Have a question

:cry::cry:I have not been shampooing my hair for about six months and all is well. My hair is not oily but moisturized and defined. But, my scalp has a gooky buildup on it, if i scratch it it gets under my fingernails. Gross, I know. Does anybody know why this is and how to fix it? I'm tempted to just shampoo just to get it gone, but I don't want to do that either. I cowash with a suave conditioner everyday. Does anyone have any suggestions??? Thanks!! :cry:
3A/3B

CG since Oct 07
Learning to love my curls :love10:

Comments

• NottyNotty Registered Users Posts: 1,456
    Somewhere on this site is a link to brown sugar scrub - but first when you co-wash do you scrub with the conditioner or just put it on. I actually treat the conditioner as a shampoo and scrub as I'm putting it on. Sometimes in the summer it does get a little gunky (thanks to sweat and stuff) then I have to scrub a little more often.

Let us know how you do?
    :toothy7:between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
    http://public.fotki.com/notty6

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!:queen:
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    I haven't been able to shut up about this lately. I had that exact thing and fixed it by using a $0.99 scalp brush to scrub the scalp when I co-wash. Any drugstore should have it.

It might take a few runs at it to start coming really clean, if it's totally gunked out.
  • mermaidgirlmermaidgirl Registered Users Posts: 13
    I scrub my head with the condish, to try to get the gunk off. Somedays it's worse than others. What does the scalp brush look like? Thanks for the suggestions I will go and try to find one!!
    3A/3B

CG since Oct 07
  • eweniqueewenique Registered Users Posts: 1,502 Curl Neophyte
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    Something vaguely like this, but that's not the exact one I got.

Sorry if this is stating the obvious but technique-wise: you won't want to just scrub this all over your head unless all your hair is like half an inch long, lol. When hair is saturated with conditioner I insert it straight into a section, scrub with very small motions for a few seconds, then lift straight out, move to another section, and repeat until whole head is scrubbed. It doesn't tangle this way.

Before this I had done sugar scrubs and eventually moved up to Kosher salt. The sugar scrubs helped some, but not enough. The Kosher salt helped more, but still not enough. The brush is the only thing that really did the trick.
  • mermaidgirlmermaidgirl Registered Users Posts: 13
    Thanks, I will go look for it straight away. Thanks for the instructions too, I wouldn't have known where to start. Thank you all!!
    3A/3B

CG since Oct 07
  • GoddessCurlsGoddessCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,537
    I used to get that too, I use the baking soda dealy! Sometimes I will mix some baking soda and a little water until I get a paste then I just scrub that real good into my scalp. Sometimes I'll mix the baking soda with conditioner mix it together in my hands, scrub my scalp and smooth it on my lengths to clarify a bit

Back on Cones,so now my routine is,wash with Deva No-Poo every other day or so. Occasionally use 365 sulfate free,maybe use low sulfate shampoo mixed with conditioner once every two weeks are longer. I condition with Aussie Moist or HEHH. I style with a little GF TN,and finish up with tons of GN Pure Clean Smoothing Cream. No frizz...slippy, happy hair.
  • ZigaZagaZigaZaga Registered Users Posts: 473
    I have not had a problem with scalp buildup but I have been doing this CG stuff since last Fall and not gone through the hot weather days yet! I too use conditioner and scrub my scalp with it.

That brush looks interesting. I have seen those around but never understood what they were for! hehe! Now I know!

I love brown sugar scrubs on my body so I would bet my head would like those too. :)

Ziggy
    -3A?
    -Fine, ii (almost iii) thickness
    -salon pintura and natural sun-made highlights combo
    -CG since October 2007, rare occasional low poo.
    -Growing it out
    click here for fotki pics
    -pw: ziggy
  • xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    Riot Crrl wrote: »
    I haven't been able to shut up about this lately. I had that exact thing and fixed it by using a $0.99 scalp brush to scrub the scalp when I co-wash. Any drugstore should have it.

It might take a few runs at it to start coming really clean, if it's totally gunked out.

I love my scalp brush and I didnt even have any buildup - it just feels good.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Registered Users Posts: 2,678 Curl Neophyte
    When my scalp and hair starts to feel gross, I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Max-Green-Alchemy-Scalp-Rescue-Shampoo-p-965.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Max-Green-Alchemy-Scalp-Rescue-Shampoo]Max Green Alchemy Scalp Rescue Shampoo[/buylink] and Conditioner. There are no sulfates in the shampoo.

My scalp and hair look and feel great after I use it. I hardly ever have to clarify anymore; this does the trick and it is much gentler than any clarifying shampoo I've found.
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file