My Manic Panic/BAQ henna experiment may have worked

riotkittyriotkitty Registered Users Posts: 1,307 Curl Connoisseur
I searched the net all week to see about mixing some Manic Panic dye into my henna to make a richer red. Supposedly Manic Panic is the only dye that is safe to do this with due to it being food coloring in an acid and herbal base.

The color I used was Red Passion, a pinky red that I added to some Yemen henna that I had been processing for about 12 hours. I mixed it a full jar in 150 grams of henna and worried because the henna just seemed to absorb it and make this brownish color. I did a strand test for about an hour just to make sure my hair didn't do anything weird with the mix. It seemed fine.

I applied to washed and dried hair and slept with the mix on. This morning I rinsed it out. The henna was darker than usual on the rinse out and it came out quickly. I towel dried, applied some deep conditioner and went to the gym. I noticed right away that color seemed more intense looking that it did on previous hennas. Its still had that orange cast, but that always goes away (oxidizes) within hours.

I rinsed out the conditioner when I got home and then styled it. Its been about 7 hours since I first rinsed. Its a very dark auburn as my hair is already dark, but as the light hits it i see a dark cranberry highlight. I just hope it lasts. Hair doesn't seem at all damaged, just the initial post-henna dryness. If this color lasts I will definitely try this again, perhaps with a darker shade of manic panic like Vampire Red.
Have several allergies and sensitivities.
Current products
Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.

Comments

• wild~hairwild~hair Registered Users Posts: 9,890 Curl Neophyte
    Cool, you're getting all fancy with the henna!

I had no idea there was any hair color you could mix with henna, so this is really interesting to me.

Let us know how it works out!
  • riotkittyriotkitty Registered Users Posts: 1,307 Curl Connoisseur
    I had heard of people mixing kool aid in their henna mix for a deeper red, and several people on hennaforhair.com were hennaing over pink hair dyed with manic panic to create a cherry red. Then I heard about some girl on a long hair forum that just mixed her manic panic dye in her henna to make a really dark red. i figured the worst that could happen is that neither dye would take. Luckily, this wasn't the case

I really like henna. Alone it gives me a pretty auburn and the texture is so much more manageable, not much frizz. I've even found that my hair is so soft and conditioned now that I use a lot less conditioner.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)

• Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    Hmm, I kind of have the opposite problem, henna already too bright and punk rock looking over hair that was previously lightened to blonde. I see that Manic Panic has come out with two brown shades now though.

MP always rinsed out pretty quick on me, but I never tried leaving it in overnight before, lol. This might be an option to tone mine down.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd be interested in updates on how well the MP shade stays in over time.
    Riot Crrl wrote: »
    Hmm, I kind of have the opposite problem, henna already too bright and punk rock looking over hair that was previously lightened to blonde. I see that Manic Panic has come out with two brown shades now though.

MP always rinsed out pretty quick on me, but I never tried leaving it in overnight before, lol. This might be an option to tone mine down.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd be interested in updates on how well the MP shade stays in over time.

Isn't that what people use indigo for?

Yeah I'll let you all know if it lasts. One thing I will say though in normal light its very dark. In sunlight it has an intense highlight, but my hair isn't "shocking" by any means.
    Current products

• Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    Lol, yeah, normal people. :wink:

I have a little indigo but I have been lazy about strand testing it. My first one had too much of a henna-ratio and nothing happened.

I'm kind of afraid of going too dark or getting an uneven result and having it be permanent. The former should be shown by strand tests, the latter possibly not.

I should probably do another test of an indigo-only gloss.
    Ok so that didn't work. Once my hair oxidized it turned my normal henna color.

Round 2: This time I'm dying it Manic Panic Vampire Red tonight first and then I'm going over it with Jamila henna tomorrow.
    Current products

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file