What's in a celebrity name?

jcejce Posts: 512Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
This is probably my brain malfunctioning from lack of sleep, but while watching a re-run of SATC, I got to thinking about celebrities that are known by first and middle names. I'm assuming it has to do with SAG related stuff, but why two names and not a first name and initial? And what do their friends and family call them? Does Matthew Broderick call his wife Sarah or Sarah Jessica? I don't think she looks like a Sarah, but I can see her being a Sarah Jessica for some reason.

What about Tommy Lee Jones? Why Tommy? Why not Tom Lee Jones, or Thomas Lee Jones? Do his friends call him Tommy or Tom?

What about Philip Seymour Hoffman? Philip Seymour doesn't even flow that well off the tongue without the Hoffman. Is his middle name really Seymour? Or is that perhaps his mother's maiden name or something like that?

Then I got to thinking how many people I know who go by two names. I only know of one, and she started doing that after she got to college. She was Jill in high school, but is now Jill Beth, or JB to family. And her middle name is Beth, not Elizabeth.

OK, rambling over. Feel free to add to, or not, as the mood strikes you.
3b/c normally, 3a/b in the winter

Comments

• CGECGE Posts: 1,911Registered Users
    I only knew one girl in high school that went by two names, but it was Lea Anne.

Other stars that go by multiple names:

Chad Michael Murray
    Tiffani Amber Thiessen
    Mark Paul Gosselaar
    Sarah Michelle Gellar
    Haley Joel Osmet
    Jennifer Jason Leigh
    Anthony Michael Hall
    I used to have a signature but it disappeared and I just couldn't be bothered writing another so please feel free to ingore this.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm sure they have nicknames, or go by their initials.
  • bushyheadbushyhead Posts: 1,676Registered Users
    Jennifer Love Hewitt goes by Love. My neighbor is obsessed with her.
    tt2b5cc.aspx

"Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift . . . that's why it's called the present." - Unknown
  • BiancaBianca Posts: 2,492Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    jce wrote: »
    Does Matthew Broderick call his wife Sarah or Sarah Jessica? I don't think she looks like a Sarah, but I can see her being a Sarah Jessica for some reason.

I saw video of paparazzi walking with her down a street and they kept saying "Sarah!! Sarah!! Look over here!"

It was weird.

I have to say I prefer the double name thing over the initial-with-a-period or the first name only thing.

S. Epatha Markenson or whatever her name is from Law and Order. And I remember a little girl on the Hilary Duff show Lizzy McGuire used to go by her first name only. Seriously kid, you're on the Z list. Get over yourself.
    Shampoo: Herbal Essences-NOYF

Conditioner: Herbal Essences NOYF Conditioner mixed w/ Coppola Keratin Complex Conditioner

+ TJ Nourish and Olive oil combo.
  • KurlyKaeKurlyKae Posts: 3,413Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I grew up with lots of girls with double names. There was:
    AnnMarie and Anne Marie
    Marybeth
    KathyAnn
    Grace Anne
    MaryLee
    PattiJean
    Jeanne Marie
    (wow, that's a lot!)

I was always envious that I didn't have a double.
    One adult friend thinks it's a Catholic thing, I suppose it could be considering most of my neighborhood was Irish or Italian Catholics...though I always thought it was a 60's thing, since none of the parents had a double name.

As for the actors/entertainers, I think it's just a way to distiguish one from another. The SAG union card issue may also be true. I seem to remember a story that Michael J. Fox wasn't really Michael J., but both Michael Fox and Michael...A? B? X?, his real initial were already taken. (now if only some one could tell me why do I remember that?!)
    3a/2c
    Trader Joe's Tingle conditioner wash/ conditioner
    AG re:coil, LALooks gel, John Frieda Secret Weapon
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I seem to remember reading that Michael A. Fox didn't like the way the name would sound with an "A" -- like "Michael, a fox." The J was in honor of another actor, Michael J. Pollard.
  • alisons79alisons79 Posts: 680Registered Users
    bushyhead wrote: »
    Jennifer Love Hewitt goes by Love. My neighbor is obsessed with her.

You don't happen to live in Louisiana, do you???

A guy I work with is obsessed with her and every day the wallpaper on his desktop at work changes. If it's not her, it's Alyssa Milano.
    3A/3B
    I love Jessicurl HCC, Jessicurl Too Shea, KCKT, KCCC, CK and HESMU...but it took a LOT of trial error to get to these products that consistently work for ME.
  • KurlyKaeKurlyKae Posts: 3,413Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    SuZenGuide wrote: »
    I seem to remember reading that Michael A. Fox didn't like the way the name would sound with an "A" -- like "Michael, a fox." The J was in honor of another actor, Michael J. Pollard.
    Hmmm. That sounds familiar, too. Maybe it's another actor who had to change his middle initial. See? Even when I do remember something, it's not even right!
    3a/2c
    Trader Joe's Tingle conditioner wash/ conditioner
    AG re:coil, LALooks gel, John Frieda Secret Weapon
  • KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    It's just an easy way of distinguishing themselves. Have you notices lots of assassins also have three names. Mark David Chapman, John Wilkes Booth. I'm alright for them going by three names or even in abbreviating their first name to an initial (one of my best friends does this because he has gone by his middle name his entire life), as long as they would not inflict their children with strange names. Penn and Jason Lee I'm talking to you!
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    I once dated a guy whose name was two initials. My friends always thought it was odd that I never bothered to find out what the initials stood for even though we dated for a while.
    hello.world.
  • FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
    CCH Pounder always gets me. I just want to call her "CH" as in the sounds you make when you say church.
    [FONT=&quot]Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce & FreeCurls[/FONT]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file