Poll - for those with a combination hair type

If you describe your hair with 2 or more curl types (ie. 3b/c, 2b/3a/3b, 3c/4a) what makes it that way?

For me, it's a little of all the options: I think my curl size is smaller than 3b but a little bigger than 3c.

My hair looks more 3b sometimes because it is silky and hangs down when it gets long, but it acts 3c in the way it curls tightly from the roots, takes to braid outs and twist outs, has tons of shrinkage and stays curly no matter what.

I have some spots curlier than others, as well, and sometimes my hair looks more 3c and sometimes more 3b (depends on length, styling, products, weather etc).
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• SalmagundiSalmagundi Posts: 35Registered Users
    For me, it's a combination as well. I don't think any two of my hairs are perfectly identical; I swear every section does its own thing. Most of my hair falls within the 3a range, some is looser, a few sections are tighter. Also, depending on the weather and how it's styled, any one of those hair types may dominate over the others. When it's rainy or humid, my hair curls up more tightly than usual and I get very defined ringlets that vary somewhat in tightness. When the weather is dry and windy, I get a fluffier, less defined mixture of waves and spirals. Depending on how I style it, my hair can very easily look a bit more curly (if I diffuse) or more wavy (if I rake and don't scrunch), so it's very malleable, I guess.

Over all, my hair behaves most like a loose 3a: lies in wavy clumps when wet, gains curl with length, hangs in loose curls when dry. However, because it is so fine, the weight pulls a lot of the curl out of the roots. This was a discovery I made recently since I noticed that all of the short new hairs currently growing on my head are quite curly despite being only a couple of inches long.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and is generally considered to have been a bad move."
    -Douglas Adams
  • RainRain Posts: 217Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair is 3b deep in its heart. It usually appears more 3a or even looser except at the ends because it's long and the curl gets pulled out -- if not from the weight, then from the way I handle it. I need my towel turban even if it does pull my roots out straight. I also use products that weigh my fluffy puff down. If I cut my hair short, it would bounce right back up to 3b. The texture hasn't changed and I find I have more in common with the moisture needs of 3b's than I do with 3a's. When I go down the checklists in the CG book that are supposed to help you decide if you're a corkscrew or Botticelli, I definitely have aspects of both categories. So...3a/b it is.
    3a/b, fine, lots of it
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I voted that my hair is a mix of different types on different parts of my head. But I guess I should have voted the last choice, because although my hair is more 3c, it looks 3b or 3a here in arid NM. My hair was always much curlier when I lived in places with more humidity. It shows in my old photos, but you'd never guess it looking at the ones from NM. :cry: :evil:

But in good weather (anywhere but here!), my hair is mostly 3c with some 3b and 3a parts.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • LadydncingLadydncing Posts: 964Registered Users
    Amneris wrote:
    If you describe your hair with 2 or more curl types (ie. 3b/c, 2b/3a/3b, 3c/4a) what makes it that way?

For me, it's a little of all the options: I think my curl size is smaller than 3b but a little bigger than 3c.

My hair looks more 3b sometimes because it is silky and hangs down when it gets long, but it acts 3c in the way it curls tightly from the roots, takes to braid outs and twist outs, has tons of shrinkage and stays curly no matter what.

I have some spots curlier than others, as well, and sometimes my hair looks more 3c and sometimes more 3b (depends on length, styling, products, weather etc).

Hey, you just described my hair, except that I don't do braids and
    twists. I wish I knew how to do all that. :(
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl
    Password: Locks

event.png
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    i voted "Some sections are one curl type, some another" because some parts of my hair form 3A curls/spirals, while other parts just form waves.

ETA: also a little bit of "Hair sometimes looks like one type, sometimes like another" because some days my hair looks extra-curly and some days it just wants to wave.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    double post
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • skywatcherskywatcher Posts: 429Registered Users
    I voted: "Some sections are one curl type, some another"
    because some sections of my hair are 3a curly, while other sections(mostly underneath) are wavy.
    3a/2c
    Long layers, past BSL
    Loving: CON poo, Elucence MBC, Jessicurl WDT, B&A Gel.
    SLS free poos since Feb 6/05
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    skywatcher wrote:
    I voted: "Some sections are one curl type, some another"
    because some sections of my hair are 3a curly, while other sections(mostly underneath) are wavy.

