How long have you been CG/or modified CG?

NottyNotty Registered Users Posts: 1,456
I've seen on some fotki's that a lot of you out there have been curly for quite some timelike years. Interesting to see how long people have been curly. I started last summer 2007 and am learning to enjoy my curls - it is a never-ending story. What about the rest of you?
:toothy7:between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
http://public.fotki.com/notty6

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!:queen:

Comments

• msgibletmsgiblet Registered Users Posts: 5,825
    Almost 2 years without straightening at all.
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    About 2 years. Shortly after I joined here - whenever that was.

But I have always been curly. I have only straightened my hair probably 10 times in my life and probably 5 of those were just blowouts at a salon - no flat iron.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • NottyNotty Registered Users Posts: 1,456
    msgiblet wrote: »

Question: Is your hair better now than in the last year - so does it get better the longer you leave it curly. By the way - your hair is absolutely awesome! Great colour as well.

• LoloDSMLoloDSM Registered Users Posts: 3,778
    I'm into my third week modified CG and second week strict CG. My hair seems to be getting better by the day. Also, I had a baby last year. You know how you lose hair afterwards? Well, my new growth (10 months' post-partum), is CURLY! Yay, LoloDSM!:blob7:
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • pinksugarpinksugar Registered Users Posts: 2,346 Curl Connoisseur
    Modified CG since February 2007.
    Notty wrote: »
    msgiblet wrote: »

Question: Is your hair better now than in the last year - so does it get better the longer you leave it curly. By the way - your hair is absolutely awesome! Great colour as well.

Thank you so much! And I love how curly your hair is in your Turks pic! Gorgeous! Humidity is a wonderful thing!

Yes, my hair absolutely has gotten better because it's so much healthier. I'm not CG (didn't work for me), but I don't shampoo or use cones near as much as I did 2 years ago. I also think regular DTs have really helped my hair a lot. Plus, I have to give major credit to this site and all the wonderful, expert curlies from whom I have learned so much and who have helped me almost know what I'm doing now! :wink:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mishka267mishka267 Registered Users Posts: 162 Curl Neophyte
    since june of 2005 without straightening (I never did it much anyway). I didn't know enough about ingredients to be truly CG until 2006 though.
    3A, with some 2A underneath
    Currently using: Deva Low Poo, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner, Jessicurl Confident Coils, Biolage Gelee.

http://public.fotki.com/mishka267/my-messy-mop/

PC05.jpg
  • janeylizjaneyliz Registered Users Posts: 777
    Hi there, I'm a newbie who's been lurking in the background and finally plucked up the courage to post!

I've been in denial for years, cutting my hair short and then growing it but frying it with GHDs every day other than on holiday. The thought of turning up to work with curls terrified me. Until summer 2006 when I thought - why not? So I did it. Since then I've straightened my hair 5 times, 4 were at the salon, and then the GHDs blew up so I've been continually curly for 6 months.
    I went CG 3 weeks ago and the effect has been amazing. People at work keep asking what I've done to my hair. I can't believe it!

I've been using a Jason conditioner, purely because I like the smell (lavender and rosemary) and a fairly ordinary gel, although I am missing my Aveda Be Curly and Confixor mix - I may try them and see what happens.

I've also used the baking soda routine (hair lovely and soft) and the olive oil/conditioner one where I used it, wrapped a towelling turban round my head and went to bed looking like Smurfette. Great results, my hair has been really dry until now.

A very happy CG convert. Oh - and my hair does not smell nasty or anything, I was a bit paranoid about that but I make my daughter smell it each day :toothy7:
    Marchioness Chinoise in the land of Mancunia Productia Junkia in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

