across is where I guess you're supposed to put your sofa. You can only fit 1 sofa and that's it. Where will you put your tv is beyond me. There is a little corner next to the kitchen where I guess you can put the tv but it would have to be a flat screen and the only way you'd be able to watch the tv is if you sit all the way on that side because if you're on the right end of the sofa you won't be able to see much because the wall sticks out so it's in the way of the viewing.

No linen closet, no coat closet. No place to put your garabge can in the kitchen. Oh and yes there is a bathroom but it's of course tiny.

You can rent this 2 by nothing for close to $2000 a month.:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Sheesh! Where do you live? We pay $1150/mo and have a 2000+ SF single family. And even at that I think the rent is about $300 too high. We had a bigger place outside of Houston (2200+ SF) for less than $900/mon in 2001...and I know prices have gone up but not that much in that nice area...and believe me, the salaries in the area do NOT justify these rents. But we have the world's best landlord.
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• HoneycurlsHoneycurls Posts: 1,889Registered Users
    Because, unfortunately, someone always will be willing to pay good $$ to live like that. It must be close to something that most people consider "important."

Trust me, I know...I live in the SF Bay Area. I am surrounded by people who are overpaying for their homes/apt/condos.

I saw a home north of SF in San Rafael on HGTV's Sleep On It. Basic, older ranch home, with no upgrades but a large backyard with absolutely no privacy. Very mediocre, average 3/2 home. It was maybe 2000 sq.ft--possibly a little more. The prospective buyers didn't even like the home that much. It was listed at 1.15 million...they made an offer on it anyway. They compared that home to comparable homes in Lansing, MI...the comp price was 250K. That is beyond insane. This is at the core of the current mortgage mess. Greed and stupidity.
    OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
    :lurk: Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me! :confused5::laughing5::jocolor:
  • susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,374Registered Users Curl Novice
    Greed is definitely part of the mortgage mess - a HUGE part. Greedy buyers whose eyes are bigger than their wallets and are willing to lie on their applications.

Lenders who see nothing but the almighty dollar and then sell them overseas.....

Some parts of the nation have been traditionally WAY overpriced, SF, LA, NYC, Boston, Miami (I think) while others have a more realistic view of it...but the way of thinking seems to move inward. When we lived in Austin we loathed seeing folks from CA move in --it was guaranteed that housing went up...apparently here in CO the same thing happening...and the market cannot support it.
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Posts: 2,983Registered Users
    To a homeless person, this is a palace. To someone who needs to keep a roof over the heads of his children, this will work. It's incredibly sad that people are forced to live in these conditions, because prices are so high.
    made up of 98.822% silliness!!

beautiful_wonderful_fabulous_jade_antm.gif
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    If that was right downtown (I don't even know what city you live in), and included parking (because parking is ridiculous in most downtown areas) I would definitely live there. I don't mind a small apartment. Sure, some more space would be nice, but it's not necessary. I would prefer to be near all that "important" stuff and in a nice neighborhood with a nice, newish or renovated apartment that have tons of space.

I think it would be a great apt. for a couple. They sleep in one bedroom and use the other for a study, with a futon in it in case a friend wants to stay over. The TV could be a flat screen they hang on the wall. Most of the storage would be under the bed or couch.

And I don't know anyone that pays less than $1000/person to live downtown in a non-sketchy area.

I've seen studio apartments (literally one room about the size of a medium-large bedroom) go for ~1500 in Boston. Some have a "full kitchen" meaning one wall of the room has a sink, small oven/stove, and small fridge. Some only have a stove-top and no oven. Some only have a large mini-fridge. If you've been living in a studio for $1500 alone, that tiny 2-bedroom with your boyfriend is going to seem like a palace!

(Actually, there was an interestign article within the past few months about how tiny living spaces in cities are all the rage).
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    CurlyEyes wrote: »
    To a homeless person, this is a palace. To someone who needs to keep a roof over the heads of his children, this will work. It's incredibly sad that people are forced to live in these conditions, because prices are so high.

