Asthma - Natural remedies??

CarrollCarroll Posts: 224Registered Users
Hello...I was recently diagnosed w/ asthma but hate to take medicine. I don't take my advair everyday, because I've never really had an asthma attack, just a little wheeze every now and then especially when my allergies are bad like right now. Anyway, just wondering if there are any natural remedies that any of you might know about. Thanks so much:wink:
Say what you mean and mean what you say.

Comments

• KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    I've had asthma practically my whole life and when it's acting up have found nothing that really helps (minty things are best but nothing gets rid of that wheezy breathing through a straw feeling).

Taking the Advair during the time when your asthma is acting up a good way to ensure that you don't have an attack. It's not a fast acting inhaler and trust me. You don't want an asthma attack. While I'm all for keeping medicine use to a minimum I always have an inhaler around. It's very hard to control irritants. The only thing that can keep me from having to use the inhaler so much is to make sure I take allergy meds in season.
  • CarrollCarroll Posts: 224Registered Users
    KookyCurl wrote: »
    I've had asthma practically my whole life and when it's acting up have found nothing that really helps (minty things are best but nothing gets rid of that wheezy breathing through a straw feeling).

Taking the Advair during the time when your asthma is acting up a good way to ensure that you don't have an attack. It's not a fast acting inhaler and trust me. You don't want an asthma attack. While I'm all for keeping medicine use to a minimum I always have an inhaler around. It's very hard to control irritants. The only thing that can keep me from having to use the inhaler so much is to make sure I take allergy meds in season.

Thanks Kookycurl....yes that's kind of what I suspected, I just hate taking medicine. I have Zyrtec which is good, but I just don't want to have to take a pill every single day....uhhhh!!! Maybe I should look into getting allergy shots????

Thanks for your response:wink:
  • riotkittyriotkitty Posts: 1,307Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't know of anything specifically for asthma, but I know of a couple of things for allergies that may help by limiting your allergic response.

The first is local honey. Eating a little local honey a few times a week is supposed to get your immune system used the pollens in the are, lessening your allergic response.

The second is the supplement Quercetin. It is a natural antihistamine. In fact its recommended you don't take it at the same time you take a regular antihistamine because it can be too much on your system. You can take them both in the same day, just wait a few hours. Unlike regular antihistamines, Quercetin doesn't make you drowsy and is has a benefit of being good for your heart.

The third is allergy shots and treatments. I haven't done this, but friends of mine have and have reported very positive results.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
    riotkitty wrote: »
    I don't know of anything specifically for asthma, but I know of a couple of things for allergies that may help by limiting your allergic response.

The first is local honey. Eating a little local honey a few times a week is supposed to get your immune system used the pollens in the are, lessening your allergic response.

The second is the supplement Quercetin. It is a natural antihistamine. In fact its recommended you don't take it at the same time you take a regular antihistamine because it can be too much on your system. You can take them both in the same day, just wait a few hours. Unlike regular antihistamines, Quercetin doesn't make you drowsy and is has a benefit of being good for your heart.

The third is allergy shots and treatments. I haven't done this, but friends of mine have and have reported very positive results.

thanks riotkitty....yes yes, I have done the local honey thing and it did help, I need to run out today and buy some more!!! I just worry that w/ my asthma now I may have a weird reaction (I've heard that is can make asthma worse????) Wow, never heard of the Quercetin, I will definately look into that next time I'm at our natural food store. Yes allergy shots I may need to look into for sure, I know there are some great doctor's in the area when it comes to that...I just don't want to be poked and proded a thousand times:cry: Thanks again:wink:
  • riotkittyriotkitty Posts: 1,307Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Carroll wrote: »
    riotkitty wrote: »

thanks riotkitty....yes yes, I have done the local honey thing and it did help, I need to run out today and buy some more!!! I just worry that w/ my asthma now I may have a weird reaction (I've heard that is can make asthma worse????) Wow, never heard of the Quercetin, I will definately look into that next time I'm at our natural food store. Yes allergy shots I may need to look into for sure, I know there are some great doctor's in the area when it comes to that...I just don't want to be poked and proded a thousand times:cry: Thanks again:wink:

I also have allergy-related asthma, but mine doesn't sound as bad as yours. The honey has never bothered me, and I eat it almost everyday. I put it on my Cheerios. Another thing I forgot to mention is when my allergies are acting up, I try not to eat foods that people are often allergic to like nuts, shellfish and tropical fruit. I've noticed that if I do eat these things my allergies seem worse.