DT: AOHR
    Wash: Anita Grant babassu bar
    Leave-in: Body Shop cotton seed curl boost with manuka honey mixed in
    Gel: Umberto Giannini Curl Friends scrunching gel
    Odds & ends Lime juice, honey, Anita Grant cafe latte
    I brush with a Tangle Teezer & love Flexi-8's
    www.public.fotki.com/janeyliz
    www.thelilyfoundation.org.uk
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    I've been CG for (maybe?) 3 years now, but I've been curly for about 20 (I didn't get my curls till puberty). With a handful of exceptions, I've never been a straightener.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,280
    Since the beginning of February.
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • EponaBlackhorseEponaBlackhorse Registered Users Posts: 304 Curl Neophyte
    I've been curly since the day I was born. Luckily both my parents had curly hair so I had no one pushing me to straighten it. I've only ironed my hair once (disaster!) and have only had a hair dryer on it in salons (also disasters except this last time when they used a diffuser). I read Curly Girl last July and have been modified CG since then. I'd like to go strict CG in the next few months.
    3a, medium texture, low porosity(?)
    Poo: KC Come Clean
    Rinse-out Condish: Jessicurl Too Shea
    Leave-in: KCKT
    Styling Products: KCCC, HETT/HESMU, Joiwhip
    Weekly Treatment: Jessicurl Weekly Deep Conditioner
    Monthly Treatment: Henna

Hair Pics (most I've hidden from public view but if you want to see more, PM me and I'll open up the security on them): http://flickr.com/photos/eponaaran/sets/72157610671796089/
  • meltd0wn1meltd0wn1 Registered Users Posts: 10
    I've been CG for about 5 weeks now. No more frizz for me! (well, mostly..) I've always worn my hair curly, but it was usually tied back. I think I've only straightened 3 times? And every time I showered a few hours after because I didn't like it. Curly hair rocks! :blob8:
  • KeeweeKeewee Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Curl Neophyte
    Since October 2005, I have not straightened once since then..
    3A some 3b Total Product Junkie
    P/Wmarissa
    http://public.fotki.com/Keewee
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Registered Users Posts: 3,093
    pinksugar wrote: »
    Modified CG since February 2007.

This is me, too.
    2b/3a.
    Keewee wrote: »
    Since October 2005, I have not straightened once since then..

You have gorgeous hair!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    Like about three months, pretty much. (I have used a couple things that are "bad," and didn't give up brushing until later.)
  • SpunGoldSpunGold Registered Users Posts: 454
    CG since March 2007 - a year.

I was a blow-fried closet curly before and went CG cold turkey after discovering Curly Girl and reading "where there's a wave there's a curl."

My hair is in the best condition it's ever been in. :alien:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fia type: 3a/F/ii Pics! Updated 04/22/10
    CO Wash: Suave Coconut
    Leave-in: Deva Heaven in Hair
    Current Styler: Fuzzy Duck Gel
    finally at waist length!
  • l.deonl.deon Registered Users Posts: 235 Curl Neophyte
    I think I went CG around the end of '06, after going curly in the summer of '06. My hair is so much healthier and I just love the curls! I do straighten every now and then to see how much it has grown.
    3B Mod CG
    Medium texture/ Normal to low porosity / High density

Current Routine:

Shampoo- GTTT, GVP Paul Mitchell Tea tree Shampoo or ACV/ Baking soda (once a week)
    Co wash- Trader Joes Nourish Spa
    Leave in- Shea Moisture Shea Butter leave- in, Elucence
    Gel- BRHG

Holy grail combo Feb 2013: ISO Bouncy Creme with BRHG on top! :blob3:
  • shellynotshellynot Registered Users Posts: 1,140
    On and off for about 4 1/2 years now (i switched usernames thats why it says joined in 2005). But this time around, modified since September 07 and full CG (no sulfates) since January.
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

"Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

• scarriecarriescarriecarrie Registered Users Posts: 382
    :) I've been CG since May 2007 and I'll never go back to shampooing or straightening. My hair keeps getting curlier all the time, the more moisture it gets from natural products. :) My friend keeps straightening her hair and then she wonders why it won't curl like mine. Whatever!!!!!
    Mostly 3A/Some 3B Thick/Dry/Colored/SL
    Loving natural products. Some of my favorites are:
    MHC Scalp Cleanser, Donna Marie Miracurl Gelly, Robert Craig Conditionerloveshower.gif
  • lapushkalapushka Registered Users Posts: 601
    I've been CG since about the summer of 2005, with a hair dye drama in the summer of 2006 (major hairloss, chemical cut, green hair). I had a short (straightenend) bob for about a year, until the damage and discoloration had grown out. Then I started growing my hair again, and I'm going CG now at a much shorter length than when I originally dared to. When it was bob length I couldn't leave it wavy, I looked like bed-head's ugly sister. I have some through-the-years pics in my Fotki.
  • eweniqueewenique Registered Users Posts: 1,502 Curl Neophyte
    April of last year, so one year CG - Yay! I've always liked my wavy/curly hair, but going CG has really brought out the natural curl, so goodbye curling iron! I'm so thankful for all you curlies and your advice and encouragement. :)
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • NottyNotty Registered Users Posts: 1,456
    janeyliz wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm a newbie who's been lurking in the background and finally plucked up the courage to post!

