Eyebrow Pencils

xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I have almost non-existent eyebrows. How do you go about choosing an eyebrow pencil color. Do you just match the color as close as possible?? Then how does it work...just use it like a pencil?

(I am such a dweeb when it comes to makeup)
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have naturally thick eyebrows, but they have started to fade since I've gotten older. Rather than try to color them in every day, I dye them with regular hairdye (Robert Craig). It looks much more natural than any colored shadow or powder I've found, I think so anyway.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I am not sure I could pull that off. Mine are very very fine (my doctor said it was because of my borderline hyperactive thryoid).
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • YomYom Posts: 1,146Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have naturally thick eyebrows, but they have started to fade since I've gotten older. Rather than try to color them in every day, I dye them with regular hairdye (Robert Craig). It looks much more natural than any colored shadow or powder I've found, I think so anyway.

I do that too. Looks way better that pencil, in my opinion. I have to dye them about every week though, the color fades really quickly.
    3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
    Modified CG since 08/10/2007
    http://public.fotki.com/Curly-Y/ (updated september 6)
    pw: currrly
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My eyebrows are fine, light and a bit sparse. I use an eyebrow powder. Mine happens to be from Laura Mercier and has two shades for blending, but there are bunches of brands to choose from. The most important thing is to get the right color. Then, brush your brows in the direction you'd like (I use a baby toothbrush -unused!- for this). Then apply the color with a brush, using short strokes. Just do it with a light touch. Personally, I think powder looks better than a pencil. And I don't have enough hairs in my brows to dye!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Yomini wrote: »

I do that too. Looks way better that pencil, in my opinion. I have to dye them about every week though, the color fades really quickly.

Are you using a peroxide product? That would explain why the color is fading so quickly...the peroxide bleaches out the natural color and then the tonor re-dyes the hair. But toners fade quickly. That's why I use a non-peroxide deposit-only color. The color lasts til it grows out...which, since eyebrows grow very slowly, is about 3 months.
    xcptnl wrote: »
    I am not sure I could pull that off. Mine are very very fine (my doctor said it was because of my borderline hyperactive thryoid).

Even if they're fine, dying them might give you something to start with, rather than trying to re-create eyebrows from nothing.
  • bettinflabettinfla Posts: 389Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have mine tatooed -- saves a lot of time.
    Homemade FSG, CK, KCCC and BRHG. Co wash w/Suave, or soap bars (occasionally) or Come Clean (Kinky Curly).
  • YomYom Posts: 1,146Registered Users Curl Novice

Are you using a peroxide product? That would explain why the color is fading so quickly...the peroxide bleaches out the natural color and then the tonor re-dyes the hair. But toners fade quickly. That's why I use a non-peroxide deposit-only color. The color lasts til it grows out...which, since eyebrows grow very slowly, is about 3 months.

Yes, i do use peroxide with it. I didn't even know there were was something like a non peroxide dye. Do you know of any other brands besides robert craig (since that's not easily available in the Netherlans) that carry this type of dye?
    3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
    Modified CG since 08/10/2007
    http://public.fotki.com/Curly-Y/ (updated september 6)
    pw: currrly
  • hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I use a brow powder too. Works much better than a pencil. I top it with a bit of hair gel to set it for the day. If you do use a pencil, I would recommend you go a little lighter than you think you need. They go on pretty dark. And when you apply the pencil, use short, light strokes, aiming for the hairs, not the skin. It might be easier to get the hairs by applying it backwards, from the outer edge inward and then when you're done, brush the brow back in place. Whatever you decide to use, pick up an eyebrow brush to groom your brows.
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity

Yes, i do use peroxide with it. I didn't even know there were was something like a non peroxide dye. Do you know of any other brands besides robert craig (since that's not easily available in the Netherlans) that carry this type of dye?

Bigen is the only other brand I know of besides Robert Craig that is a deposit-only permanent non-peroxide hair color.
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    I've noticed mine are much lighter and sparcer (is that even a word?) lately. Must be old age.
    About a month ago, I went into Mac and they helped me. They picked the right shade (it's a powder, not a pencil), the right brush, and showed me how to do it. It looks totally natural.
    I'm sure Ulta or Sephora would be able to help you also.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    lots of companies make brow kits that have tweezers, brushes and colour in the appropriate shade for you.

the top seller at Sephora is the Anastasia of Beverly Hills All About Brows Kit - it's $75 and comes in 3 shades.

there are stencils, powders, pencils and setting gels designed to give you the perfect brow for your face.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    xcptnl wrote: »

I feel your pain. Mine got really sparse after I had treatment for a hyperactive thyroid and went on medication for it. I use a pencil a little lighter than my hair color and just hope I don't look like an idiot. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks everyone. I picked up an eyebrow kit at Ulta last night. The girls in there helped me pick a shade - it's a powder kit. Even though I am brunette they had me get the blonde kit because my brows are light so hopefully it will work OK.
    Central Massachusetts

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file