CurlTalk

Check out this lady's hair site!

mikievoramikievora Posts: 83Registered Users
She has INCREDIBLE hair, and a book due out this fall. I am in awe. I read an interview where she said it took 5-6 years to grow her hair to this length.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fbiracialhair.org%2FWelcome.html" class="Popup
Frizz Central!

Comments

• mslanee1mslanee1 Posts: 439Registered Users
    I saw her site the other day. I liked it. Her hair is nice too. I think she is someones hair idol on here and thats how I came across her page.
    CURRENT PRODUCTS: Oyin Honey Hemp, Honey Wash, Burnt Sugar Pomade, Shine and Define, and Whipped Pudding. Also loving HH Hello Hydration and HENNA!

• missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    yeah, she does have amazing hair! gorgeous. i like that she shows that once she learned how to take care of her hair....she was able to achieve a lot of length...which is proof that we can grow longer hair (if that's what we want) no matter what hair type we have.
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmissmonie%2F" class="Popup - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    However, our hair is it’s own unique entity. It does not want to be repressed. It does not want to be forced to look like someone else's hair. It wants to curl, and be it’s own creature- not an imitation. The moment we let it go, set it free, it blooms. It can finally be itself. If we can learn to embrace the hair we have, the hair we were born with, it will reward you many times over. The energy spent fighting it will be so much more constructively spent working with it instead. Both you and your hair will thrive.

Thank you so much for this link. She is so wise about her hair. What a journey. Almost, I am persuaded to buy a Denman D4
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • mikievoramikievora Posts: 83Registered Users
    i know! i never realized how much the relaxer stunted my growth. i could never get to apl and i felt like i was doing everything right. even while i was transitioning, my hair didnt grow that fast. in the last 3 months since ive been all natural though, it has been growing like crazy. i havent measured, but est. 2 inches. her length is my new goal:compress:
    Frizz Central!
  • mikievoramikievora Posts: 83Registered Users
    @ sbb,

[/quote]Almost, I am persuaded to buy a Denman D4[/quote]

you are welcome. definately get the denman. detangling is seriously a breeze with it. and it makes the most beautiful clumped curls ever.
    Frizz Central!
  • mslanee1mslanee1 Posts: 439Registered Users
    That quote you got SBB is great. You should get a Denman. Just be warned it gives great culrs but you do get shrinkage!
    CURRENT PRODUCTS: Oyin Honey Hemp, Honey Wash, Burnt Sugar Pomade, Shine and Define, and Whipped Pudding. Also loving HH Hello Hydration and HENNA!

• HeatherNicoleHeatherNicole Posts: 1,316Registered Users
    Thanks for posting the link. She has great hair. However, that's way too much hair for me personally. If I get to shoulder length or even armpit length curly, It's time to start getting cuts. lol. I just gotta get there first lol.
    Thick coarse 3c/4a prone to dryness.
    Staples
    Aphogee 2 Step treatment
    Generic Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Tigi MM Conditioner
    Creme of Nature Shampoo for dry hair
    KCCC
    Denman D3
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    SheaMoisture Leave-in
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMsHeatherNicole%2F" class="Popup

"Make it work!"- Tim Gunn
  • cclark1cclark1 Posts: 346Registered Users
    Thanks hair twin ;) for the link! I added that one and another blog that was on her blog. Thank you! I really liked her hair :)
    Dare to be......remarkable!!!
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    Beautiful hair.

I love the doorway curtain as well!
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users
    I saw her site the other day. I liked it. Her hair is nice too. I think she is someones hair idol on here and thats how I came across her page.

She's MY hair idol! I found her browsing a blog I visit from time to time called lightskinndedgirl.
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • foxycus02foxycus02 Posts: 918Registered Users
    Thanks for posting the link. She has great hair. However, that's way too much hair for me personally. If I get to shoulder length or even armpit length curly, It's time to start getting cuts. lol. I just gotta get there first lol.

LOL...well has anyone just set their hair just with conditioner? Her hair looks great, but she's more of a 3C.

What is everyone's opinion on the denman. I own a denman (great brush) but I dont use it to style it curly. It gives me super frizzy curls.

Last did anyone kind've screech at her product listing. lol

rockin' to the tune of her own beat...

comic-p.jpg
    Oh I forgot to add why I quoted HN in the first place: Hair length! As of now with a bit past the shoulder wet hair...I hate how the product gets on my coats, car seat, etc...
    I have always wondered how you manage hair that length. Looks beautiful, maintenance seems like such a pain.

comic-p.jpg
    foxycus02 wrote: »

LOL...well has anyone just set their hair just with conditioner? Her hair looks great, but she's more of a 3C.