Heck, I'm thinking it's a palace to a newly-working post-grad student making $60,000 who's been living in a tiny studio or with crazy roommates for a few years and can finally move up to her own place with her boyfriend!
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • noelaninoelani Posts: 665Registered Users
    susancnw wrote: »

Sheesh! Where do you live?

Bronx, NY I'd understand the price if this was in manhattan because practically everything is extremely tiny and ridiculously overpriced there, but this is the Bronx for goodness sakes. It's really making me think about moving to another state when I graduate but the fam is here.

"You shouldnt let random people who dont love you , arent there to help you with a flat tire, or there to fix you soup when your tummy hurts dictate your choices in life."
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    When I first read your description I was thinking they must be low-income housing units. But whoa, not at that price.
    Who Me? wrote: »

Heck, I'm thinking it's a palace to a newly-working post-grad student making $60,000 who's been living in a tiny studio or with crazy roommates for a few years and can finally move up to her own place with her boyfriend!

I guess I'm different than everybody else. I'd rather stay at home with the parents until I can afford a bigger place. I think it's ridiculous to pay so much money for so little and I don't care how badly I want to move out I would never move into a place like that. I'd suck it up at home til I find something better or til I can afford to move to another stae.

(Actually, there was an interestign article within the past few months about how tiny living spaces in cities are all the rage).

I remember watching Oprah one day and they had on this lady who was living in a studio in NY and I think the place was only 300 square feet, maybe less and she said that it was her dream place and I could not rap my mind around that.

But after that I remember reading something about people who love the city and what it has to offer will live in a extremely tiny place and pay ridicoulous rent prices just because they LOVE the city. Living in the city is enough to make them happy. That is not me. I need my space.

• SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    This seems to be the trend everywhere right now. Pay a lot of money for little space, storage and liveability.

I think we've taken a huge step backwards in living space design.

Sometimes they throw in things like granite counters and stainless steel appliances to justify the cost. But really, we're Americans. We're rampant consumers! What we need is space to hold our piles of clothing, hundreds of shoes, etc.

I'm really dismayed because we have an OLD house with little built-in storage and conveniences. I dream of nice, wide staircases, large closets, open living areas. And now they're going back to cramming in narrow steep stairs, and tiny, narrow, tall useless closets. Boo!
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • Brooke789Brooke789 Posts: 415Registered Users

I remember watching Oprah one day and they had on this lady who was living in a studio in NY and I think the place was only 300 square feet, maybe less and she said that it was her dream place and I could not rap my mind around that.

I wonder if that was the same lady who couldn't open her stove all the way because her kitchen wasn't wide enough.

I also cannot imagine living somewhere so small. Before DH & I bought our house we lived in a ~900 square foot apartment and that was entirely too small for us! I couldn't imagine going back!
  • sopatheticsopathetic Posts: 32Registered Users

But after that I remember reading something about people who love the city and what it has to offer will live in a extremely tiny place and pay ridicoulous rent prices just because they LOVE the city. Living in the city is enough to make them happy. That is not me. I need my space.

Yup, I know a 30-something female that lives in Manhattan in a 300 sq ft. studio, sleeps on a futon, etc. She can't imagine it any other way. She just loves the city.
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    I sometimes forget how crazy rent can be in this city (I live in Brooklyn). I paid the same rent for about 7 years- my husband and I just bought a condo this fall- so I'd been out of the loop for a while. Even bad neighborhoods aren't cheap anymore!
    Brooke789 wrote: »
    Before DH & I bought our house we lived in a ~900 square foot apartment and that was entirely too small for us! I couldn't imagine going back!

Wow, this really made me :laughing6:. In NYC a 900 sf apt is considered big, in fact, in some neighborhoods it would practically be a mansion, lol. I wish my place was that big! TBH, I don't even know why anyone would really need more room than that- HA! :lol: (Well, if you're just a couple, anyway, if you have kids it's a different story.) It's funny how much this sort of thing varies from city to city and town to town.

