Clumping?

I want it! Are there any tried and true ways to achieve clumpy curls?
2a-3a
Modified CG
Suave Lavender Co, Tigi MM, CK, Fuzzy Duck/FX Curl

:) Take up a course in happiness :)

Comments

• micol124micol124 Posts: 171Registered Users
    honey and LOOB are doin' it for me :) But the season is changing, so who knows....
    2c/3a - Miii - Coarse - Low porosity I think

CG since 02/08

low-poo, 20/80 honey and JC TS, ACV rinse, honey and TW

http://public.fotki.com/micol124/going-cg/
  • medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    oh oh someone called my name! Lol I heard clumping!

Curl cremes generally help with clumping. Boots, the white version is good, curl junkie has some nice ones too.
    Leave quite a bit of water in your hair, scrunch your products in. Raking breaks up the curls. I rake lately so I get tons of volume but that's a no no for clumping!

Gooey gels tend to clump bigger. That labella lots of curls gives me really big and consistent clumps. I get medium clumps with that herbal essense body envy but still pretty good stuff. [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-Angell-p-57.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-angell]Devacurl Angel[/buylink]l gives big clumps too.

I think the main thing is no raking, enough water and scrunch products in then let it either air dry without touching and then gently scrunch the crunch out when dry or diffuse without touching too much and same with the crunch.

Good luck!
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I get good clumping for the reasons medusahair noted. The prodcuts that do it for me are JASON Hi Shine gel, LA Looks curl gel, and FX curl booster fixative gel. I also use over a curl cream product to obtain the clumps.

I also think scrunching after I have applied products with the curlease towel also gives me clumping.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • funkediscofunkedisco Posts: 130Registered Users
    How much curl creme to y'all use? I never get the amount right.
    2a-3a
    Modified CG

• msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    I got big ol' fat clumps after using LA Looks Curl Gel this morning. I don't usually use leave-ins or curl creams because they weigh me down, but I do start scrunching my hair while still under the shower near the end of my conditioner rinse-out cycle. I think that really helps, as well as putting my gel into soaking wet hair.

I sure like this gel a LOT better than La Bella (which went in the trash this morning). I don't think I used quite enough, so I'm going to try it again. But man, am I every clumpy!!!
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yep - LA Looks gives great clumps.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    The LA Looks Curl Gel is blue, right? It has hold # 8? I'm going to keep an eye out for it....chasing those clumps!

Also, what are the ingredients?
    2a-3a
    Modified CG

funkedisco wrote: »
    The LA Looks Curl Gel is blue, right? It has hold # 8? I'm going to keep an eye out for it....chasing those clumps!

Also, what are the ingredients?

That's right. I found it at CVS. I'm at work so can't look at the ingredients. Maybe you can find them listed at drugstore.com?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NottyNotty Posts: 1,456Registered Users
    msgiblet wrote: »
    I got big ol' fat clumps after using LA Looks Curl Gel this morning. I don't usually use leave-ins or curl creams because they weigh me down, but I do start scrunching my hair while still under the shower near the end of my conditioner rinse-out cycle. I think that really helps, as well as putting my gel into soaking wet hair.

I sure like this gel a LOT better than La Bella (which went in the trash this morning). I don't think I used quite enough, so I'm going to try it again. But man, am I every clumpy!!!

When you say that you scrunch in shower - do you not comb your hair at all after co-washing? I find I have to comb (a big wide thing) otherwise I can't get all those loose hairs out - and there are a ton. When you scrunch in the shower do you then put product on your hair all through your hair or just scrunch it in? So many questions wonder if we'll ever get it figured out:)
    :toothy7:between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
    http://public.fotki.com/notty6

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!:queen:
    Again, I am not MsG but I scrunch while I am rinsing out my conditioner. It kinda gets it started. Then I add my cream/gel whatever when my hair is still very wet and scrunch some more after each product application. I also find my curlease towel really helps with clumping too.
    Central Massachusetts

• hopetocurlhopetocurl Posts: 1,280Registered Users
    I sure like this gel a LOT better than La Bella (which went in the trash this morning).

awwww, I just found the La Bella, maybe I can still return it before I use it. Get the LA Looks gel.
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
    Notty wrote: »

When you say that you scrunch in shower - do you not comb your hair at all after co-washing? I find I have to comb (a big wide thing) otherwise I can't get all those loose hairs out - and there are a ton. When you scrunch in the shower do you then put product on your hair all through your hair or just scrunch it in? So many questions wonder if we'll ever get it figured out:)

I do comb in the shower. I put my rinse-out conditioner on and run in through really well with my fingers, then clip my hair up on top of my head and let it sit while I finish my shower. Then I take my hair down and run my head under the shower for a second or two, then comb it through with a wide-tooth comb, then rinse for another minute, then flip upside down and comb through again with the wide-tooth comb and rinse some more and then I scrunch my hair right at the end before turning the shower off. Then, while still in the shower, I scrunch with a MF towel until I'm no longer dripping, then I smooth on and scrunch my gel in -- I scrunch a lot. Then I plop in a Curlease towel for 10-15 minutes before I diffuse. Probably sounds weird, but all the scrunching near the end while my hair is sopping wet just seems to clump my hair up and I feel like I need to do that after combing. Works for me.

Hope that helps!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    hopetocurl wrote: »
    I sure like this gel a LOT better than La Bella (which went in the trash this morning).

awwww, I just found the La Bella, maybe I can still return it before I use it. Get the LA Looks gel.

A lot here are really liking this gel, so you still might want to try it. It just has too much glycerine for me, but it might work great for you. At least, it's only about $2 if it doesn't work.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • alwaysaangelalwaysaangel Posts: 55Registered Users
    :confused: Forgive my ignorance - but what are clumpy curls? :confused:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    No need to apologize :)
    Let me attempt to explain...clumping is basically when your hair forms tight curls which generally have less volume. Versus looser curls that may have more volume and length.

I don't know if that helps...I feel like it's something you need to see.
    2a-3a
    Modified CG

• hopetocurlhopetocurl Posts: 1,280Registered Users
    hopetocurl wrote: »

A lot here are really liking this gel, so you still might want to try it. It just has too much glycerine for me, but it might work great for you. At least, it's only about $2 if it doesn't work.

Well, I have been putting tons of glycerine on my hair and it just seems to drink it right up. I did the conditioning balm the other day and followed with a leave-in of JC AIS/[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Aloeba-Daily-Conditioner-p-104.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner]Aloeba[/buylink]...and got great results. Maybe it will work. If not, you'll see it on the swap board. :wink:
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    Clumpiness is the effect that would be called 'stringiness' if our hair was straight, lol. The opposite of clumped curly hair is brushed/piced out curly hair. :afro:

I dunno, my hair does it naturally as long as I don't comb/brush it post-rinsing. However, it doesn't stay that way without gel. Any ol' gel seems to work. They have a lot of variance in how well they hold the curls "up," but they all keep the clumps stuck together.
    I forgot to add CJ coffeecoco curl cream gives me great clumps under a gel.
    Central Massachusetts

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I HATED the Labella gel the first time I used it. I watered it down and liked it a little better. The hotel I stayed in the last week had soft water--and it behaved really well. Back home with hard water--no as good. Lost the clumps as I scrunched the crunch. Another variable to add to the equation.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file