Going CG and need help!

I went out this weekend and bought the Curly Girl book and decided to go CG! Saturday was my first day to not wash my hair with shampoo, and today is my second day to wash my hair. I used Aubrey Organics Island Naturals (they didn't have the Honeysuckle rose) that I saw posted here. It smells awful, but it seemed to leave my hair pretty soft. So I used a bit to co-wash and then to condition. Today is my second day to Co-wash and condition. My problem is that my scalp feels super itchy! Is this normal? I just feel it's not clean enough and almost shampooed. But I resisted.

Is it normal for my scalp to feel itchy in the beginning? When will I feel it's clean? I think my hair might be too thick to just co wash with no shampoo, is this possible? Any recommendations? I really want to stick to this new regime, but I'm freaking out about the no shampoo! Are the recipes that are in the book any good? Do I HAVE to use them for this to work?

Thanks!
3B, thick, course, and lots of it!
Currently using:
Suave Coconut, Kinky Curly Knot Today & KC Curling Custard, Bioterra Gel (HG Combo!) :love1:
Also used:
FOTE,DevaCare No Poo, OneC, ArcAngell, SIF, Jessicurl RR, CC,Too Shea, Ouidad, CK, PM Mousse, Biolage gelee.
:;-)

Comments

• SpunGoldSpunGold Posts: 454Registered Users
    CurlyBel wrote: »
    My problem is that my scalp feels super itchy! Is this normal? I just feel it's not clean enough and almost shampooed. But I resisted.

Is it normal for my scalp to feel itchy in the beginning? When will I feel it's clean? I think my hair might be too thick to just co wash with no shampoo, is this possible? Any recommendations? I really want to stick to this new regime, but I'm freaking out about the no shampoo! Are the recipes that are in the book any good? Do I HAVE to use them for this to work?

Welcome to CG! Starting and sticking with it is the hardest part, especially because the first few weeks are the hardest. I started CG cold turkey from straightening all the time, so it took me a couple of months to figure things out before my hair started looking better.

My advice to you is first patience. CG has a weird phase before it starts helping. Your scalp will produce the amount of oil it's used to producing to make up for being stripped with sulfates for so long. You'll also need to get used to your hair not having that "squeaky clean" feeling. It's clean, just not stripped. Itchies are normal while your hair and scalp adjust to your new routine.

Some of the recipes in the curly girl book are good, some aren't so good. There are a ton of posts about them, try running some searches on this board and read all you can find about them before trying it. You don't have to use any of them for CG to work for you.

Hope some of this helps you feel better! There's a ton of information here, so don't be afraid to run some searches and read all you can.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fia type: 3a/F/ii Pics! Updated 04/22/10
    CO Wash: Suave Coconut
    Leave-in: Deva Heaven in Hair
    Current Styler: Fuzzy Duck Gel
    finally at waist length!
  • shellynotshellynot Posts: 1,140Registered Users
    It is 100% normal. It may take a couple weeks of feeling a little bit itchy, which sucks but it is worth it in the end!

I do have one suggestion though; you might try co-washing with something lighter than the Aubrey Organics conditioner. You might try a Suave Naturals conditioner (lots of people like coconut, i like vanilla floral) or a VO5 conditioner.

Good luck and stick with it!!
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

"Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

• hopetocurlhopetocurl Posts: 1,280Registered Users
    The Lavendar mist is a great refresher. I have heard that the brown sugar scrub is also good, I haven't tried it. I tried the Whatta Curl Wants, but only used 2 tsps of glycerin and the rest water (in an 10 oz bottle). Hang in there.
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    My scalp did not seem to mind a lack of shampoo at all, but it hated not being brushed. (Hair loved it though)

I got one of those shampooing brushes so I can scrub the scalp with it but not brush hair. (I do this with conditioner in.) It was 99 cents and saved me from going back to shampoo.

The brown sugar scrub was better than nothing, but not enough for me. I had escalated up to Kosher salt (which still wasn't enough) before getting the brush.
  • meltd0wn1meltd0wn1 Posts: 10Registered Users
    My scalp was really itchy for the first two weeks or so. I think someone recommended using the brown sugar scrub somewhere (?) so I tried that and it helped keep the itchies away for a day or two. I'm about 5 weeks into the CG thing, and no more major itchiness for me.
  • CurlyBelCurlyBel Posts: 77Registered Users
    Thank for your advice. I'm going to keep going and see how it goes. BUT, I just came back from my son's haircut place and I bought him a shampoo (because he wanted the blueberry fragance). I looked at the ingredients and I think I can use this! I'm not very familiar with the good and bad ingredients yet, so if someone can please look at these and let me know if I can use this as a CG without ruining the effects. Please be advised it's a kids shampoo so the name is funny! But my son has curly hair and his hair always looks good after they wash it.

