baby shampoo?

meaganmeagan Registered Users Posts: 8
can you use baby shampoo every so often?
i heard to use gentle shampoo,lemon juice,etc. and im guessing baby shampoo is gentle lol.

Comments

• nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    Depends on the baby shampoo...I know Johnson and Johnson's all have sulfates. Muestella doesn't, but it smells REALLY babylike. I love it in my daughter's hair, but in my own...not so much!
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    Depending on the baby shampoo (I'm referring to my experience with standard Johnson's) it's one of the harshest shampoos I've used. It's not made out of the strongest sulfates (sodium lauryl or sodium laureth) but it's pretty much pure medium-strength sulfates.

This is only my experience and opinion, but I found most adult shampoos featuring full-on SLS to be less stripping. The only exception I found even more stripping than Johnson's was Neutrogena Clarifying Shampoo, but that was a long time ago and it may have been reformulated, as may have Johnson's Baby.
  • meaganmeagan Registered Users Posts: 8
    nynaeve77 wrote: »
    Depends on the baby shampoo...I know Johnson and Johnson's all have sulfates. Muestella doesn't, but it smells REALLY babylike. I love it in my daughter's hair, but in my own...not so much!

ohh. bummer i just went out and bought some Johnsons....hmm lol thankx though for the information
  • CrashingGirlCurlsCrashingGirlCurls Registered Users Posts: 29
    I used baby shampoo on my hair for years - now I know it wasn't getting my hair or my scalp clean even though it was drying them out! So far I love Drama Clean conditioner as a scalp/hair cleanser.
    There was set before me a mighty hill,
    And long days I climbed
    Through regions of snow.
    When I had before me the summit-view,
    It seemed that my labour
    Had been to see gardens
    Lying at impossible distances.

Stephen Crane
  • katherinelovesevryonekatherinelovesevryone Registered Users Posts: 230
    okay, i think im about a 3c/4a and i hate hate hate shampooing my hair because it dries it out so terribly and makes it feel like wiry straw, which is why i usually only go for it 2-3 times a month

my question is would baby shampoo have a different/better effect?
    3c/4a fotki [update 4/18/09]
    blog
    approaching BSL
    BC 4/26/08! Last relaxer April '07

:wav:
    aussie moist /suave coconut conditioner (cowash/leave-in)
    long aid activator gel
    random condish+honey+olive oil+cocnut milk+whole milk+conditioner (DT)
    finger combing>>>>Tangle Teaser
  • riotkittyriotkitty Registered Users Posts: 1,307 Curl Connoisseur
    I used to use Johnson's when I started out CG years ago. Its not very good. The best thing I have found is California Baby Super Sensitive Hair and Body Wash. It cleaning agen't is Decyl Polyglucose has no real scent except for the stuff thats in it, so it won't make you smell like a baby and I use it as a face wash, too.

The other really good one I've used is [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-LowPoo-p-54.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-lowpoo]Devacurl Low-Poo[/buylink]. The only reason I've switched back to California Baby, is I want to go more natural on all my products for skin and hair.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
  • miralalunamiralaluna Registered Users Posts: 168
    It is very difficult to find baby shampoo that doesn't contain detergents, despite claims to being gentle.
    Fine texture (I think?!), normal porosity
    No 'poo since May 2007

Current products (used only as & when required!):
    - Naked Sensitive Scalp conditioner
    - Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

My Fotki - pw: curlywhirly
  • CurlyBelCurlyBel Registered Users Posts: 77
    I just posted this under the general discussion section, but thought it would apply here. Maybe these will work?

I just came back from my son's haircut place and I bought him a shampoo (because he wanted the blueberry fragance). I looked at the ingredients and I think I can use this! I'm not very familiar with the good and bad ingredients yet, so if someone can please look at these and let me know if I can use this as a CG without ruining the effects. Please be advised it's a kids shampoo so the name is funny! But my son has curly hair and his hair always looks good after they wash it.

Their website is: http://www.circle-of-friends.com/

Hans' Oom Pah Pah Shampoo

This wonderful blueberry scented shampoo, full of fresh botanical ingredients and formulated for all hair types is tearless and free of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate for the ultimate gentle shampoo.

