whoops...

tmmycattmmycat Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 256
well I made it almost 2 weeks and then I shampooed. My hair was looking so dull as if it had a lot of buildup.

I'm going to try again stoically...if not for the sake of my hair then for the sake of my skin! Even with a layer of oil on my skin as protection, the shampoo still made me itch. :(

Sigh...so, what do you do to get rid of buildup and get your hair shiny again when you can't shampoo? I read about the sugar scrub ... maybe I can try that next time.
shoulder-length wavy - no shampoo/no cones
currently experimenting with water-only washing

Comments

• rosyrosy Registered Users Posts: 76
    Hi!
    I've been doing the CG method for only about 2 weeks, but I've found the baking soda spray(whattacurl wants) found in the curly girl book works wonders on my hair!
    Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda with one cup of warm water in a spray bottle.After you condition,blot dry.Spray with baking soda. Rinse with cold water.Blot dry.

2b/c (the sides and back)/3a (from the ears forward :laughing7:)

pw- wavygirl
  • jillipoojillipoo Registered Users Posts: 3,795 Curl Neophyte
    The baking soda solution is great, I agree! The only thing is that isn't great if you have color-treated hair. I used to do the baking soda solution but now I've switched to Lemon Aid (also in CG book). It accomplishes the same thing but is less harsh on my color-treated hair.
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • WildflowerWildflower Registered Users Posts: 112
    I third the baking soda solution. I was ready to give up CG, but persevered and am reaping the rewards!
    pw: curls
  • tmmycattmmycat Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 256
    how much baking soda do you typically use? I tried 1 teaspoon in a cereal bowl of water (I read that recipe on a different site) ... my hair was still pretty oily afterwards. I also tried 1 tablespoon in 1 cup of water ... ouch, my hair was so dry and rough after that and took 2 days to recover. so I guess the happy medium would be somewhere between those two but I am not sure what it is. I want to remove extra sebum without removing all of it.
    shoulder-length wavy - no shampoo/no cones
    currently experimenting with water-only washing
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,280
    How about using the ACV (apple cider vinegar rinse)? I found that I can only do the baking soda thing immediately before I do a DT. I can do the ACV whenever I need a boost.
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • micol124micol124 Registered Users Posts: 171
    ok, so take into consideration that I have yet to read Curly Girl, but what works the best for me is about 1 or 2 tbs of BS with 1 or 2 cups of water, and I use it as a shampoo maybe twice a week. Cleans my scalp like nothing else! Then I always finish with an ACV rinse with cool water :)
    2c/3a - Miii - Coarse - Low porosity I think

CG since 02/08

low-poo, 20/80 honey and JC TS, ACV rinse, honey and TW

http://public.fotki.com/micol124/going-cg/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file