My dog & seizures

xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
<<<<Cutey dog occassionally has seizures (he has been all checked out by a vet and until they get much more frequent they prefer not to medicate).

Anyways - he had one last night (the first one in probably 4-5 months) and it makes me soooo sad. He looks so confused and scared - it makes me cry.

So last night I slept in the living room (he sleeps downstairs) just to make sure he didn't have any issues during the night. He slept great - me, not so much.

I hate when animals are sick or hurt - it makes me feel so useless.
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~

Comments

• wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Aw, poor little guy.

My cousin's poodle had those, they are very scary. He was on medication for them, to reduce their frequency.

He's very lucky to have you!
  • shellynotshellynot Posts: 1,140Registered Users
    my dog has been getting those for years and its so sad and scary. Its especially awful when he can't control his bowels during it. His little legs are just flexed so hard and there's nothing you can do.

My mom said that apparently they can't see during the seizure or for a couple minutes before and after. I hate it and i just hold onto him and wait for it to pass.
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

"Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

• texascurlytexascurly Posts: 1,967Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My poodle has them also. It's so sad. She gets so scared. What really bothers me is that in all likelihood, she's had them when no one was around.

My vet has said the same thing...they don't want to medicate unless they get really frequent. I document when she does have them...time of day, how long they last, etc. I really haven't found any patterns though.

My little furry child sends a doggie kiss and tail wag your way...she understands all about those nasty seizures.
  • duckyducky Posts: 927Registered Users
    my cat back home has seizures. Same thing - doctors won't medicate until it becomes serious. He used to have them about once a month, then once every three months, now it's maybe once or twice a year. He's 11 now, and otherwise in perfect health.

No fun, though, ((hugs)) to you and your sweet puppy.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    texascurly wrote: »
    My poodle has them also. It's so sad. She gets so scared. What really bothers me is that in all likelihood, she's had them when no one was around.

My vet has said the same thing...they don't want to medicate unless they get really frequent. I document when she does have them...time of day, how long they last, etc. I really haven't found any patterns though.

My little furry child sends a doggie kiss and tail wag your way...she understands all about those nasty seizures.

Casey definitely gets them when he gets real excited/anxious. That is the only pattern I have noticed.

Thanks for all your kind thoughts. He has been real lowkey today - I think they make him tired.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    Our male St. Bernard has something wrong with him. Last fall we found him in the morning laying in the mud and thought he was dead. He was barely breathing. It took us over 30 minutes to be able to haul him to the truck (think completely limp St. Bernard full of wet mud. Not good). At the vet, he started seizing. He spent 4 days hooked up to valium and was just fine. Cause unknown. Fast forward a few months and it happened again. Exact same thing.
    For whatever unknown reason, he has grand mal seizures, and it's taking 10x's longer to come out of them than it should. That is the concern. The first time, once they got the seizing to stop, it took him 3 days before he was up walking around (and still not 'normal'). The second time, it took him at least a full week before he was acting normal. They've taken x-rays of his entire body and ran every test they can. They don't want to medicate either. The only thing we can do is take him to the University and spend a minimum of $2000.00 for a small chance of finding something. We have decided to let it be and just keep a close eye on him. He's perfectly normal and healthy (other than the two times).
    Seizures are a crazy thing. Most dogs will live a normal and healthy life despite them.
    Big hugs to Casey. And big hugs to you. I know the stress and worry.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My last dog was epileptic. He took phenobarbitol (sp?) from about 7 yrs old until just before he died of cancer at 14. Why are they so reluctant to medicate? Unless they don't use that anymore, but it worked wonders for my dog who had grand mals several times a week. He never lost control of his bowels though. He'd just go stiff and take a long time to come out of it. They always made him tired. After he went on the meds, he had a rare seizure but it was mild and over quickly.

Good luck and healthy vibes to your pup. ((hugs)) I know how scary it can be.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My border collie/husky mix had epilepsy as well. His seizures increased in frequency, although initially, the phenobarbital helped.

I wish your vet would consider medicating cute Casey. A mild dose would certainly help if he's seizing frequently.

I still miss my epileptic Francis.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I hope your vet can recommend some meds to help him!!

Speckla
  • yogawavesyogawaves Posts: 368Registered Users
    My dog suffers from seizures too. Try to keep strong "perfumy" smells to a minimum, this seems to send my dog into a seizure. He is on pheno and potasium. Feel free to pm me. I hope things get better.
    Also, I feed him nutra lamb and rice as recommended by the vet, it is suppose to help. No table food at all.
    yogawaves, formerly known as yogagirl
    They feel that unless he has them alot it's not a benefit to medicate. I am actually OK with that. I hate to put him on medication for something that happens 3-4 times a year (so far). They last for about 2 minutes and he does come out of them and acts fine in about 20 minutes.

