sodium myreth sulfate what is this?

It's in the shampoo I use. I know it's the cleaning agent but I'm wondering if it's damaging in the long run.

Speckla

Comments

• Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    It's very similar to sodium laureth sulfate. I don't know whether you avoid SLS or not, but the SMS should be functionally about the same as SLS.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Riot Crrl wrote: »
    It's very similar to sodium laureth sulfate. I don't know whether you avoid SLS or not, but the SMS should be functionally about the same as SLS.

Yes, I am avoiding SLS because I think it's bad for curly hair. I started using Jason's shampoo because it states on the front: No Lauryl/Laureth Sulfates. The sodium myreth sulfate is the 7th ingredient on the list. I want to go CG and wonder if this is a CG friendly brand.

Speckla
  • memesmemes Registered Users Posts: 785
    Years ago I used a shampoo that contained this a little ways down the ingredient list and I didn't have any trouble with. I was already avoiding ALS and SLS at the time due to irritation and drying issues and I never experienced any of that with the shampoo...which has long ago been discontinued.

M
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    That would be pretty much no.

And I'm sure you're more irritated than I am that they put that bold proclamation on the front then added something that's almost the same molecule, but my sensibilities are quite offended by it.

When I was researching it I found some conspiracy theories on the internet that companies just changed the molecule around so they could have a new name for it and say that they don't use lauryl/laureth. I kind of laughed at the time, but now I see I was too hasty indeed.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Riot Crrl wrote: »
    That would be pretty much no.

And I'm sure you're more irritated than I am that they put that bold proclamation on the front then added something that's almost the same molecule, but my sensibilities are quite offended by it.

When I was researching it I found some conspiracy theories on the internet that companies just changed the molecule around so they could have a new name for it and say that they don't use lauryl/laureth. I kind of laughed at the time, but now I see I was too hasty indeed.

:angryfire:

Could that be why my scalp still itches and burns a bit??? With the other shampoos I used, my scalp got big whelps and burned like heck...yeah, that does make me angry. I want to do what's going to be the best for my hair as it grows out. I intend to now just let it grow and grow (original goal was shoulder length when curly) since I just had a lot of damage cut off a few weeks ago and it looks much better now.

Any suggestions?

I use Biolage Reconditioning Balm and gel/mousse after I wash. I'm sure these are CG 'cause I've heard other people mention them.

Speckla
  • lapushkalapushka Registered Users Posts: 601
    According to the CG book (recommended!):

Gentle cleansers are:

- Cocamidopropyl betaine
    - Decyl polyglucose
    - Shampoos made from olive oil or wheat germ oil

Harsh:

- Sodium lauryl sulfate (harshest) -> avoid!
    - Ammonium laureth sulfate (also harsh) -> avoid!
    - Sodium laureth sulfate (a little gentler)
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,280
    I use the conditioning balm...I love it. It's CG.
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Registered Users Posts: 4,940 Curl Neophyte
    I guess technically it is a sulfate, but it is milder than sodium laureth sulfate.
    Kinda false advertising though. They should say mild, gentle sulfate, rather than "no" sulfate. They can make it sound positive without lying.

Boomygrrl
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Registered Users Posts: 4,940 Curl Neophyte
    lapushka wrote: »
    According to the CG book (recommended!):

Gentle cleansers are:

- Cocamidopropyl betaine
    - Decyl polyglucose
    - Shampoos made from olive oil or wheat germ oil

Harsh:

- Sodium lauryl sulfate (harshest) -> avoid!
    - Ammonium laureth sulfate (also harsh) -> avoid!
    - Sodium laureth sulfate (a little gentler)

I always thought the order from harsh to less harsh was:
    Ammonium lauryl sulfate; ammonium laureth sulfate; sodium lauryl sulfate; sodium laureth sulfate.

Both in agreement that sodium laureth sulfate (or SLES) is less harsh than the other three.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file