Why do you dye your hair?

DoodlesDoodles Registered Users Posts: 1,984
Other than an obvious reason of going gray, why did you start to dye your hair?
2A/2B, fine, normal porosity

Growing out a pixie as of November 2013 :elephant:

Shampoo: Elucence MBS & Renpure Originals Argan Oil
Conditioner: Elucence MBC & Renpure Originals Argan Oil
Leave-in: CJ BeautiCurls
Stylers: BA gel & AG Re:coil

Product Junkie that keeps falling off the wagon!:tongue3:

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I wanted to be blonde so I used Sun-In when I was 13. And then I dyed it black to get rid of the Bozo orange. :compress: I haven't seen my natural hair color in over 20 years.

Speckla
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    I wanted to be blonde so I used Sun-In when I was 13.

Um, yep. And escalated to blonder and blonder throughout high school. At about 17 I dyed it back to match the roots, then let it go natural until I started going grey at 23.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Registered Users Posts: 3,778
    While in college, I got bored and went from dark brown to red (think Angela Chase on My So-Called Life). That was the beginning of the end, and my hair has changed colors many (many) times over the years.:)
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
    LOL, I'm rocking the Angela Chase look as we speak. But less straight. :)
  • susancnwsusancnw Registered Users Posts: 1,374 Curl Novice
    Once it started getting darker in my late 30's, then added some grey due to trauma, then I started coloring...after all over color for about 5 yrs and then started hightlighting/lowlighting...
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I wanted to try dark blonde with highlights (I was a natural brunette). Now I keep it simple and cover my white roots with a light brown. When the entire length goes gray/white, I may go lighter again but with RC.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    I've had greys since I was 25 yrs old. My hair is dark and I don't necessarily look good with grey. I used to dye my hair red, black, auburn, etc to look different and it was fun. Now I only use Henna to hide the greys in a more natural way. I hate grey hair on me and I refuse to go down without a fight LOL :laughing7:
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    Speckla wrote: »
    I wanted to be blonde so I used Sun-In when I was 13. And then I dyed it black to get rid of the Bozo orange. :compress: I haven't seen my natural hair color in over 20 years.

Speckla

The Sun-in started it for me too, ha! That was around 20 years ago for me too (yikes!). Since then I have gone back to my natural color a few times, but for the most part I like to play around my with haircolor.

Maybe it's because us curlies have so few options when it comes to hairstyles. Color is one way I can play around with my hair when I get bored with it.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • msjananimsjanani Registered Users Posts: 624
    Riot Crrl wrote: »
    Um, yep. And escalated to blonder and blonder throughout high school. At about 17 I dyed it back to match the roots, then let it go natural until I started going grey at 23.

OMG I am convinced more and more we are hair twins, RiotCrrl!! Not only do we seem to have the exact same hair type, we both started getting gray enough to dye around the same age!! I'm only 20 now, but at the rate my grays are coming in, I'll have to make a decision about dyeing within the next 3-4 years.
    3A low/medium porosity, medium texture

Current products:
    Stylers: HE Tousle Me Softly, Condition 3-in-1 Mousse
    Conditioners: Terax Crema, Mill Creek Botanicals Henna Conditioner
    Cleanser: DevaCurl NoPoo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theevolutionofcurl/
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    Doodles wrote: »
    No other reason -- I got premature grays. :sad8:
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Doodles wrote: »

For FUN! When I was in my teens and 20's, and even into my 30's, it was great fun to change my hair color. Now that I'm mid-40's and HAVE to color to hide the gray, it's not so fun anymore. It's a chore.

Speckla
    msjanani wrote: »
    Riot Crrl wrote: »

OMG I am convinced more and more we are hair twins, RiotCrrl!! Not only do we seem to have the exact same hair type, we both started getting gray enough to dye around the same age!! I'm only 20 now, but at the rate my grays are coming in, I'll have to make a decision about dyeing within the next 3-4 years.

Msjanani, you so flatter me. That is a huge compliment :D
  • riotkittyriotkitty Registered Users Posts: 1,307 Curl Connoisseur
    Because my natural dark brown hair does not reflect who I am.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
  • InfraredheadInfraredhead Registered Users Posts: 335
    It was the 80's and I wanted my hair to be the same color as Joan Jett or Pat Benatar or the lead singer from Berlin, etc. God bless my mom. What patience she had for me.:nike:
    Mod CG since April of 2007.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I breathe, therefore I dye! :laughing7:

Speckla
  • CurlyBratCurlyBrat Registered Users Posts: 445
    Sun-In started it for me also... at about 14. Then I started with the lovely plum/magenta/blue shades until about 16... (my mother was very patient)... then I started with the auburn/brown, then went to black. My NATURAL color (if I remember correctly :laughing7:) is a medium brown with a LOT of red highlights. (I have red-head grandparents and a red-headed kiddo... I was a redhead until about age 10.)

Now I just keep it a darker brown because I like the way it compliments my green eyes... but if I didn't dye... it would be ab out 75-80% gray... we go VERY gray VERY young in my family!!! I started graying at about 18.
    3a/b thin/fine
    fotki PW: curls
    updated 5/1/2010 "starting over"

Routine:
    don't even HAVE a "routine" at the moment...
    HG: still GVP Conditioning Balm and Biotera Gel/CC
    Experimentals: HE TMS Spray Gel, LOOB

Riot Crrl: "Revenge is a dish best served with a side of awesome hair."

