"Is that a perm"?

No, it is not a perm. This used to annoy me but now I realize it's actually a compliment because it means our curls look good enough that people think they're professionally done. I laughed yesterday because I had the haircolorist sit me down and tell me that the color could ruin my perm because it would be chemically processed and react with the perm chemicals. :compress:"It's natural." "That much curl is natural?" she had to run her fingers through my hair again and again.

Speckla

Comments

• LoloDSMLoloDSM Registered Users Posts: 3,778
    In the past, I've thought people were crazy when they asked if I had perm. Who would pay to look like this? You're right though. I should take it as a compliment. I am trying to embrace my inner AND outer curly girl, and that's a good start. :nike:
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    Couldn't have said Lolo's post better myself. Every time I get this I'm just like, "WTF you think I paid 90 bucks for this hot mess?"

I should start to look at it more positively, as Speckla has embraced.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Registered Users Posts: 9,890 Curl Neophyte
    Speckla wrote: »
    I laughed yesterday because I had the haircolorist sit me down and tell me that the color could ruin my perm because it would be chemically processed and react with the perm chemicals. :compress:"It's natural." "That much curl is natural?" she had to run her fingers through my hair again and again.

Speckla

I admire your ability to laugh at this. My general reaction is: you're in the hair business and you cannot tell if it's natural or not? And then I would sit there and try to figure out if I wanted this moron to be working on my hair or not.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    wild~hair wrote: »
    I laughed yesterday because I had the haircolorist sit me down and tell me that the color could ruin my perm because it would be chemically processed and react with the perm chemicals. :compress:"It's natural." "That much curl is natural?" she had to run her fingers through my hair again and again.

Speckla

I admire your ability to laugh at this. My general reaction is: you're in the hair business and you cannot tell if it's natural or not? And then I would sit there and try to figure out if I wanted this moron to be working on my hair or not.

She's great with color but I wouldn't let her cut my hair with pretend scissors!!

Speckla
  • xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    Riot Crrl wrote: »
    Couldn't have said Lolo's post better myself. Every time I get this I'm just like, "WTF you think I paid 90 bucks for this hot mess?"

I should start to look at it more positively, as Speckla has embraced.

That is exactly what I thought anytime anyone said that to me. And my response was just about that - do you think I would pay for this????
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,280
    What a timely post. On Thursday of this past week I had a conversation with an acquaintance in the grocery store. She made a comment like this, "Oh, I like your new look, you got a new perm." My response was, "Oh, this is not a perm. This is my hair in it's natural state." She was so amazed that this was my hair. I really do like my hair. I am not to the loving it stage just yet.
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • myCeliamyCelia Registered Users Posts: 195
    Oh, I'd definitely take it as a compliment! The clouds will part and the choirs will sing the day someone asks me if I have a perm. LOL! Not happening any time soon, if ever.
    What's working: MOP-C Hydrating Shampoo roots only EOD, Elucence Moisture Balancing conditioner or Biolage Conditioning Balm; style with Innersense Quiet Calm Curl Control, and the AMAZING KCCC!
    http://public.fotki.com/myCelia111/
    2'ish, fine/medium ii, non-porous hair.
    Someone just asked me this on Saturday and I was all mad! But maybe it was a compliment, eh?
  • ElithiaElithia Registered Users Posts: 297
    I've been asked the question many times, particularly while I was in China, where the only curls (basically) are permed ones! I always like the look on people's faces when I disabuse them of the notion...ranging from consternation to embarrassment to envy!
    Proudly CG since 8/10/06 - the story of my hair!
    Type: 3a/b, very thick
    Length: almost BSL wet
    Products: Suave coconut conditioner, coconut oil, Totally Twisted gel

Don't forget to be awesome!
  • mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    I've had people ask me if I got a perm. Most of the people that ask me are co-workers that have known me for 3 yrs with straight hair so I don't really blame them. I even heard about somebody spreading a rumor that I "got a perm" I thought that was pretty absurd. Since I've always loved curly hair I take it as a compliment.