Their website is: http://www.circle-of-friends.com/

Hans' Oom Pah Pah Shampoo

This wonderful blueberry scented shampoo, full of fresh botanical ingredients and formulated for all hair types is tearless and free of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate for the ultimate gentle shampoo.

Ingredients
    Water (Aqua), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Vaccinium Angustifolium (Blueberry) Fruit Extract, Stellarra Media (Chickweed) Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Panthenol, Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Polyquaternium-7, Glycol Distearate, Laureth-4, Lauryldimoniumhydroxypropyl Decylglucosides Chloride, Isostearamidopropyl Morpholine Lactate, Acrylates/c10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Di-PPG-2 Myreth-10 Adipate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Tricetylmonium Chloride, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, PEG-150 Distearate, Sodium Laureth-13 Carboxylate, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Citric Acid, Aminomethyl Propanol, Sodium Chloride, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Tetrasodium EDTA, Propylene Glycol, Quaternium-15, Methylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum), Red 33 (CI 17200), Blue 1 (CI 42090)
    Currently using:
    Suave Coconut, Kinky Curly Knot Today & KC Curling Custard, Bioterra Gel (HG Combo!) :love1:
    Also used:
    FOTE,DevaCare No Poo, OneC, ArcAngell, SIF, Jessicurl RR, CC,Too Shea, Ouidad, CK, PM Mousse, Biolage gelee.
  • cmariecmarie Posts: 40Registered Users
    Here is what I did when I started almost 2 years ago. I just couldn't see myself starting out the whole process and completely giving up shampoo. So I did the "wavy" method of washing. I can't remember the page number but it is in the book. Just doing that and seeing the results from my hair was completely amazing and I was hooked on the whole philosophy of CG. Just remember to condition the ends really well and only use a "drop" of shampoo on your scalp only. It was a better alternative for me than quitting. Hope this helps.
    cmarie wrote: »
    Here is what I did when I started almost 2 years ago. I just couldn't see myself starting out the whole process and completely giving up shampoo. So I did the "wavy" method of washing. I can't remember the page number but it is in the book. Just doing that and seeing the results from my hair was completely amazing and I was hooked on the whole philosophy of CG. Just remember to condition the ends really well and only use a "drop" of shampoo on your scalp only. It was a better alternative for me than quitting. Hope this helps.

I thought about doing that, but felt it was "cheating". I think I'll do the brown sugar scrub today. I think my mistake was that I didn't do the final shampoo before I started on Saturday. I just went cold turkey and scrubbed by scalp with conditioner. I have my first Devacut next week, and I was thinking about asking the stylist what she thought. I'm assuming she is going to "no-poo" my hair with the Deva product (or I hope she does)! It's only been a few days for me going CG, but I'm already noticing much softer hair (I don't know if that's possible).

I guess I'll have to stay away from my kids' shampoo, but considering they both have some wave/curl to their hair, maybe I should keep them away from it too!
    Currently using:
    Also used:
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users
    Before starting a CG routine, you need to clarify first. Some people say lemon or vinegar rinses work. I go ahead and go all out and use a clarifying shampoo.
    Then you have a fresh start and you can better do the CG routine. Give it time, several weeks, to work before making judgments and before making any adjustments (like whether you want to shampoo once in a while with or without sulfates or how often you need to CO wash, etc.).
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
    I'd use the harshest detergent around for beginning clarification. The point is to start with a cone-free slate, and lemon or vinegar won't do that if you have silicone in your hair.

The news gets even worse: I think it's advisable to suds the whole length of your hair with it, rather than like normal washing where you might just focus on the roots and rely on runoff to clean the length.

Hair will probably not feel so happy after this. It's annoyed by detergent, and should be lacking a wall of silicone behind which to hide its true condition.

The good news is now you can hit it with a heavy moisture DT and the hair should actually be interested in drinking it, which it might not have been able to behind the cones.
    So should I start all over again? :cry: I have only been using Paul Mitchell products (mousse and glaze), Curls Rock, and recently CK. Do you think I still have a lot of silicones? I don't think I have used any silicone products in a while. I have always washed my hair with Head and Shoulders (because I tend to get flakes, but I think it's just my scalp that's over dry!) Do you suggest maybe washing my hair with Head and Shoulders one last time, then start the CG method? Which shampoo is the harshest?

Thanks for all of your input!!
    Currently using:
    Also used:
    I don't know exactly what Curls Rock products they are, but the couple I have looked at only have cyclomethicone which should co-wash out. And the PM I think is just dimethicone copolyol which, ditto. The clarification situation may not be dire.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file