I've been wanting go do the allergy shots myself, but its such a hassle to make the appointments an take off work and yadda yadda.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
  • Scuba GalScuba Gal Posts: 383Registered Users
    I have tried everything from local honey to a macrobiotic diet to help with my asthma and nothing seems to really make a difference.

I take pulmicort daily- which I found for me works better than singular and advair- I only started using it because I was pregnant and it was safer-but it has worked 10X better than other meds.
    Thanks for all of your help girls, I appreciate it!!! :toothy7:
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    i would also look at your home environment. do you have wall-to-wall carpets? even daily vacuumed carpets and carpets that are steam cleaned a few times a year hold onto lots of dirt, dust, dander, skin cells, pollen, pet debris, and other pollutants and allergens. hard woods or tile floors that are not porous and can be easily damp mopped several times a week are probably more friendly alternatives. using more natural cleansers like lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, peroxide, and liquid castile soap are better alternatives than toxic commercial cleansers that have strong fumes which could compromise your breathing. http://www.noattacks.org/

also, invest in special bedding that retards mites and their excrement, which is a serious allergen for people with breathing problems. supposedly, their residue can't become embedded into the fibers of the special sheets so that you won't be breathing in the residue day after day. http://www.achooallergy.com/dustmite-encasings.asp?utm_id=624

additionally, wash your bedding in HOT water once or twice weekly.

if you have a window in your bathroom, open it a couple of days a week for ventilation to retard mildew growth. use full-strength peroxide in a spray bottle to spray on grout and areas to prevent mold/mildew growth.

if your asthma is really bad, you may want to consider leaving your shoes at your front door so that you won't be tracking in dirt and allergens from outside through your house.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • solangesolange Posts: 2,539Registered Users
    Ditto to everything rainshower said. Also you can look into accupuncture treatments. My local doctor provides this for her allergy and asthma patients.
    3C, BSL Unstretched -
  • CurlsCurls Posts: 72Registered Users
    Hello!
    Lots of great information on Allergy related asthma here.

Just in case anyone lurking or reading this needs to hear it, I want to take the opportunity to step on my asthma soap box. Please bear with me and I hope that there is some useful information for you Carroll!

~steps onto soap box~

As someone who has been dealing with Asthma for over 25 years, (and believe me, NO ONE had asthma when I was diagnosed) I want to reiterate what someone said earlier. Advair is not a fast acting inhaler. Take you meds. (i know meds are bad...etc)

If you have an asthma attack advair will take some time to begin to work and it will work less effectively as you are unable to inhale properly. You should always have a fast acting medication like a ventolin or subutamol just in case of an emergency. Ask your doctor about that!

Asthma is a deadly disease that people die from every year. Managed, asthma can be little more than an inconvenience. But please don't play with fire.

Asthma CAN be triggered by allergens, which is why the line often gets blurred, but it is not always. It is a constriction of the bronchial tubes and increase of development of mucus in the tubes in your throat, restricting the amount of oxygen your body can absorb. Taking your meds regularly will help prevent a sudden attack.

I am not any less guilty of hating the medication or trying to skip dosages as it can be expensive, but please be aware of your body and symptoms you may be having trouble breathing. (for example are your shoulders moving towards your ears when you breathe? etc)

~steps off soap box~

(I find an onion will give me about a minute and a half of clarity if I can stand the smell, but just a quick sniff or else my eyes will get watery! ;) )

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I hope that everything works out and you discover a way to manage the disease in a way that works for you!
    "I don't like to say I have given my life to art. I prefer to say art has given me my life."
    -Frank Stella
  • pinksugarpinksugar Posts: 2,346Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Curls - Thank you. I couldn't agree with you more.

My son has allergic asthma and has been taking Advair for the last 3 years. I still have to make sure he takes his Advair everyday. I feel like a broken record stressing to him how important it is to take his twice daily dosage of Advair. He has never had an asthma attack but carries his inhaler with him to baseball practice and school.

Back to OP, I don't know of any natural remedies. Sorry.
  • MMWMMW Posts: 557Registered Users
    Wow, there are some great tips in this thread that I will definitely need to try! I have had asthma for many years, but I am just now beginning to feel like I have it somewhat under control. I am currently on Advair (100), Allegra, and Flonase; I have also started allergy shots.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file