• BrioBrio Registered Users Posts: 1,432
    I've on & off dyed/streaked/sun-in'd/highlighted since a teenager. It was fun to experiment and I always thought my hair was sort of "mousy" brown.

Over the last 3 years, I've been in one continual experiment to find a red shade that I like. I feel I "have" to dye now because I'm getting so much gray.

I've never had a "professional" color job and my hair probably looks it, too. (I'd used that "embarrassed" smilie if I could find it!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Registered Users Posts: 1,048

Speckla

Ha! That's my story, too! Only, I think I was 12 when I first used Sun-In and I didn't stop coloring until this past January = 36 years.
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
  • CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Registered Users Posts: 2,983
    I highlighted my black hair brown last year for an engagement party, and loved it, so kept highlighting, until now. Now I have to stop. My mother says that for reason unspecified, I can't get my hair highlighted anymore. :sad8:

If I had it my way, I'd get a few purple streaks. But my school apparently considers that a distraction.
    made up of 98.822% silliness!!

beautiful_wonderful_fabulous_jade_antm.gif
  • ChatulChatul Registered Users Posts: 21
    I use only coloring shampoos. It's because I want to change something in my appearance, I choose absolutely unnatural colors: red, purple, etc.
    But normally I prefer to have my natural light blond (;
    I apologize for the somewhat poor English. I'm from Poland so my home language is polish, not english.

:blob:
  • fig jamfig jam Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    :laughing7: The memories of the Sun-In and lemon juice! Nothing like that orange alien look.

I first started highlighting to try to keep the look my hair would develop on its own in the summer. Then I was highlighting to keep a lighter look as my hair began to darken from its natural blonde.

I've stopped highlighting or any coloring at all -- the way my grays are coming in at this point, combined with my own color, looks a lot like highlighting and even my hair stylist says it's flattering and not to color. But as the balance shifts, we'll see if I keep it that way. The in-betweens can look dowdy and aging. But so can that flat, all-over color look.

I would love to have totally white or silver hair. With the right cut, it can be stunning.
    "Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Registered Users Posts: 4,940 Curl Neophyte
    I never fell for the Sun-In craze, but I did want blond hair. In middle school (in the '80's), blond hair was the thing (so was Sun-In). My mom dyed my hair using Clairol Ultress (I think). I loved the look and stuck with it until sometime in college. Then I let it go natural for a few years. Then a few years ago, I dyed my hair a brownish red (to have red highlighted look to it) and have done that ever since...sometimes more brown than red, sometimes more red than brown, sometimes medium brownish/red, sometimes light brownish/red.
    Now I dye it because I think the color looks good with my skin-tone; it looks more natural than my natural hair color (which is a moussy brown); looks healthier this way and of course to hide the grays, which it kind of does that.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    I color because my natural shade is mousy and not very vibrant. I much prefer being a redhead.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Registered Users Posts: 2,098
    I'm naturally blond but after my kids, my hair turned that ugly dishwater color... I didn't want to bleach since I'm so fair... so I opted to go red... it goes with my skin tone and attitude. LOL

Nicole
  • merebearmerebear Registered Users Posts: 190
    Not ready to be salt & pepper so I am a sandy blonde via highlighting. Naturally a dark brunette.
    MereBear
    2B-2C - very wavy with loose ringlets

:wav:
  • missmarchemissmarche Registered Users Posts: 41
    Same reason I begged my mom for the big 64-count box of Crayola crayons... I like color. :)

No, but seriously, my whole fascination with color started my freshman year in college. One friend had already been coloring her own hair for years and convinced three more of us to try rinses (Clairol's Jazzing, in fact.) Friend One went with burgundy, Friend Two went violet (she was an art student) and I went with hot pink.

(Before anyone gets too concerned... these were rinses, so our naturally dark brown/black hair had mere tints of these shades, most noticeable in sunlight. :))

That was in 2001. Ever since then, my hair has been every color of cocoa, red, and jet black imagineable. My one at-home attempt at blonde failed miserably, so I do have my limits, lol. When people ask me what color my hair is right now, I respond with an honest "I don't know"... because I don't. It's some shade that's a product of all those dye and rinse experiments.

Now I've decided to grow out this color so I can finally see my natural hair color (and therefore, my natural curl pattern) for the first time in seven years. And yet I'm already thinking about what's next... henna...

...somebody stop me. Lol.
    Visit my blog, Blessed and Highly Textured:
    http://highlytextured.blogspot.com

"I'm a rock hip-hop pop star." -- Kelis
  • Dancebabe885Dancebabe885 Registered Users Posts: 38
    I've been coloring mine to enhance my natural color. I use natural match to add some warmer tones to my otherwise mousy-ish brown hair.
    3a
  • emilyjemilyj Registered Users Posts: 65
    I color because my natural shade is mousy and not very vibrant. I much prefer being a redhead.
    Ditto! :toothy7:
    3a/b, with looser curls at the top and some little corkscrews at the ends.
    Semi-CG: No sulfates or 'cones; still unsure about proteins.
    HG's: AOHR and MOP-C for sure! Still searching for the perfect gel. :tongue5:
    Loving the Curl-Ease towel! :smurfin:

event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file