What is everyone's opinion on the denman. I own a denman (great brush) but I dont use it to style it curly. It gives me super frizzy curls.

ha...I did kinda go....ummm, those are not good products she's using. But i guess everyone's hair responds differently to certain ingredients. almost makes me wanna go get some of what she's using! (just kidding!)

about the denman....i can not use it to style my hair. it causes wayward curls that shrink right up to my scalp. i only like it for detangling.
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmissmonie%2F" class="Popup - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
  • HeatherNicoleHeatherNicole Posts: 1,316Registered Users

Are we the pessimists here? lol. I think so. I totally did- especially the Pantene. The Herbal essence Moisture is great though.

I'm glad she found something that works for her she's a fantastic inspiration, but as for her techniques and products, Idk if I can apply them to me per say.

You don't like your denman? You're crazy, Cat. I've never heard of it making anyone's hair more frizzy. Hm. Maybe you just have weird hair.lol.
    Thick coarse 3c/4a prone to dryness.
    Staples
    Aphogee 2 Step treatment
    Generic Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Tigi MM Conditioner
    Creme of Nature Shampoo for dry hair
    KCCC
    Denman D3
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    SheaMoisture Leave-in
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMsHeatherNicole%2F" class="Popup

"Make it work!"- Tim Gunn
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users
    Yea the first time I went to her site, I went through her product listing. But honestly, even some people on this board SWEAR by cones, so I honestly think it's whatever works for you. She's obviously figured out what works for her.
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users
    Wow her hair is so beautiful. I could relate to her bad hair day stories so much. Thank God mine wasn't as horrible LOL A good friend of mine has similar hair to hers and its the same length, takes forever to dry and all that. I don't know if I'd want my hair THAT long but it would be really nice to try to achieve it.

Thank you for the link!
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users

-ive set my hair with just conditioner before. well i take that back, conditioner and oil. but it turned out great and lasted until i washed it out.

-i like the denman. it gives me super great clumping and i use it whenever im not wearning my hair down.

-her product listing was...an eye opener to say the least. but everyone's hair is different. my hair laughs at the idea of not getting a trim for 10 yrs. but if she can handle it, more power to her. her hair is gorgeous.
  • bouncy1920bouncy1920 Posts: 62Registered Users
    That website is great.

I can relate to her hair struggle. I loved the photo journey. I felt like clapping at the end.
  • lapushkalapushka Posts: 601Registered Users
    Wonder what the book is going to be like, because when I looked at her idea of a good hair product I cringed. It might work for her, but as a general rule silicone products are not the best products for curly hair as they can weigh the hair down. Maybe it's not the same for strong curls, maybe then you'd want to weigh it down. Still, distinguishing between hair types would make a better book, widening her take on products might also. It lacks research IMO... but maybe the book is different from the site, I don't know. Seems that she wants the book to reflect her personal journey, but on the site she makes these general recommendations that are very poor recommendations indeed... and the best site for curly hair isn't even mentioned in the links. I wonder if she even knows of this place, of the many articles on here.
    She definitely is an inspiration! I screeched at the pantene conditioner, not necessarily for the cones. I just always scrunch my nose at Pantene!

I love the denman. I just dont like it to style my hair curly.

comic-p.jpg
  • cclark1cclark1 Posts: 346Registered Users
    This is so true! I have a friend with beautiful hair. I'm always complimenting her on it. She told me that she used Pantene and that I needed to go out and get some. It's not something I want to try. But it works well on her. More power to the people who use Pantene. I won't be one of them!
    She definitely is an inspiration! I screeched at the pantene conditioner, not necessarily for the cones. I just always scrunch my nose at Pantene!

I love the denman. I just dont like it to style my hair curly.
    Dare to be......remarkable!!!
    Pantene was the only shampoo/conditioner I used when I was relaxed. I thought it was great. I wouldn't dare touch it now!

comic-p.jpg
  • ParasolParasol Posts: 291Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    She does have beautiful curls. She could be my twin.
    But her hair care program seems to be a liiittle too time consuming and expensive. She uses a palmful of conditioner for half of her hair. I mean ,yes she does have very long hair ,but that would be too much for my taste. And I also wouldn't rake each individual curl. It'd take too long. Nonetheless, she hs good tipsand pictures on her homepage and she truly is an inspiration.

