Losing curl...

barefootbarefoot Registered Users Posts: 11
I've been trying this CG stuff for about 2 weeks. The first day my hair looked great and very curly. The next day it looked good and a little curly. By the end of the week it was very greasy so I decided to shampoo it. It's been almost a week since I shampood last, but it has progressed to being less wavy than when I started (though no longer greasy, I think I was using too much conditioner before). My hair used to be wavy and could get curly if I encouraged it. Now no matter what I do it only gets a slight wave. Is it going to get better? What's going on?
Fine, thin 2a-2b hair.

Comments

• misspammisspam Registered Users Posts: 5,318
    Hi barefoot,

I don't know how much help I can be as I have only been cg (modified) since January, but a few things pop to mind. From my experience, the first 3 weeks or so are the toughest, especially if you want to be strictly cg. I found that after 2 weeks, I had to do something after I became over conditioned. :sad8: If you have the Curly Girl book, Lorraine Massey does state that most type 2's may need an occasional shampoo. I find that after a few days my 2c - 3a hair needs an acv rinse and I do shampoo once a week with a gentle sulfate-free poo as per the cg method.

Others here have had luck with other rinses like the lemon aid also found in the cg book. Hang in there and keep poking around these boards. You will eventually find what works best for you. :blob7:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lovely_wreckedlovely_wrecked Registered Users Posts: 2
    i havent been using the product from the site
    mostly because im not a hundred percent sure is to wat to purchase and as you can tell most of the products are much higher in price then what I or You would typically find in ur local store... but my curls are losing there bounce some times ill where my hair curly its so nice when its when but wen i dry it. it loses all its curl to where i just end up puttin it back... :(
    i like my hair straight but its alot more work then it seems and id rather it be curly
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,280
    misspam wrote: »
    Hi barefoot,

I don't know how much help I can be as I have only been cg (modified) since January, but a few things pop to mind. From my experience, the first 3 weeks or so are the toughest, especially if you want to be strictly cg. I found that after 2 weeks, I had to do something after I became over conditioned. :sad8: If you have the Curly Girl book, Lorraine Massey does state that most type 2's may need an occasional shampoo. I find that after a few days my 2c - 3a hair needs an acv rinse and I do shampoo once a week with a gentle sulfate-free poo as per the cg method.

Others here have had luck with other rinses like the lemon aid also found in the cg book. Hang in there and keep poking around these boards. You will eventually find what works best for you. :blob7:

I agree, I find that I have to poo every 2 -3 days or else I just get waves. It's not greasy, but it's not bouncy either.

As for what to purchase or not, just make sure that it doesn't have the sulfates in them... you can poo using a coco betaine or decyl polyglucose, and avoid silicones in your styling products. there are less expensive products out there, like Burts Bees and some brands of baby shampoo. I find the trick is to find styling products without silicones in them. I've been hearing a lot about Labella Lots of Curls gels which is only $3 -$4 a bottle. I have not tried it.
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • barefootbarefoot Registered Users Posts: 11
    Thanks for the encouragement and advice. Today has been going better hairwise. I think part of my problem is that, unlike many on this forum, I need to let my hair dry a little before I apply product. I tried plopping today for a few minutes to dry my hair better and then sprayed and scrunched it. My waves look much better now!
    Fine, thin 2a-2b hair.
  • Kasey314Kasey314 Registered Users Posts: 308
    Hi barefoot (and others :) )

I have also been having issues w/ my waves/curls. Regardless of what styling products I used, my hair was going from wavy/curly when I first styled it, to just wavy by mid-day, to straight (no joke) by night time. I tried all kinds of different styling products, but no combo of products helped.

So, I decided to get a new, lighter conditioner. I had been using AOHR - it worked great in the winter but now that it's getting warmer here I think it was just too moisturizing. I came across ShiKai products at my local groccery store and ended up buying the Everyday Shampoo (sulfate and soap free) and Conditioner (has amodimethicone).

So far I really am liking my results. The poo can be a little stripping, but the CO is great - it's pretty thick, works well for me when I'm detangling, rinses easily and leaves my hair in waves while it's wet, which doesn't happen to me often. I'm getting great body and waves that are v. light. Best of all, my hair is staying wavy all day, and I'm able to get second day hair again. My hair is a little frizzier than normal when I first diffuse, but this dies down after an hour or so. I'm also experimenting using the CO as a leave-in and to revive second day hair, again w/ good results.

Anyway, if you are still having issues I would definitely give the conditioner a try! :wink: Here is the website: http://www.shikai.com/products/natural_hair_care.htm
    ~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

CG since 9/06, modified since 3/07.

:coffee: <~~ Me every morning

Updated fotki 5/06/08
    http://public.fotki.com/Kasey314/

Products-of-the-moment: Loving Innersense right now: Pure Essential Hair Bath, Pure Inspiration Daily Conditioner and I Create Quiet Calm Curl Cream. Devacurl Angell is my go to gel, nothing else like it for me. Nature's Gate Lavendar and Aloe Nourishing Conditoner is always in my shower.

password - curly girl

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file