I've been in denial for years, cutting my hair short and then growing it but frying it with GHDs every day other than on holiday. The thought of turning up to work with curls terrified me. Until summer 2006 when I thought - why not? So I did it. Since then I've straightened my hair 5 times, 4 were at the salon, and then the GHDs blew up so I've been continually curly for 6 months.
    I went CG 3 weeks ago and the effect has been amazing. People at work keep asking what I've done to my hair. I can't believe it!

I've been using a Jason conditioner, purely because I like the smell (lavender and rosemary) and a fairly ordinary gel, although I am missing my Aveda Be Curly and Confixor mix - I may try them and see what happens.

I've also used the baking soda routine (hair lovely and soft) and the olive oil/conditioner one where I used it, wrapped a towelling turban round my head and went to bed looking like Smurfette. Great results, my hair has been really dry until now.

A very happy CG convert. Oh - and my hair does not smell nasty or anything, I was a bit paranoid about that but I make my daughter smell it each day :toothy7:
    Welcome - if you're like me you'll learn a ton of stuff here and if you're lucky...................you too can be a PJ like the rest of us:)

• *COLLEE**COLLEE* Registered Users Posts: 95 Curl Neophyte
    Im still in my first week of CG (maybe modified, used a cond. with silicone in it, sadly my hair loved it). My hair was already in pretty good condition before, but I was curling it to smooth out my curl. I decided it was enough already, and am embracing my curls.:wink:
    I love this site, Ive learned so much.
    Lots of med/fine, med (low?) porosity, 2c/3a curls.
    Shamoo once a week
    Conditioners: Biolage Condish Balm, KCKT, JC aloeba, Hayashi system 911 emergency pak for a protein DT.
    Stylers: Recoil, Imply, BRHG.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Since July 2006. In that period I went from shampooing about once a week to shampooing about once a month and back to shampooing once a week....all non-sulfate of course and co-washing in between.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    I've been curly since 1974. Starting the modified CG routine last year helped. My hair is the curliest it's ever been since January--when I joined this site and started to follow some of the suggestions and use the styling products. A good haircut and the season of the year (read that as humidity!) also make a big difference.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KitaraKitara Registered Users Posts: 1,224
    I've never NOT been curly, but I've only been CG for a few weeks now.
  • mitabirdmitabird Registered Users Posts: 226 Curl Connoisseur
    I've always worn my hair curly, and have been CG for almost 4 years.
    Western Pennsylvania

3b, medium textured, medium thickness, medium porosity, protein sensitive
    CG since 6/22/04

CO Washes: Suave Conditioners, Devacurl No Poo
    Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish, GV Conditioning Balm, JC Too Shea
    Styling: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Chi Infra Gel, GF Pure Clean Gel
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
    pw: manycurls
  • hockeymomof3hockeymomof3 Registered Users Posts: 2,159
    I've been curly all my life but for the past 2 or so years I've either been CG or modified. I went about 6 or so months of strict CG then got into washing my hair so now I am mostly modified CG.
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Conditioner - One Condition
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

Looking to try Devacurl Decadence line next! Can't wait to try it.
  • msjananimsjanani Registered Users Posts: 624
    August, 2007!
    3A low/medium porosity, medium texture

Current products:
    Stylers: HE Tousle Me Softly, Condition 3-in-1 Mousse
    Conditioners: Terax Crema, Mill Creek Botanicals Henna Conditioner
    Cleanser: DevaCurl NoPoo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theevolutionofcurl/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights