Intro and beg for help (of course)

brdudeonbrdudeon Posts: 66Registered Users
I've been lurking off and on for a while. I decided it was time to introduce myself and ask for some advise.

First, I've only been no-poo since November. I've been straightening my hair for my entire life. I didn't realize how much curl I had until recently.

I haven't quite figured out what hair type I am. My hair is fine and really thick, has great defined curl/waves in the healthy middle layers, but lays flat against my head like the type 2 description. Not sure where to put myself.

I've got a 3-4 inch section at my scalp that is growing out with no hair color on it. The rest is layers upon layers of hair color damage. The portion near my scalp that is growing out feels gummy. It obviously has some buildup but I'm not sure from what. The rest of my hair feels pretty good. Not gummy, not too soft. There is a small section of the canopy that is still pretty dry on just one side, but otherwise, the curl is looking good. The bottom layer that rubs across my shoulders during the day tends to matt up really badly by the end of the day.

I can't figure out what is making the roots feels so gummy. I'm not sure if it's build up from proteins in my conditioner or just that the roots are SO much healthier, they need less CO than the rest.

I'm using Suave Naturals Lavender to co-wash my scalp every other day. I'm using Bio-infusion Professional Rosemary and Mint conditioner for the rest of my hair. I scrunch in Garnier Fructis Style Curl Shaping Spray gel afterwards. Any ideas?
Lots of medium to fine, extremely porous and color damaged hair.
Suave Tropical Coconut for co-wash
Bed Head Tigi Moisture Maniac
FX Curl Booster Fixative Gel
Gel

CG since November 2007
Slowly growing out the color damaged hair. I'm halfway there!!:p

Comments

• hopetocurlhopetocurl Posts: 1,280Registered Users
    Have you tried clarifying your hair? Maybe an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse. Some people, especially those of us that are 2's need to 'poo more often than some of the curlier types. Some poo once a week. You might just need to poo with a sulfate free poo... or you can always do the brown sugar scrub on your scalp.

I know that castor oil may cause a buildup, but usually the PEG on it makes it okay. But your Spray gel has PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil in it.

I don't know if this will help any, I'd start by poo'ing and doing an ACV rinse.
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • brdudeonbrdudeon Posts: 66Registered Users
    Thanks hopetocurl. I did shampoo this weekend and clarify. My hair feels much better today. I think I'll try it once a week. Hopefully that won't dry my hair too badly.
    Lots of medium to fine, extremely porous and color damaged hair.
    Suave Tropical Coconut for co-wash
    Bed Head Tigi Moisture Maniac
    FX Curl Booster Fixative Gel
    Gel

CG since November 2007
    Slowly growing out the color damaged hair. I'm halfway there!!:p

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file