Same for me.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Ladydncing wrote:
    Amneris wrote:

Hey, you just described my hair, except that I don't do braids and
    twists. I wish I knew how to do all that. :(

Well, you are one of my hair twins/cousins!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    My hair is extremely dry (like the kinkier types) but very lightweight and easily weighed down (like the straightier/wavier types). It's very soft...but frizzy. Depending on the product and technique (no heat applied) it could look anywhere from a frizzy 2b to a fluffy 4a. Sometimes it's silky, and sometimes it's cottony, again, depending on the product. It's resistent to relaxers (strong), but very prone to split ends and damage (weak). I still can't figure out what it needs and what to do with it... :evil:

• kimmyckimmyc Posts: 551Registered Users
    I voted a combination of the above. This applies to me: "Some sections are one curl type, some another" I have some 3a curls in the front but the back is mostly 2b and the underneath in back is only real slightly wavy.

This also applies to me: "Hair sometimes looks like one type, sometimes like another" On a day when I air dry my hair down and don't clip it at the roots or don't let it dry overnight, I usually look like a 2b. If I dry it overnight or diffuse I sometimes look like a complete 3a.
    2b/3a, primarily use Jessicurl and DevaCurl products, Curls Hair Tea conditioner and various gels. I'm modified CG-ish since 5/04.
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,151Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Mine is a combination of two: (1)Hair sometimes looks like one type, sometimes like another, and (2) Hair looks like one type, but acts like another.

With certain products(or lack of product), I can make my curls looser or tighter, or when I brush my hair(w/ a boar brush), I can make my curls looser.

There are also times, more often than not, when my hair looks like it's 3c, but feels like it's 4a/b. The sides around my ears are tighter and more cottony(though still straw diameter). It doesn't take much for it to lose it's curl and turn into frizz(not that I associate frizz with 4a/b types). My hair on the sides can easily be picked out into a fro, but the top, middle, and certain areas in the back cannot.

This section also takes products differently. Actually, I have to apply product to my entire head differently. The top has a looser curl pattern, and the sides tend to need more product. So when I apply product to the front sections, I have to apply more of it to the sides, and just enough in the front so that the looser parts don't look weighed down or stringy, and the side parts don't look too fluffy.

In the back, I can apply pretty liberally except in the lower area near the nape of my neck. My curls are looser there, so the more product, the lower my curls hang in comparison to the rest of my hair. So I apply most of the product above that area and do the looser curls last. When I apply product to the looser curls, I water down the product to make sure I don't over-apply.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • mitabirdmitabird Posts: 226Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I voted "Some sections are one curl type, some another". I guess the top layer of my hair is 3b, but I have waves underneath (by the nape area) and tight tight curls by my temples. Of course, I wish the wavier part was tighter and the tighter part was looser, but I've learned to just deal with it. It looks more natural to me if it doesn't look 100% perfect.
    Western Pennsylvania

3b, medium textured, medium thickness, medium porosity, protein sensitive
    CG since 6/22/04

CO Washes: Suave Conditioners, Devacurl No Poo
    Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish, GV Conditioning Balm, JC Too Shea
    Styling: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Chi Infra Gel, GF Pure Clean Gel
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
    pw: manycurls
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    I voted in the bottom category because my hair "is in between different curl sizes," and "sometimes looks like one type, sometimes like another," and "some sections are one curl type, some another."

The size of my curls is pretty much between an Alex Kingston 3b and a Gloria Reuben 3c. Depending on how I style it, it can look anywhere from 2c to 3c. Since I wear my hair down, most of the time it looks like what it is (3b/c), but I can alter its appearance too.

I definitely have different curl types all over my head and even on one strand of hair, as I was just noticing last night. My roots are a wavy 3a. The top and sides of my hair are 3b. The back is 3b/c, and the very bottom towards the nape of my neck is 3c. There is a lot of difference going on my hair, which I think is somewhat typical of curly hair, making it more of a challenge to keep it looking like a uniform style or look (unlike stick straight, type 1 hair or even very loose, wavy type 2 hair).

My textures are all mixed up too. The looser parts of my hair are silky and the tighter parts are more cottony - with or without products. My hair is also very coarse and resillient - it handles chemicals well which allowed me to abuse it for many years although I have stopped doing that.

I've fought my hair my entire life, but I am now in a mode of accepting and even glorifying it. Chopping it all off way back when was part of that self acceptance and self love, but discovering this site in 2003 advanced me to a whole different level. :D

PS. Amneris- I noticed that you finally edited your hair type to accurately reflect that it is 3b/c..... Love it :wink:
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • onegirlarmy33onegirlarmy33 Posts: 18Registered Users
    My hair, feel, characteristics and texture is 3 all the way. And then the curl type is 3a in the front and sides and in the back it's more 2b wave. Very strange.

I voted for the second to last option.
    [3A/2B, wavy]
  • DancingbadgerDancingbadger Posts: 136Registered Users
    I voted for in between. However, I would say it sometimes does all of the above.