I usually will get pissed off if people ask me if its a weave :laughing7:
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• VerityVerity Registered Users Posts: 616 Curl Neophyte
    Do people really get perms anymore?
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Registered Users Posts: 2,571
    wild~hair wrote: »

Speckla

She may have known it was natural, but if we're doing chemicals we're taught to ask if other chemicals have been used. It's probably second nature now. eta after reading speckla's original post I changed my mind, that colorist must have had a bad brain day!

I love that question though Speckla, as much as when they used to ask Is that your hair or do you have extensions? It's too short for that now. But it'll come back!
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bettinflabettinfla Registered Users Posts: 389 Curl Neophyte
    I get it all the time -- people ask -- where'd you get you perm done? I'm like -- "natural." I often thought the same thing - would I pay to look like this, but now I am finally accepting it as a compliment.
    Homemade FSG, CK, KCCC and BRHG. Co wash w/Suave, or soap bars (occasionally) or Come Clean (Kinky Curly).
  • Auburn SunsetAuburn Sunset Registered Users Posts: 160
    mariag002 wrote: »
    I've had people ask me if I got a perm. Most of the people that ask me are co-workers that have known me for 3 yrs with straight hair so I don't really blame them. I even heard about somebody spreading a rumor that I "got a perm" I thought that was pretty absurd. Since I've always loved curly hair I take it as a compliment.

I usually will get pissed off if people ask me if its a weave :laughing7:

Yes I feel you on the weave comment. If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me that, I would be set, lol. I used to get pretty mad, but now I take it as a compliment as well b/c if it looks like a weave then I'm pretty bad a$$ being that I do it myself. I thought once I started back wearing it curly the weave comments would stop, however they didn't, go figure.
    http://members.fotki.com/auburnsunset/

:flower:Happy to be 3B, 3C & 4A
    My Fav's
    Nakia Amour Products
  • xtxscarletxtxxtxscarletxtx Registered Users Posts: 21
    wow i couldn't relate anymore to what everyone is saying. People ask me all the time if my hair is permed, actually just last week someone asked me. I also rang another customer who asked me if it was a perm and when i said no he told me my hair was awesome and he wished more girls should have big hair like me! So i try to take it as a compliment now because most of the time i think people are stunned that awesome curly hair can be achieved naturally!!!!:)
    3b/3c =) Finally loving my curls!
  • MimsTXMimsTX Registered Users Posts: 3,482 Curl Neophyte
    I get that question aaaaaaaall the time. That and "How long does it take for you to curl your hair like that every day?!"

There's always a mixture of shock, disbelief and disappointment when I tell them it's natural. The disappointment confused me for the longest time, until one of my good friends finally confessed that when she found out my hair curled naturally, she was upset because she suddenly realized HER hair couldn't be made to do the same thing.

<3

I think, deep down, it's nothing but a compliment.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • jenbuggy85jenbuggy85 Registered Users Posts: 232
    i have had that question asked since i was a little kid.. lol. but last christmas..when my father in law asked how i made his grandchilds hair sooooo curly.. it floored me. i was like "umm..seriously?...did you look at my head lately?"
    also... went into this lil korean hair store down the road a few days ago. i needed something to make it shiney! she grabbed my hair looking for tracks...she thought i had a weave in, and wanted to know if i had human or animal hair.. haha "is that your real hair?" haha i aaaaaaaalways had my hair pulled in school.."hahaha..lets see if its a wig!! its to big to be real!!"
    i def take it as a compliment now. "oh,ppl spend lots of money to have her like yours!" ps..thanks mom and dad...i love you :):laughing7:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Biotera Styling gel (firm hold)
    Biotera Curl creme
    Sauve Naturals coconut conditioner as Co-wash and leave in.

After all this I get about 3 or 4 days of good "wearable" hair.