I saw a show about Japan recently, they showed how one woman made do with her 260 sf apt (which is a common size there), it was actually pretty neat...
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wow, you all have really different standards for apartments. I've only seen a few places in my entire life that don't have those features, and that includes many houses. There are some space differences in some cases, but not that much, and of course a price difference. With the exception of the price and size of the living room, the rest of the stuff mentioned kinda boggles me as to why it's something so bad. A lot of that stuff is pretty standard around here even for nice apartments.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The no closets part would bug me, but I actually think 3 small bedrooms aren't that bad. I'd rather have 3 small bedrooms than 2 bigger ones. I don't know about the living space though. I hate feeling cramped in the living room.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    LOL, I had a place like this! One bedroom served as a walk-in closet with clothes racks in it. It's worth it for a good location in the city - you can use public transit or walk rather than drive a car. I'd honestly rather have a small place downtown than a lot of space in the suburbs or a bedroom community. Ideally i'd have a BIG place downtown though!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You either pay for big homes with lots of property or you pay for convenience. It had better be convenient for that price!
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    Wow.

Maybe I'll stick around this city after all... ;)
    I guess I don't realize how inexpensive the cost of living is around here, until I hear what it's like other places.

If only we had better public transportation!

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • Brooke789Brooke789 Posts: 415Registered Users
    Gemini13 wrote: »
    Brooke789 wrote: »
    Before DH & I bought our house we lived in a ~900 square foot apartment and that was entirely too small for us! I couldn't imagine going back!

Wow, this really made me :laughing6:. In NYC a 900 sf apt is considered big, in fact, in some neighborhoods it would practically be a mansion, lol. I wish my place was that big! TBH, I don't even know why anyone would really need more room than that- HA! :lol: (Well, if you're just a couple, anyway, if you have kids it's a different story.) It's funny how much this sort of thing varies from city to city and town to town.
    I bet you'd really hate to hear how much we paid for rent there! $400/month.
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    i don't need a lot of space. i don't understand why people need really large bedrooms.

why is it that people on the home buying shows want bedrooms with a lot of light? i barely spend time in my bedroom, and i don't want a lot of windows that i have cover (a pain and expensive) to make my bedroom completely dark.

i love some of the designs in The Not So Big House books.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice

I guess I'm different than everybody else. I'd rather stay at home with the parents until I can afford a bigger place. I think it's ridiculous to pay so much money for so little and I don't care how badly I want to move out I would never move into a place like that. I'd suck it up at home til I find something better or til I can afford to move to another stae.

If your job is not near your parents (and if you have been away in college for several years) I would imagine it would be incredibly difficult to live with them.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Munchy wrote: »

If your job is not near your parents (and if you have been away in college for several years) I would imagine it would be incredibly difficult to live with them.

Yep. I always said "Once you move out, you can't go back." Since college, I always felt that only if it were an absolute emergency would I live at home again - and after I finished, I went home for a few weeks, went nuts, and moved out - and I love my parents to death!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Munchy wrote: »

Or if your parents were driving you absolutely insane and you needed to move out for the sake of everyone's mental health. :wink:
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • solangesolange Posts: 2,539Registered Users
    I was home for 3 weeeks after graduating college because my new apartment wasn't ready.

My parents drove me nuts!!
    3C, BSL Unstretched -
    dp
    Brooklyn, NY

HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG

fotki pw= crrrls
    Yeah, for me, living with my Mom after finishing college was only done out of absolute necessity... as soon as I found a job and then an apt, I was outta there! She was on Long Island, so, yeah, I could commute to the city, but door-to-door it took close to 2 hours (each way) and involved a 6 AM wake-up call. No thank you! My Mom and I generally get along well, but like Munchy said, after being away from home for so long I just couldn't stay there.
    Brooklyn, NY

HG products:

fotki pw= crrrls
  • ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I live in Manhattan so after reading this I was like "yeah, so"? :)
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    Gemini13 wrote: »
    Yeah, for me, living with my Mom after finishing college was only done out of absolute necessity... as soon as I found a job and then an apt, I was outta there! She was on Long Island, so, yeah, I could commute to the city, but door-to-door it took close to 2 hours (each way) and involved a 6 AM wake-up call. No thank you! My Mom and I generally get along well, but like Munchy said, after being away from home for so long I just couldn't stay there.

After college I lived with my parents for about a year and a half. :thumbdown: I love them, but more when we don't live in the same house.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file