The the deva cut for everyone?

i tried callin a devachan salon but they r not open on mondays-what type of curly hair do these people cut? and about how much would it b?

Comments

• shellynotshellynot Posts: 1,140Registered Users
    they cut all types of wavy and curly hair. I've heard Lorraine Massey (founder of devachan) quoted as saying "Where there's a wave there's a curl."

About price, I've seen them range from $35-$150+. Depends on your location and the experience of the stylist. Mine was $50 but my stylist was a second-hand deva trained (he wasn't actually certified but was taught by a deva certified stylist).

HTH!
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

"Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

• CandycaneCandycane Posts: 291Registered Users
    o0o lol-i dont think i wanna spend 200 on a hair cut-i guess ill c but the most they r gettin me for is about 90 bucks
  • NottyNotty Posts: 1,456Registered Users
    I really think the Deva cut must be something like Ouidad's or The curly Hair Institute. With what I've read about all of them - they chose certain parts of the hair and clip in the middle of the 'c' curl. Don't know if this is correct so somebody can correct me on this. Bottom line there are a 'few' out there who do cut curly hair:)
    :toothy7:between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
    http://public.fotki.com/notty6

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!:queen:
    it would take em forever to cut my hair
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've had both the Deva cut and Ouidad cut. They are different. Ouidad cuts on wet hair for shape and fall, then "carves and/or slices" to either debulk or emphasize the curl. Devacut is done on dry hair pretty much curl by curl, like topiary. Having had both I prefer the Devacut
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • mysteryflavoredmysteryflavored Posts: 1,271Registered Users Curl Novice
    At the Devachan salon in NYC, my roommate got a cut for $75.
    the Ouidad cut seems cool and im sure the Ouidad and deva cut r pricey. mmm...i think it b awsome to have someone cut my hair curl by curl until their hand falls off
    i guess thats not bad-but im sure they will take into consideration the persons hair type and a lot of 2bs/c's r sayin they paid about that much
  • shellynotshellynot Posts: 1,140Registered Users
    i guess thats not bad-but im sure they will take into consideration the persons hair type and a lot of 2bs/c's r sayin they paid about that much

that wouldn't be fair if they did. i don't know, but that doesn't seem right...
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

"Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

may b not-i know the place that i go to does. people with straighter hair pay 12 bucks, while im stuck payin 30 :(
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    WHAT. That is rotten business practice. I am used to being charged more for having long hair. Even if they spend 30 seconds trimming it, and half an hour on the guy next to me with short hair. The difference is that I had controlled the fact that my hair was long. Charging more based on texture strikes me as discriminatory.
  • msjananimsjanani Posts: 624Registered Users
    Riot Crrl wrote: »
    WHAT. That is rotten business practice. I am used to being charged more for having long hair. Even if they spend 30 seconds trimming it, and half an hour on the guy next to me with short hair. The difference is that I had controlled the fact that my hair was long. Charging more based on texture strikes me as discriminatory.

Yeah, I completely agree. There's also something very suspiciously "we're going to charge people of color more" about it...
    3A low/medium porosity, medium texture

Current products:
    Stylers: HE Tousle Me Softly, Condition 3-in-1 Mousse
    Conditioners: Terax Crema, Mill Creek Botanicals Henna Conditioner
    Cleanser: DevaCurl NoPoo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theevolutionofcurl/
  • mysteryflavoredmysteryflavored Posts: 1,271Registered Users Curl Novice

Devachan cuts all curlies. My roommate has 3a/b curls and was only charged $75. I'm almost positive that particular stylist charges the same amount for everyone she sees.

Besides, you're told how much they charge before you even show up, and they don't know what your hair looks like.

Devachan cuts all curlies. My roommate has 3a/b curls and was only charged $75. I'm almost positive that particular stylist charges the same amount for everyone she sees.

Besides, you're told how much they charge before you even show up, and they don't know what your hair looks like.
    o0o good, 75 bucks isnt bad at all, but we all know they will be expecting a nice big tip:tongue5:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file