Anyone with gray hair use a violet shampoo?

2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
As I let my hair become gray, I'm wondering when/if to use one of those violet-based shampoos that are supposed to remove any yellowing. (ie: White Violet by Artec/L'Oreal, Aveda Blue Malva, Phyto Phytargent). They're also supposed to brighten up the gray and improve shine. However, their ingredients list is not especially CG. On the other hand, if I only use one occassionally, perhaps it wouldn't hurt. :dontknow: I tend to over-analyze a lot (!) and I probably don't have enough gray yet to worry about this, but I figured I'd start researching early!

So, anyone with experience or advice?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    I understand you can use a few drops of laundry "bluing" (found in the laundry aisle) in your regular washing conditioner or shampoo. I haven't used it on my hair, but it does work for my white laundry to give it more of a white look, rather than yellow.
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Posts: 1,280Registered Users
    2poodles wrote: »
    As I let my hair become gray, I'm wondering when/if to use one of those violet-based shampoos that are supposed to remove any yellowing. (ie: White Violet by Artec/L'Oreal, Aveda Blue Malva, Phyto Phytargent). They're also supposed to brighten up the gray and improve shine. However, their ingredients list is not especially CG. On the other hand, if I only use one occassionally, perhaps it wouldn't hurt. :dontknow: I tend to over-analyze a lot (!) and I probably don't have enough gray yet to worry about this, but I figured I'd start researching early!

So, anyone with experience or advice?

I have used the Clairol Shimmer lights and the knockoff Blue Malva. They do remove the yellow on your whites, however, I found that they really,really, really tend to strip my hair. Left my hair very tangled.
    I have not tried applying conditioner before I use them. I would say that if you used them followed immediately with a DT, then you'd be in good shape.
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fhopetocurl%2F" class="Popup
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    My hairdresser suggested that I use Shimmer Lights once a week to cut down on some of the yellow. It does really strip the hair, though, so I have to use a lot of conditioner afterwards. Warning: If you use it more than once a week, you'll start looking like a "blue-hair."
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
    Thanks for the advice and warning, KKL! I think I'll hold off for now. Not enough gray yet to risk stripping my hair or turning it blue!
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,672Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have used Silver Fox conditioner and my hair is very shiny with the grays looking brighter after I use it. Here are the ingredients:

Deionized Water, Stearalkonium Chloride, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Aloe Vera Gel, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Elastin, Retinyl Palmitate, Cholecalciferol, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Collagen Amino Acids, Corn Oil, Citric Acic, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Ext. D&C Violet No. 2, Fragrance

I also have Aveda Blue Malva, which I don't like as much as the Silver Fox stuff, but I will use it up. I used either of these about every other month (because I forget to use them), and I do use a good detangling leave-in before I try to comb out my hair.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • curlprocurlpro Posts: 332Registered Users
    Hi curls2grow,
    Swartzkopf has just gone sulfate free with all their shampoos, the BC or Bonacure line is great, use Silver Reflex, they also have a conditioning toning Mousse with a violet base. In Florida grey hair goes yellow very easily, and blonds can use it too if they are getting brassy from well water or environmental factors. Good luck CurlPro
    curlpro wrote: »
    Swartzkopf has just gone sulfate free with all their shampoos, the BC or Bonacure line is great, use Silver Reflex, they also have a conditioning toning Mousse with a violet base.
    Do you have a link to the Silver Reflex product(s)? I hope they have a conditioner! :) Thanks for mentioning it!
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
  • pigreyhoundpigreyhound Posts: 764Registered Users
    Hello,
    When I left my hair grey/white (I had a moment of temporary insanity and decided to dye it again since it was so much work to keep it from yellowing and I hadn't figured out my curly hair routine. I am seriously thinking of going back to grey) I used the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]Deva no poo[/buylink] and conditioner for blonde hair. I do also like the Phytoargent, and would switch that in on occasion.
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
    Co-wash: TJ Nourish
    Protein: CJ Repair Me
    Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
    Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
    Can anyone please help me out with a link to the BC or Bonacure line, or Silver Reflex? I have never heard of these and I would love to buy them online. Thanks!
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users

