Expanded food recall: cantaloupes & mixed fruit

webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
Effective March 27, 2008, three more companies are conducting recalls of cantaloupe or fresh cut fruit products which may contain cantaloupe from Agropecuaria Montelibano, a Honduran grower and packer due to possible Salmonella contamination.
·Chiquita Brands International, Inc. has announced a voluntary recall of cantaloupes grown, packed and shipped by an independent third-party grower, Agropecuaria Montelibano in Honduras. The product was distributed to customers nationwide and is being recalled because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. For more information on this recall, please visit: http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/chiquita03_08.html
·Bounty Fresh, LLC, has recalled cantaloupes from Agropecuaria Montelibano, a Honduran grower and packer because the U.S Food and Drug Administration ("FDA") has determined, based on current information, that cantaloupe fruit from this company has the potential to be contaminated with salmonella, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. For more information on this recall, please visit: http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/bountyfresh03_08.html
·Simply Fresh Fruit, of Los Angeles, California is recalling selected fresh cut fruit products which may contain cantaloupe which has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. On March 26, 2008, Simply Fresh was requested by its supplier, Tropifresh, Inc to recall products produced with cantaloupe from Agropecuaria Montelibano. Simply Fresh had begun to recover this product earlier, on March 24, based on a notice published By the U.S. FDA. For more information on this recall, please visit: http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/simplyfresh03_08.html

And as a general FYI, there were food recalls this past month involving acme cinnamon rolls, aunt jemima products, toddler pear juices, cagle's poultry giblets, and pre-cooked langostinos.

hello.world.

Comments

• CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Posts: 2,648Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Dumb question, but this is only for cut cantaloupe, right?
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    It was for mixed fruit that contained cantaloupe. It seems like it was all fresh fruit in those serving trays or individual mixed fruit servings. not the canned stuff.

forgot another recall: Westland/Hallmark Meat Company (Westland) recalled nearly 145 million pounds of beef products because the product may contain foreign material/non-microbial contamination.

ConAgra has now been notified by Westland that its recall now extends to beef-based product.This product includes Slim Jim, Pemmican and Harley-Davidson flavored beef jerky.
    hello.world.
    I got scared for a moment. I thought about the whole cantaloupe I just bought. I was like, now they're recalling fresh fruit, for crying out loud?
  • jcejce Posts: 512Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Nevermind. I just realized that you posted links. Duh me.
    3b/c normally, 3a/b in the winter

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    CocoaCoily wrote: »
    I got scared for a moment. I thought about the whole cantaloupe I just bought. I was like, now they're recalling fresh fruit, for crying out loud?

Fresh canteloupe sometimes have samonella bacteria on the outside, which can be transferred to the edible part when cut with a knife. They should be washed very carefully before you cut into them.
    jce wrote: »
    Webjockey,

Where do you get your recall information? I'd love to be able to try to stay on top of things like this myself.

thanks.

I get them from America's Second harvest via email, but I don't know if they only send these emails to those who work for food banks, or to the general public.

You can sign up on the FDA's website for food recalls and see what's being recalled here:
    http://www.fda.gov/OPACOM/7ALERTS.HTML
    hello.world.
    SuZenGuide wrote: »

Fresh canteloupe sometimes have samonella bacteria on the outside, which can be transferred to the edible part when cut with a knife. They should be washed very carefully before you cut into them.

I never thought of that. I never wash my melons before I cut them. I will from now on, though!
  • FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
    Oh for crying out loud! With all these food recalls I'm buying a farm and growing my own food!
    [FONT=&quot]Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce & FreeCurls[/FONT]

• hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

I never knew this. Thanks for the tip. Now if I put it in my fridge before I cut it, am I risking contamination of anything else in the fridge?
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
    hmkenny wrote: »

I never knew this. Thanks for the tip. Now if I put it in my fridge before I cut it, am I risking contamination of anything else in the fridge?

I guess if you put another piece of food up against the cantaloupe, you could transfer the salmonella. Probably best to wash it as soon as you get home.
    FreeCurls wrote: »
    Oh for crying out loud! With all these food recalls I'm buying a farm and growing my own food!

I got inspired to join one of those organic produce cooperatives this year.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Rats...how do we know our cut cantaloupe was affected? I guess I will just throw it out. I bought it yesterday but I don't want to assume that the grocery store is up on it's recalls.

Oh well, a few dollars is not worth the risk of getting sick or hurting the unborn kiddo. It just sounded so good. :)
    You have to look to see if the brand matches that on the recall.
    hello.world.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

I guess if you put another piece of food up against the cantaloupe, you could transfer the salmonella. Probably best to wash it as soon as you get home.

Washing fresh fruit or vegetables before storing is not good...makes them rot faster. Best to wash just before using.
  • hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Washing fresh fruit or vegetables before storing is not good...makes them rot faster. Best to wash just before using.

That's what I normally do. Never washed the outside of the cantaloupe before, though.
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file