2Happy - that must be so scary that they last so long for your dog - sending you healthy dog thoughts!!!
    Central Massachusetts

yogagirl wrote: »
    My dog suffers from seizures too. Try to keep strong "perfumy" smells to a minimum, this seems to send my dog into a seizure. He is on pheno and potasium. Feel free to pm me. I hope things get better.
    Also, I feed him nutra lamb and rice as recommended by the vet, it is suppose to help. No table food at all.

He does not get table food-he only gets the eukunuba senstive skin food. He seems to get them when he gets excited or anxious - the other night we were playing with him then I cleaned his ears so he was both excited and anxious.
    Central Massachusetts

Hi,
    You are right about the medication, all the vets that I spoke with agreed that you don't medicate unless they have at least 3 a month. that's what my dog was having. excitement is definitely a trigger.
    Yes, those aren't frequent enough to warrant meds. My dog was having a few a week, for 10-15 min at a time. Super scary! :eek: With meds, they were a few a year, maybe 5 minutes tops.
    Curlilocks, If you don't mind me asking what combination of drugs is your dog on? the reason I ask is every now and then my dog needs is meds readjusted because he'll start having 3 or so a month. tia
    btw, I really like how some of u have your dogs picture near your name. I'll have to figure out how to do that! I love to see those cuties!
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    nm.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
    yogagirl wrote: »
    Curlilocks, If you don't mind me asking what combination of drugs is your dog on? the reason I ask is every now and then my dog needs is meds readjusted because he'll start having 3 or so a month. tia
    btw, I really like how some of u have your dogs picture near your name. I'll have to figure out how to do that! I love to see those cuties!

Sorry, this thread got buried and I missed this. This was actually my prior dog, not my current one, but he took phenobarbital for the seizures. He was also extremely hypothyroid (almost none) so he was also on synthroid. Sometimes these 2 conditions go together in pets.

I think the phenobarbital was around 60 mg. Or was it 30 mg. ?? I forget since it was over 14 yrs ago. But he had to take it twice a day, synthroid once a day in the AM. We were able to lower the pheno dose as he got older and didn't have seizures anymore. And he actually quit when we found he had pancreatic cancer. I think he outgrew it or something.

You may need to up the dosage for a while. How is the rest of his health? Not getting plump with a poor coat, I hope. That could signal thyroid problems.
  • FermunneyFermunney Posts: 48Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    AWWW! I hate it when my guys are sick/hurt too, and there is nothing you can really do for them. I've got a seizure pup too. No need to medicate, though, thankfully, because I switched him to a grain-free diet and that so far has kept them under control. He's actually been seizure free for months! I'm just hoping the grain-free continues to work, and we won't ever have to use meds.

Foz sends hugs.
    3a/b : CG since Feb 08
    xcptnl - how's your pup?
    He seems not to have any other medical problems, but as I said he has to get his meds increased every now and then. he goes through stages where he seizs more. He takes pheno and some kind of potasium pill. He is also on a special diet, it's really hard because if he gets some kind of table food I notice it triggers a seizure.I don't give him any, but, when I walk him he constantly grabs any food he sees, the medicine increases his appetite (confirmed by vet), I try to watch but sometimes he is just too quick for me.
    thanks for replying.
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    xcptnl - how's your pup?

Thanks so much for checking. He seems to have a cluster of them and then he won't have any for months (he had 1 more that next day after the one I posted about) but none since then.
    Central Massachusetts

yogagirl - yeah, my dog eats anything he can scoop up if I don't watch him carefully, even then...

xcptnl - good to hear. As long as the clusters are far apart that way, they probably won't medicate. Good luck. :)
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    xcptnl wrote: »
    I hate when animals are sick or hurt - it makes me feel so useless.

Oh, I know. :( Our dog ate some plants from the backyard that he shouldn't have, a few days ago. We called the poison control center and they said he should be fine, but that night he was awake and throwing up. It was terrible.

I felt like a new parent or something. I stayed up with him for most of the night and stressed out. It's so strange how when these kinds of things happen, you lose all recollection of what is and isn't normal behavior for them! I spent most of the night trying to remember if his kicking and funny noises were normal. Looking back, I now realize he was dreaming. :laughing7:

Hope your little guy is doing well, though. I imagine that must be difficult for both of you.

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file