How do you start to go shampooless?

Do you clarify really good first? My hair is still coming out more than I like and I still have some breakage. I'm wondering now if it's the shampoo and conditioner I'm using. Can the plant protein be making my hair brittle?? It's getting longer and I'm gaining volume but my scalp is itchy and burning a bit.

Speckla

Comments

• Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    The reason the clarification is recommended at first is that most people are starting from a point of having many silicones in their hair. If you have already been avoiding silicones I can't imagine how that would really be helpful.

If you think you are protein sensitive (but don't have silicone buildup) I would think you could start right away, only with protein free conditioners and stylers. Probably a protein free moisturizing DT might be a better kicking off point assuming protein sensitivity and no silicones.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Riot Crrl wrote: »
    The reason the clarification is recommended at first is that most people are starting from a point of having many silicones in their hair. If you have already been avoiding silicones I can't imagine how that would really be helpful.

If you think you are protein sensitive (but don't have silicone buildup) I would think you could start right away, only with protein free conditioners and stylers. Probably a protein free moisturizing DT might be a better kicking off point assuming protein sensitivity and no silicones.

Brand recommendations, please?

Speckla
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    Well... I've been using 365 (Whole Foods store brand) for co-wash and detangler, and a couple of Aubrey Organics products for heavier conditioning. AOHR is protein free. My other AO one is filled with protein. The 365 is protein free.

For a DT, it can be as simple as oil over water. I'm really liking oil over aloe vera juice at the moment.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file