My hair is curly, but the spring factor (using CG typing) is only 2 or 3 inches. But the checklist in the CG book for wavy does not decribe me, the Boticelli one does. I never thought I had straight hair. Sometimes certain pieces curl more.

I find that it is closest to a 2b because I need to wash more often, but that it appears when it's pretty curly as if I'm more of a 3a.

hence I call it "wavycelli." :lol:
    My hair is a mix of 2b/3a and even a bit of 3b thrown in! I would call my hair wavycelli. It curls most when I leave it alone after wet scrunching. My hair has a spring factor of about 2 or 3 inches and has a very silky, medium texture.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    My hair is a combination of the above. My hair usually looks like 2b, but, on some very lucky days I can pull off a 3a. Some sections of my hair (the canopy) are a 2b and the nape is 3a. My hair looks like 2b, but, acts like curly hair. I get my best advice on products, etc. from really curly girls. Even when I am told that the product will be "too much" for my 2b hair, my hair just loves it. Examples are Nourish & Shine, Lock and Twist, and as much moisture as I can put on it. I also never get greasy or flat hair like most wavies.
  • urbancurlurbancurl Posts: 980Registered Users
    I am definitely "All of the above." At any given time I have curls that size-wise look 3b, 3b/c and 3c. I also sometimes have sections that look straight, but close up they have the occasional irregular curve or kink. The weather and products make a big difference. In dry climates, my hair is pretty much 3b, but I always have the kind of volume that I associate more with 3c hair, or even type 4 hair. My hair is very soft and feels silky. It gets very frizzy. Sigh. To be honest I am still confused about my hairtype. There's a lot going on on my head! :lol:
    "It is wrong to use moral means to preserve immoral ends." MLK, Jr.

Password= urban
  • capriciouscurlscapriciouscurls Posts: 33Registered Users
    I voted for the bottom category because my hair is definitely:

1. "in between different curl sizes"
    2. "looks like one type, sometimes like another"
    4. "some sections are one curl type, some another"

I think 3 is correct as well, "hair looks like one type, but acts like another" but I'm not 100% so I'll leave number 3 out because I just started CG.

I have given up on trying to type my hair because I have combination hair which will never fit a single "type." My curls aren't all one size and they range typically between 3 and 4. However, depending on how much water my hair absorbs and what products I style with, I can have anywhere from wavy 2a to kinky 4b. I have fine hair but it holds wavy type 2 & 3b curls after braid outs really well (I don't use rollers) and goldilocks\shirley temple curls (saturate my hair in condish, curl hair around my finger, hold for a minute or two and let go). If I just let it air dry out of the shower, hours later I'll have a BAA.

The front portion of my head, when dry is what I guess you could call a kinky 4b - it's where my least defined curls are and tends to frizz a lot. The back of my hair grows the longest and is a 3b when dry and long but that could be a result of my hair length\products stretching the curl out. The sides of my hair are a 3c when dry. The under layers of my hair can get to points of almost straightness... I pretty much always wear my hair up because of the volume so it usually appears 3c.

The first picture is my hair out of the shower (still wet), the second & third are with Fructis Leave In Condish, the fourth & fifth are braid outs day 1/2, I used french braids\corn rows to get a wider curl pattern.
    lv
    dark brunette. curlinky. fine. low porosity. very thick. high elasticity.
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    Rain wrote: »
    My hair is 3b deep in its heart. It usually appears more 3a or even looser except at the ends because it's long and the curl gets pulled out -- if not from the weight, then from the way I handle it. I need my towel turban even if it does pull my roots out straight. I also use products that weigh my fluffy puff down. If I cut my hair short, it would bounce right back up to 3b. The texture hasn't changed and I find I have more in common with the moisture needs of 3b's than I do with 3a's. When I go down the checklists in the CG book that are supposed to help you decide if you're a corkscrew or Botticelli, I definitely have aspects of both categories. So...3a/b it is.
    This is my hair as well. You can see how small my curl pattern gets when my hair is short in the thread with the childhood pics here. My healthy texture and curl pattern hasn't changed at all since then. But you can see a huge difference in my curl pattern when it's long and has product in it (and is still recovering from being damaged).

I've given up on trying to type my hair beyond it being curly because I haven't seen anyone else on here with hair that behaves similarly to mine and I've realized that it really doesn't matter anyway.
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • capriciouscurlscapriciouscurls Posts: 33Registered Users
    Nallia wrote: »

I've given up on trying to type my hair beyond it being curly because I haven't seen anyone else on here with hair that behaves similarly to mine and I've realized that it really doesn't matter anyway.

I hear you! Combination curlies ftw C: In a way, I think we're all combination.
    lv
    dark brunette. curlinky. fine. low porosity. very thick. high elasticity.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file