Chicken soup - how much broth?

CurlyMireyaCurlyMireya BannedPosts: 956Banned Users
I've made chicken soup before, but I forget how much broth I used. I think I used bouillon before which I don't have now. I don't like chicken broth because one can seems to get you nowhere. I have 2 cans, and I plan on using those and diluting a bit. The vegetables should add enough flavor, right? Should two cans be enough - I'm using a small dutch oven pan (maybe about 2 quarts-sized). I hate watery chicken soup - this is why I like bouillon, man. Don't want to go to the store, though. How much can I dilute it without it turning totally watery?
"I'm half Hispanic, half white, and look like an Indian." - Bill Richardson

Comments

• alisons79alisons79 Posts: 680Registered Users
    Why are you diluting it? Just use the broth as you would water.

Put in the broth, veggies, meat, bones, whatevertheheckyouputinyoursoup and cook it. Then eat it. Then send me the rest! :)
    3A/3B
    I love Jessicurl HCC, Jessicurl Too Shea, KCKT, KCCC, CK and HESMU...but it took a LOT of trial error to get to these products that consistently work for ME.
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    I have a chicken soup thread somewhere, from yesterday - I made some for my mom who is sick.

Your flavor shouldn't be coming from the broth you use, but what you put in it. You put the amount you need to have enough liquid, and should be fine even if you only use water...
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • CurlyMireyaCurlyMireya Banned Posts: 956Banned Users
    Why are you diluting it? Just use the broth as you would water.
    I used two cans which, alone, barely filled 1/4 of the pan. I had a TON of vegetables that I wanted to use so I needed more broth to at least cover them. I ended up adding a few cups of water, a beef bouillon cube, and a packet of Ramen chicken soup mix. I didn't have to add much seasoning after the veggies cooked down. It ended up being really good; the broth had good flavor.
    "I'm half Hispanic, half white, and look like an Indian." - Bill Richardson
  • alisons79alisons79 Posts: 680Registered Users
    I guess I just figured that most veggies themselves are comprised of water and so the water would come out when it cooked. Added to the chicken broth and everything would come together to taste good! :)

But I'm glad that it did come out good for you!

Did you need my address for the "send some to me part"??? ;-)
    3A/3B
    I love Jessicurl HCC, Jessicurl Too Shea, KCKT, KCCC, CK and HESMU...but it took a LOT of trial error to get to these products that consistently work for ME.
  • stefathenastefathena Posts: 450Registered Users
    you know, you can make chicken soup with plain water, right? it just takes a little longer, but it tastes far better.
    new york city

barack the vote!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file