Any bicyclists?

gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
am on the hunt for a bike. I went and rode a Trek this afternoon, I really liked it, but it was $400. Is this what I can expect to pay for a bike? I would look at Target bikes, but I am leery of you get what you pay for. I don't want to pay $100 for a bike and end up with some cheap piece of crap that squeals.

I would be riding on mostly paved trails, maybe working my way up to more adventurous rides, maybe not.

So, yeah, help!
Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.

Comments

• spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    DH bought a Trek about 13 years ago and still has it. Although he doesn't ride it anymore it held up well (he gave it hell back in the day). It's a mountain bike and I think he got over it and now he's an old man and rides a recumbent. hehe I got a Diamondback from Dick's Sporting Goods for about $250 and I LOVED that bike. The movers "lost" it :-| and I'm still bent over it. Was the perfect fit for me and I had it adjusted perfectly. You might want to try some sporting good stores for a sale if you want something a tad cheaper than the $400.

Hope that was at least a little helpful. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • Brooke789Brooke789 Posts: 415Registered Users
    I would definitely agree that $400 is a very reasonable price and you absolutely get what you pay for with Walmart/Target bikes. I ride a Cannondale and DH rides a Gary Fisher -- we've had ours about 5 years and never had any problems with them. We pretty much ride on the road, but have been on trails a few times (I'm too scared to really do trail riding...I'm really not into defying death :lol: )
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have a hybrid (Raleigh) which I got from a local bike store on sale for about 275. Normally it's 400 or so. I test rode a Trek, but a friend I brought with me to select a bike talked me out of it. I usually only ride on paved roadways and the occasional sidewalk.

Most of the bikes there were in the 200-600 dollar range.

Get some cycling shorts...well worth the investment! I ripped my ass up the first long bike ride we went on. Lesson learned!

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    This the one I was looking at -

trek4300wsd.jpg

• curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Oooh! What a nice bike! I like the color. The Trek I tested was a really nice green.

This is mine: raleigh_vntr4_m_slv_08_m.jpg

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • noellenoelle Posts: 377Registered Users
    Buy it, gekko! :)

Trek bikes are very good quality. If you rode it and love how it feels, you should get it. That bike is pretty!
    2C top/3A&B underneath. Activate Hydrating Conditioner, Jessicurl products.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    curlyarca wrote: »
    Get some cycling shorts...well worth the investment! I ripped my ass up the first long bike ride we went on. Lesson learned!
    And some Butt'r! :toothy7:
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My Trek is going on strong 10 or so years now and believe me it's gotten heavy use.
  • goldilocks777goldilocks777 Posts: 1,020Registered Users
    Hey -

The price is pretty typical for a decent bike. I find the price ranges start at:

Hybrid - $200-300
    Mountain - $300-400
    Road - $550-650

Unless you're a serious biker, something in the low end of the range should suit you perfectly! I would definitely not buy a Target/Walmart bike - the difference in quality, ease of ride, comfort, etc. for only $100-200 more is astounding. You can buy a great used bike (check craigslist) generally for $150-200, and sometimes a lot less! Many of my friends have decent quality bikes for prices less than what they would have paid at Target.

The bike you posted looks liek a mountain bike - is it? That doesn't sound ideal for the type of riding you described...have you looked into hybrids? They're a lot more comfortable and faster on paved roads than mtn. bikes, imo.
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    I tested that bike at a Trek store, I don't think Trek makes a hybrid. I am going to check out another store next weekend, I will definitely ask about a hybrid.

• spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I had a Trek many years ago that was a mountain bike and it was really uncomfortable to me. My Diamondback was a hybrid and I could sit a little more upright with it and not so hunched over which made a huge difference in my comfort level. Not sure if it matters to you, but you may want to consider how far you're leaned over when riding.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    spring1onu wrote: »
    I had a Trek many years ago that was a mountain bike and it was really uncomfortable to me. My Diamondback was a hybrid and I could sit a little more upright with it and not so hunched over which made a huge difference in my comfort level. Not sure if it matters to you, but you may want to consider how far you're leaned over when riding.

Yeah, as much as I love my Trek, it is a mountain bike, bought as a gift for me back in the day when mountain bikes were 'cool.' Knowing what I now know, if I were to replace it I would buy a hybrid.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Oh, Trek makes hybrids, I have one. Mine has seat shocks but no fork shocks, and the tires are narrower than a mountain bike would have -- that's fine since I ride more on pavement than trails.

I suggest buying at a bike shop instead of WalMar/Target. No only a better quality bike, but it will be properly set up and they can recommend equipment to go with it.

(Keep in mind that besides the bike, you'll be getting a helmet, water bottle cage, lights, tool kit, maybe a bag, maybe a pump, maybe a little bike computer. The extras add up!)
  • SpunkyCurlsSpunkyCurls Posts: 1,523Registered Users
    mrspoppers wrote: »
    curlyarca wrote: »
    And some Butt'r! :toothy7:

Yeah Butt'r or Monkey Butt Powder. It sounds silly but it works.
    <insert signature line here>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file