PROUD MOMMY AND ARMY WIFE!:toothy7:
  • Curlyperm12Curlyperm12 Registered Users Posts: 66
    Yes, I've permed my hair off and on the past few years to make my hair curlier. However, my hair is naturally very wavy. When my hair is in it's natural state I've also had quite a few people ask if my hair is permed. I take that as a compliment.
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    My favorite was when someone asked me who I got my curls from. When I told her I got them from my father, she got a very confused look on her face, and said, "Your father's a hairdresser?" That was my first clue that she thought I had a perm.

Usually when people ask me if I had my hair permed, my internal reaction has been "Why would I pay for this?" But I usually just tell them my hair is naturally curly. When they would inevitably tell me I was "so lucky," I'd remind them that regardless of the current styles, my hair was always the same, so instead of thinking of it as being like a free perm, they should think of it as being like a free bad perm.

And then there was the co-worker who told me I didn't have naturally curly hair, I just wanted to think I did. That was truly a WTF experience. In 19 years she's never seen me with my hair anything but curly -- just as consistently as I've never seen her hair anything but straight. Yeah, we all look to people with Type 1 hair to define Type 3s; it's their extensive personal experience that makes them experts.

It was right after that that I first heard about Curly Girl Now granted, my hair had really been damaged by sulfate shampoos and cones, but how anyone in their right mind who has intact vision could ever entertain the idea that my hair was straight, I haven't a clue. But maybe it was just her witchy, with a capital B, personality.

Perhaps it was partially that which made me hop right on the bandwagon as soon as I found out about CGing, perhaps it was because I knew something was wrong and didn't have a clue up until then what it was. At any rate I've really begun to love my curls again, which is a good thing, since I've gone from somewhat straggly curls to tight ringlets. (And I've had no more comments from the peanut gallery.)
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • rnconniesfrnconniesf Registered Users Posts: 256 Curl Neophyte
    I get this at least twice a day and always think the same thing; "Do you REALLY think I would pay to look like this"?
    Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
  • tinasuetinasue Registered Users Posts: 3
    Today, I got 6 inches cut off. I told the stylist.."When my hair is short, it gets VERY CURLY so leave me something to work with."
    As she was chopping away she stops and says..."Wow, you were right...your hair IS curly."
    Right then, I knew I was in trouble.
    Sure enough...I am now a puffball.
    THIS IS NOT A PERM!
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............
  • 30isthenewblack30isthenewblack Registered Users Posts: 49 Curl Neophyte
    I get asked whether my hair is permed quite a lot and I definitely take it as a compliment. I'm growing my hair longer and I can't wait until it's hip length and someone asks me if I have extensions ;-)
  • jaimersjaimers Registered Users Posts: 98
    Verity wrote: »
    I know, right? I can't believe people still ask about perms.
    jaimers wrote: »
    Verity wrote: »
    I know, right? I can't believe people still ask about perms.

Perms and blue hair still abound with the 80+ crowd. :toothy3:
  • geekrockgirl85geekrockgirl85 Registered Users Posts: 170
    i always had a slight wave in my hair, but my curls "bloomed" right when i hit teenage years.

unfortunately... my mom took me for a tragic 80's-style spiral perm when i was eight or nine years old, so there are a *lot* of people i grew up with, who are convinced that i still go back for perms every year. :P
    2c. present color& past heat damage, fine, low-density, high porosity, happy with some protein. re-CG as of 5/2014. Wash:V05 PFS or KLS, RO: (trying to use up my stash; so it's always different!), LI: Cure Care, DT: SM Smooth & Repair Hair Masque, Style: Ecostyler Olive Oil / La Bella Lots of Curls gel
  • ibraidhairibraidhair Registered Users Posts: 343
    i always had a slight wave in my hair, but my curls "bloomed" right when i hit teenage years.

unfortunately... my mom took me for a tragic 80's-style spiral perm when i was eight or nine years old, so there are a *lot* of people i grew up with, who are convinced that i still go back for perms every year. :P

Oh my gosh! Me too! :toothy10: Except the people I grew up with know I went through a curl-hating phase as a teenager and that I finally gave in when I realized what I thought was still perm wasn't growing out.

I get the "is that a perm" question alot, but it's usually followed with "people pay big money to get hair like that, you know." So I've always taken it as a compliment.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file