Making slings

iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
I thought it would be fun to make some slings while I am pregnant and have some free time.

Does anyone have any advice on what type of sling to try or anything I should keep in mind about making or wearing slings?

TIA :)
3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A

Comments

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Well, a wrap would be the easiest. Obviously. ;) I think 5 yards is usually recommended for beginners, but you're very petite, so 3.5 to 4 would probably be fine. I'd recommend something with a slight stretch to it, but not too much. Stretchy wraps are easier to learn on and adjust, but you don't want the baby sagging.

Next easiest would be a pouch. Someone else may give more input on that, but I'm personally not a pouch person. I have yet to master our Hotsling.

If you're pretty handy and think you can handle sewing in the rings, you could try a ring sling. You may want to try several different shoulder styles (if you're really ambitious). Jan at SBP (Sleeping baby productions) makes a pleated shoulder that's pretty popular. She has some DIY instructions on her website. http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/

All of the above, you should be able to make with a simple sewing machine. If you were to make a mei tai, I'd imagine you'd need a machine that will sew through several layers of bottom-weight fabric, since the straps and body need to be made of a pretty sturdy material.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've made a wrap, a pouch and 2 mei teis.

I used directions from the link that Bailey posted. The mei tei I did was the "interchangeable panel" one, except at the last minute I got lazy and put a permanent panel on it.

My MIL helped me with the actual stitching because I'm a sewing moron, but it wasn't hard to make any of them.

• internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    I used medium weight fabrics, upholstery thread, and reinforced stitching. I used plastics rings, because metal can get quite hot.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    I just purchase a regluar lenght shawl and tie a square knot. no sewing required.
    hello.world.
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been thinking about making some too. I used to sew a lot, (haven't recently), and it seems like I could make some for less than they would cost to buy.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Bailey422 wrote: »
    Well, a wrap would be the easiest. Obviously. ;) I think 5 yards is usually recommended for beginners, but you're very petite, so 3.5 to 4 would probably be fine. I'd recommend something with a slight stretch to it, but not too much. Stretchy wraps are easier to learn on and adjust, but you don't want the baby sagging.

I "made" my own wrap by buying some stretchy fabric on clearance at Wal-Mart and cutting it in half lengthwise, because it was too wide. I'm about your size, iris, and got 3.5 yards because that was all they had left, but it's not long enough for all the carries. I can do a short front cross carry, but not a regular cross carry. If I ever get the courage to try a back carry, it should be long enough for rucksack too.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    The back carry is not so bad. I waited until Lex could hook his legs around me tightly and sit up well before I attempted it. It's much more comfortable than the hip/shoulder carry. The only downside is that I need to wear a hoodie or my hair in a high ponytail for a little bit.
    hello.world.
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    I see many Latina women around here back carrying their babies in rebozos. I was just too chicken to back carry. :lol: I don't like not being able to see what is going on behind me.
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just bought some fabric to make a ring sling and a wrap. The wrap fabric has finished edges, so all I'll do is hem the ends! I still need to order some rings for the sling though. I'll let you all know how they turn out! :blob7:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file