Are your greys straight or curly?

Hi curlies!! I'm distressed because I'm noticing my grey hairs are straight!! :angry7: I've never had long grey before because I've kept it short for the last 5 years.
I'm getting more and more grey hairs and I'm afraid my hair is going to be straight after it's totally changed. :cry:

Speckla

Comments

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    My greys are more coarse and they're almost kinky but they still have curl too.

My aunt is still very curly and she's completely white. So I'm hoping mine will be like hers.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • lapushkalapushka Posts: 601Registered Users
    My "greys" are white. I seem to be skipping the grey part. I have fine hair, but the white hairs are even finer and seem more brittle, however they aren't really. They are stick-straight though.
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    The title of this thread made me giggle :tongue5: I have been going grey for quite a few years now. My hair is dark brown and like lapushka, I guess my "greys" are white. I am really doing that salt and pepper thing which I'm ok with. I have never colored my hair and I never will, so they are out there for all to see. They are really a wild mixed bag. Some are fine, others more coarse. Some are mildly wavy, others are curly, still others are zig-zaggy.

Anyway, my most favorite patch of white hair is right in front at the hairline and grows up for about an inch then starts to cascade down and begin one of the tightest clumpiest curls I have. My hubby calls it a stunning feature (gotta love that man!). So I have been using this white curly spot as a kind of barometer to guage the daily condition of my hair. If my "feature" is happy then I'm happy. :blob7:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Ok, let me say that they're not grey but truly silver. My family salt and peppers in their 30s and then ends up with a headful of pretty silver hair by 40ish. I just don't remember if there are any curly silver headed people.

My curl has been consistent all my life and I'm so afraid I'm going to lose it now that I've accepted it and started to like it. :sad8:

Speckla
  • CaleilaniCaleilani Posts: 728Registered Users
    I honestly don't know Speckla? I haven't seen my white hair since I've been using castor oil.But,I hope it gets white like my dad and grandma's hair.
    3B-3C, alittle past tailbone length,age:41 years
    Speckla - I wish I could say something to reassure you. My only thoughts are since your hair is shorter, the greys need some time to grow into their curly state. I do know that was the case when my hair was shorter. When the greys first appeared they did look kinda straight. The longer I let it grow, the curlier the grey hairs got as well. Also, some greys do seem to be a finer texture and that may play a role. At some point it's like they all got trained to curl (if that makes any sense).

If you have been a curly all your life, I just don't believe the simple fact that you are going grey will make it stick straight. That being said, grey hair is drier, can be more fine and fragile and needs a little more luv. You may just need to find a new routine or different products to encourage those new guys to do what you want them to do. Being a member here and following the Curly Girl routine should be a good start. :thumright:

Is this any help at all?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, it does make sense. My hair is short but not super short. It's about 8" on the longest layers. And some of those are silver and they're longer than my curly hair. I've started following curly girl again and lets see how it goes...I joked and told my husband I *may* have to break down and perm my hair if it goes straight. I love curls.

Speckla
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    The good news is, most of mine go along with the rest of my hair's curl pattern.

The bad news is I also have a different kind that aren't straight either, but they grow to 2" long only and stick up!

I'm hoping that some of my newly adopted routines can help these grow longer, or blend in or something. But I'm not holding my breath.
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Mine don't seem any different to the rest of my hair. I keep reading how grey hair has a different texture but it doesn't seem to be true in my case (not yet anyway).
    3b in South Australia.
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Mine seem pretty much like the rest of my hair. I don't have a lot, though - maybe 10 %? I do think the greys have more of a tendency to "do their own thing" at times. They're independent thinkers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

independent thinkers - I like that!! :laughing7:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Speckla wrote: »
    ...I joked and told my husband I *may* have to break down and perm my hair if it goes straight. I love curls.

Speckla
    Me too! I told DH that when I go all gray (white) or whatever, I may give up the color and have to start perming to keep the curls! :D Seriously, if they loosen and stay in the 2 category, I might live with it. But if it gets too straight, I might be perming! :tongue5:

My grays seem to turn blonde, then white. Many of them go along with the rest of the hair, but there are some that are thicker, more wiry, and stick straight up. :evil1: Nasty buggers.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    Hmmm...I just ran my fingers through my hair and there is a grey that came out...it's spirally like the rest of my hair. They're thicker and much coarser than my brown hair so I don't think the rest of my curls made it that shape...oh there is hope for curls after greys!!! :blob7:

Speckla
    Speckla wrote: »
    Hmmm...I just ran my fingers through my hair and there is a grey that came out...it's spirally like the rest of my hair. They're thicker and much coarser than my brown hair so I don't think the rest of my curls made it that shape...oh there is hope for curls after greys!!! :blob7:

Speckla

yippeeee! I am happy for you :blob7:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    My grey hairs aren't really different than my regular hair. They both can be curly, spirally, kinky, zig-zaggy, straight, thin, thick, coarse. Some stick straight out of my head, some tie themselves in knots.
    Weird hair. Or as 2poodles said - independent thinkers. And I'm ok with that.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file