Thanks, 2poodles! :) But since I CO wash, I was hoping they made a conditioner to go with the shampoo. I don't see one listed at that link -- do you know if a conditioner is available in the line, targeted for gray hair?
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    I'm afraid to use a purple shampoo for my white hairs. I have dry hair already & I don't want it to take away what "red" I have left! :( But I have looked at the Jhirmack brand. I just wish they had a conditioner.
    Putting in another plug for the Silver Fox conditioner. I haven't tried the shampoo, but I used the condish this morning and my hair felt clean and my curls looked great!
  • a.l.i.c.e.a.l.i.c.e. Posts: 673Registered Users
    I've used shimmer lights as well as the similar shampoo from Jergens. I am not gray, but naturally blonde/light brown, and in the summer my hair gets very brassy. Shimmer Lights definitely makes it look whiter (or in my case, pale sandy golden)/less orangey (so much so that people asked me if I got highlights the next day), but it does strip the hair horribly. Jergens seemed to strip the hair as well, but didn't seem to noticably change the color.

I have used shimmer lights in the past in the summer, but not sure if I will this summer since I am now co-washing only.
    botticelli-ish bob.

Current Routine:
    -Suave Aloe & Waterlily cowash/leave-in
    -Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    -FOTE aloe vera gel
  • boticelli-beeyatchboticelli-beeyatch Posts: 4Registered Users
    Did you Ladies know that Shimmer lights has a conditioner??
    There are also no 'cones in it! great for a co-wash.
    The shampoo is very stripping so tomorrow Im gonna try the conditioner.
    Iam a 3a-b with high lifted blond hair that tends to go yellow.
    Can you please tell me where Shimmer Lights conditioner is sold?
  • boticelli-beeyatchboticelli-beeyatch Posts: 4Registered Users
    most beauty supply stores including 'Sally beauty supply'
    the color is strong though, so I wouldnt use it more than once a week.
  • AcousticAngelAcousticAngel Posts: 1Registered Users
    I've used shimmer lights as well as the similar shampoo from Jergens. I am not gray, but naturally blonde/light brown, and in the summer my hair gets very brassy. Shimmer Lights definitely makes it look whiter (or in my case, pale sandy golden)/less orangey (so much so that people asked me if I got highlights the next day), but it does strip the hair horribly. Jergens seemed to strip the hair as well, but didn't seem to noticably change the color.

I have used shimmer lights in the past in the summer, but not sure if I will this summer since I am now co-washing only.
    I just wanted to add, I bought the Jergens version that you stated didnt work, well...ON TOP OF THAT...It dried my scalp out SO bad, that I had to discontinue use, and I am lying in bed right now with tea tree oil on my head in a shower cap, to treat the dry, scaley burning itching flakes of skin on my scalp. I didnt have this problem prior to Jergins. I cant find the blue shampoo I used to use, so I just ordered Shimmer Lights online due to all the good feedback on it. Does anyone know if it is bad for drying scalp? I also bought online an Organic Shampoo WITH tea tree oil in it, and same conditioner, to help me heal...SO...until it all gets here, lets hope the selsom blue will give me enough comfort, and this treatment (now) I have on helps heal...yall...this sucks! SO>>>>STAY AWAY from JERGANS!!! :laughing7:
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,304Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i just got a bottle of Shimmer Lights conditioner on Ebay. My hair gets a little yellow in the summer so I thought I'd give it a try. Will let you know how it works.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    Hi jeepcurlygurl! I would love to hear what you think of the Shimmer Lights conditioner. I've been using either Aveda Blue Malva or Silver Fox conditioners about once per month. I find them drying, even with just one use (the Blue Malva is slightly less drying than Silver Fox, IME).