• lapushkalapushka Posts: 601Registered Users
    Seeing where she started from, the struggle with her hair, compared to where she is now... amazing journey and a true inspiration for others with heavy curls. It's so beautiful at that length! Might save lots of people from the grip of a chemical relaxer, give them courage and an alternative... Yes, there *is* something you can do with your hair even without chemicals.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    That quote you got SBB is great. You should get a Denman. Just be warned it gives great culrs but you do get shrinkage!

Well I got the Denman and tried detangling with it, but didn't like the hair I was seeing in the brush. Back to my rigid seamless comb! Brushing my hair wet doesn't seem to be in the cards for my hair.
    -her product listing was...an eye opener to say the least. but everyone's hair is different. my hair laughs at the idea of not getting a trim for 10 yrs. but if she can handle it, more power to her. her hair is gorgeous
    Yes, her products were "what ???" But she shampoos so that makes a difference I guess; she can wash all that crap out. As to trim, I'm inspired to stretch another month or 2.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • lsw29lsw29 Posts: 15Registered Users
    I wish I could use the Denman brush, it just makes my hair frizzy and poofy. My curls are practically gone when I use this bush.
    Hair Type-3c in the front and top; 4a in the middle and most of the back and a little patch of 4b in in one small section in the back . Basically, I have a combination of waves, spirals, corkscrews, cotton and coils.

Don't look for love just be lovable.
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    Y'all. . .I felt inspired to try her method (slightly adapted) after seeing her link in midgi's sig. Here's what I did:

2 step co-washed with coconut oil-something conditioner (didn't bother to shampoo as I just did last week and don't like to 'poo more than 2x a month)

Added motions weightless detangling conditioner in big handfuls to wet hair, squeezing it in. So far, so good.

I then started to comb out with Denman D4 in little sections, fingersmoothing and separating as directed. That Motions conditioner created so much drag on my hair. I was detangling for over an hour.

By the time I was finished, most of the clumpy conditioner-fused curls were well and truly separated. My hair was huge, but not in a cute fluffy cloud-kinda way; some of the hair was, but there were all these weird, frizzy straightish bits sticking out of it.

Worse still, from all the conditioner I left in my hair, by the time it dried, it was greyish and each time I touched my hair a light layer of snow covered my clothes. My hair was also superstiff in most parts.

That said, I am still so floored by her story that I will probably try again later this week (sans the Motions WDC, plus a bunch of other variations).

I think, tweaked, her method can probably work for a lot of people, but with all the different permutations of curl patterns (or complete lack thereof-some will have straight hair) and textures in "biracial hair", she will definitely have to diversify come the book.
  • larissalarissa Posts: 22Registered Users
    maybe you have to use another conditioner or not use that much of it..

but i see, you probably need a lot of conditioner to be able to brush your hair..

this is what i do sometimes: brush my hair with a lot of conditioner, then wash it out a little bit, but not everything..then i use a little bit conditioner or a leave-in to
    to smooth it down...i tried this with different conditioner and no all of them gave me good results.
    4a/3c
    last relaxer: 25.6.2006
    big chop: 10.11.2007

I'm sorry for my english, it's not my mother tongue :oops:
  • momo7momo7 Posts: 478Registered Users
    OMG, she is such an inspiration. I like her ideas about setting the hair with the conditioner. I need to go back to using my denman in small sections like I used to then, pull it back into a light ponytail for a while and let it go. My hair was alot more loose and would hang better. Sometimes I'm so anxious to try new things, that I forget that the basics work the best for me.

Thanks for that link!!!!!! :occasion9:
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    larissa wrote: »
    maybe you have to use another conditioner or not use that much of it..

but i see, you probably need a lot of conditioner to be able to brush your hair..

this is what i do sometimes: brush my hair with a lot of conditioner, then wash it out a little bit, but not everything..then i use a little bit conditioner or a leave-in to
    to smooth it down...i tried this with different conditioner and no all of them gave me good results.

Funny you should say that, 'cause the things you mentioned are Pretty much what I was planning to do:

Drop the Motions (I've used this successfully as a leave in applied on slightly damp/dry hair, but it is useless on my wet hair, even as used as a regular rinse out).

I was planning on rinsing once I'd gone through it with the Denman, and then just scrunching some more condish in. I'll try rinsing partway like you suggest. Thanks!