Ingredients
    Water (Aqua), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Vaccinium Angustifolium (Blueberry) Fruit Extract, Stellarra Media (Chickweed) Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Panthenol, Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Polyquaternium-7, Glycol Distearate, Laureth-4, Lauryldimoniumhydroxypropyl Decylglucosides Chloride, Isostearamidopropyl Morpholine Lactate, Acrylates/c10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Di-PPG-2 Myreth-10 Adipate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Tricetylmonium Chloride, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, PEG-150 Distearate, Sodium Laureth-13 Carboxylate, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Citric Acid, Aminomethyl Propanol, Sodium Chloride, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Tetrasodium EDTA, Propylene Glycol, Quaternium-15, Methylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum), Red 33 (CI 17200), Blue 1 (CI 42090)
    3B, thick, course, and lots of it!
    Currently using:
    Suave Coconut, Kinky Curly Knot Today & KC Curling Custard, Bioterra Gel (HG Combo!) :love1:
    Also used:
    FOTE,DevaCare No Poo, OneC, ArcAngell, SIF, Jessicurl RR, CC,Too Shea, Ouidad, CK, PM Mousse, Biolage gelee.
    :;-)
  • lapushkalapushka Registered Users Posts: 601
    Baby shampoos have a different pH than adult shampoos, so I don't know if it's a good idea. I don't know if they are more acid or alkaline than adult shampoos.
  • riotkittyriotkitty Registered Users Posts: 1,307 Curl Connoisseur
    CurlyBel wrote: »
    I just posted this under the general discussion section, but thought it would apply here. Maybe these will work?

I just came back from my son's haircut place and I bought him a shampoo (because he wanted the blueberry fragance). I looked at the ingredients and I think I can use this! I'm not very familiar with the good and bad ingredients yet, so if someone can please look at these and let me know if I can use this as a CG without ruining the effects. Please be advised it's a kids shampoo so the name is funny! But my son has curly hair and his hair always looks good after they wash it.

This wonderful blueberry scented shampoo, full of fresh botanical ingredients and formulated for all hair types is tearless and free of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate for the ultimate gentle shampoo.

Ingredients
    Water (Aqua), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Vaccinium Angustifolium (Blueberry) Fruit Extract, Stellarra Media (Chickweed) Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Panthenol, Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Polyquaternium-7, Glycol Distearate, Laureth-4, Lauryldimoniumhydroxypropyl Decylglucosides Chloride, Isostearamidopropyl Morpholine Lactate, Acrylates/c10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Di-PPG-2 Myreth-10 Adipate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Tricetylmonium Chloride, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, PEG-150 Distearate, Sodium Laureth-13 Carboxylate, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Citric Acid, Aminomethyl Propanol, Sodium Chloride, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Tetrasodium EDTA, Propylene Glycol, Quaternium-15, Methylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum), Red 33 (CI 17200), Blue 1 (CI 42090)

If you are doing CG, these will cause problems. I personally do not like how chemical laden this shampoo is, and I think all sulfates and sulfonates are bad, not just lauryl and laureth.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
  • CurlyBelCurlyBel Registered Users Posts: 77
    riotkitty wrote: »
    CurlyBel wrote: »

Ingredients

If you are doing CG, these will cause problems. I personally do not like how chemical laden this shampoo is, and I think all sulfates and sulfonates are bad, not just lauryl and laureth.

Thanks! I'm glad I posted this here before trying it. :thumright: I think I'll do the brown sugar scrub tonight and stay away from shampoo! I ordered the trial pack from Jessicurl, so at least I can cleanse my scalp with that when it arrives.
    3B, thick, course, and lots of it!
    Currently using:
    Suave Coconut, Kinky Curly Knot Today & KC Curling Custard, Bioterra Gel (HG Combo!) :love1:
    Also used:
    FOTE,DevaCare No Poo, OneC, ArcAngell, SIF, Jessicurl RR, CC,Too Shea, Ouidad, CK, PM Mousse, Biolage gelee.
    :;-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file