Does anyone here use cold cream?

KindredGhost1983KindredGhost1983 Posts: 1,187Registered Users
Ive been for the past year now every evening before bedtime, and my skin is always soft and clean. I apply it and leave it on for one minute, then use a kleenex to wipe it off. I also followup with witch hazel to rid the excess cream. It's been great!
Curlies add me on myspace!

www.myspace.com/agilruth

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ive been for the past year now every evening before bedtime, and my skin is always soft and clean. I apply it and leave it on for one minute, then use a kleenex to wipe it off. I also followup with witch hazel to rid the excess cream. It's been great!

I've tried that routine many times over the years, because you always hear the stories ("Aunt Polly used nothing but Ponds her whole life and she is 107 and has beautiful skin and no wrinkles!")

Alas...cold cream has always been a disaster for my oily acne-prone skin. Witch Hazel is a known skin irritant...and that has proved true for me as well.
  • echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    ITA with RCW. Ponds has been a train wreck for me every time I tried to use it. I don't think it's very good for acne prone skin at all.
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • KindredGhost1983KindredGhost1983 Posts: 1,187Registered Users
    Ahh, that's one of the main reasons I used cold cream though! I too was drawn in by the propaganda :laughing7: ("My great grandmother has beautiful skin at 90 years old and all she ever used was a simple cold cream."~some magazine I read)

My skin isn't acne prone, actually it's rather sensitive, so maybe that's why I don't have breakouts.
    Curlies add me on myspace!

www.myspace.com/agilruth
  • YomYom Posts: 1,146Registered Users Curl Novice
    What are the benefits of using cold cream?
    3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
    Modified CG since 08/10/2007
    http://public.fotki.com/Curly-Y/ (updated september 6)
    pw: currrly
  • violetsviolets Posts: 1,689Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have used cold cream since I was a teenager. I am 37 now.
    I thought that was the only product I could use because it doesn't dry your face. However my face was always beet red.
    I have since December switched to DY wheat germ and it has been wonderful. NO more redness.
    I can't see anyone with oily skin using cold cream.
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    Yomini wrote: »
    What are the benefits of using cold cream?

saving money? but perhaps having bad skin?

PS...if you can locally get your hands on some rhassoul clay, get some. rhassoul clay is excellent for the complexion, for dry skin, oily skin, etc.

I make a mask of rhassoul clay, water and tad amount of grapeseed oil, apply and let dry for 30 minutes.

Rhassoul clay's most impressive properties in skin improvement are its capacity of absorption and adsorption due to its high level of ion exchange. Clinical studies have been conducted by two different research laboratories in the United States to evaluate Rhassoul use for skin conditions. The results of this single use Rhassoul study produced these findings….

• Reduces dryness (79%)
    • Reduces flakiness (41%)
    • Improves skin clarity (68%)
    • Improves skin elasticity / firmness (24%)
    • Improves skin texture (106%)
    • Removes surface oil and oil from inside and around comedons
    • Removes dead skin layers, resulting in a general smoothing of the surface skin
    • In addition to the oil removal characteristics
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Windflower - Is there a particular brand of Rhassoul clay you use? Can this be purchased on the ground or online only?
    Thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    misspam wrote: »
    Windflower - Is there a particular brand of Rhassoul clay you use? Can this be purchased on the ground or online only?
    Thanks.

I bought mine from Mountain Rose Herbs.com. If I recall correctly, I have seen it at Whole Foods and other health/natural type stores. It is a brown clay.
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Thanks Windflower. I was just at Whole Foods yesterday - probably won't get back for a couple of weeks. Would any oil work as well as the grapeseed you use? I already have jojoba oil and I would like to use that.

Thanks for the link to Mountain Rose Herbs. I will check that out later today.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have also used jojoba oil; it should be fine.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Windflower wrote: »
    misspam wrote: »
    Thanks.

I bought mine from Mountain Rose Herbs.com. If I recall correctly, I have seen it at Whole Foods and other health/natural type stores. It is a brown clay.

:thumbright: on the Mountain Rose Herbs. Ordered from them a few times and they've been awesome and have excellent products at good prices.
    i agree wild hair. MRH has great customer service and products, and a good variety of products.
  • cjccjc Posts: 636Registered Users
    Ive been for the past year now every evening before bedtime, and my skin is always soft and clean. I apply it and leave it on for one minute, then use a kleenex to wipe it off. I also followup with witch hazel to rid the excess cream. It's been great![/QUOT

What brand do you you use? Also was looking at your hair pics...great curls...what hair products do you use?
    cjc
    3B very thick, curly hair and on the longer side
    Palm Beach County, Fl
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    My facial skin is DRY DRY DRY...merely running a plain wet washcloth every a.m. leaves it tight and painfully dry.

The only, and I mean, ONLY product I have ever found to combat this is Jergen's Face Cream, the gigantic pink jar with the 3 women on it. It was a staple on my great-grandma's dresser. I just tried it a couple years ago on a whim.

I have been taking fish oil supplements, and I've found that 1) my seborrheic dermatitis flareups have been less-occuring...not 100% cured but way better than before; and 2) I don't require nearly as much of the cold cream when leaving the house every a.m.

But yeah, I slather on a couple of little dollops every a.m. before leaving the house. It's a little greasy, but my skin's so dry that it soaks it all in. Even Pond's left it dry.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file