ETA: I just realized that I contradicted myself from my earlier post about BM being more drying than SF. I guess this is a "YMMV" thing for me, from one use to the other. :dontknow:
  • winifredwinifred Posts: 295Registered Users
    I've tried Shimmer Lights shampoo, and it really helps get rid of brassiness, but it is very drying. I also tried SL conditioner and it was very runny and not moisturizing. I used it after the shampoo, so I can't say if it helped get rid of orange/yellow tones.

I've been using American Crew Classic Gray shampoo, which doesn't dry my hair out. It's blue, not purple, and it tones down brassiness. It smells like men's cologne--it's marketed for men, I think.
    Well I've only used the shimmer lights conditioner twice so I can't really say if it removes the yellow or not yet.
    But it isn't at all conditioning or detangling. The smell is a bit perfumey for me. And it made my head itch.
    So not a great endorsement so far. But it was cheap on Ebay for a big bottle, and it CG, so if it really helps with the yellowing I could live with it occasionally.

If I can find the other kinds of conditioners mentioned here on Ebay (I don't pay retail for much of anything, especially if it's an experiment) I'll give them a try also.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,380Registered Users
    The blue/purple dyes will help neutralize some yellow/brassiness in gray or blond hair, but consider using a chelating clarifying shampoo to remove the rust deposits (from hard water) that are discoloring it in the first place.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
    winifred, Is the American Crew conditioner available locally or online? I'm Googling now, but wanted to know the best place to get, from your experience. Also, I'm seeing that there are several different versions of the conditioner -- would love to know which one you are using. Thanks.
  • winifredwinifred Posts: 295Registered Users
    curls2grow wrote: »
    winifred, Is the American Crew conditioner available locally or online? I'm Googling now, but wanted to know the best place to get, from your experience. Also, I'm seeing that there are several different versions of the conditioner -- would love to know which one you are using. Thanks.

curls2grow: I don't use American Crew conditioner--I use the shampoo followed by one of the conditioners in my signature. The shampoo is called American Crew Classic Gray. It's available in beauty salons, barber shops, Ricky's NYC, and online. My husband uses it too and he bought it at his barber shop. When we ran out of it, I bought it at Ricky's. It costs around $8.00.
    Thanks for posting back. I am getting to be so ding-ey. Sorry I missed seeing the full name of the product in your earlier post.
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,103Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i'm just now deciding to 'go gray,' and have been researching shampoos.
    anyone have anything to add to this thread, a definite cg shampoo that does remove the yellow?

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    I haven't found anything that works really well yet, cg or non-cg.
    I spend alot of time in the sun and wind, and I go to bars where there's alot of smoke, so my grey does get yellow. I don't really worry about it too much, but I do like to keep it as bright as I can as long as it's fast and easy.

I've used Pantene silver expressions shampoo and Clairol shimmer lights conditioner and haven't noticed that they do much of anything. They are both drying and hard on my hair and I can't stand the smell of the shimmer lights at all.

The only thing that seems to brighten my hair up a bit, without being drying and without sulfates or cones is Roux FanciFull temporary hair rinse in white minx. I just put it on my hair after washing and before putting in my gel. Quick and easy. My hair still isn't as bright as it could be but it will do.
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,103Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    that is what i feared -- either cg or gray. :-(
    i tried googling Roux FanciFull and got other websites, but nothing that tells me exactly what it is.
    is it like a temporary color rinse?
    have you tried the devablonde no poo and low poo? according to the description, it is good for silver hair. not sure what it does exactly.
    i'm confused -- are the shampoos that are good for blondes also good for gray hair?
    thanks!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    Yes, roux fancifull is a temp rinse. When I first started going grey I used a dark brown shade to cover up my skunk stripe while it was growing out. I've bought it on Ebay and at Sally Beauty Supply.

I actually never use shampoo but tried the Pantene shampoo for grey hair just as an experiment. I can't remember whether the store was out of the conditioner or if the ingredients were even worse, but there was some reason I got the shampoo instead of conditioner.

The Clairol shimmer lights conditioner is CG as I recall.

All of these products are electric blue in color so be careful you don't get them on your clothes. I assume they would stain.

I've never tried Deva products. My hair and I both prefer to use inexpensive products.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file