Curly approaching 40.....another skin qt!

ringletmama2ringletmama2 Posts: 321Registered Users
Hi! I have been lurking on this forum for a while and have a question regarding a portion of the skin regimen so many of you are on. I've used Retin A in the past and I had terrible dryness and peeling. The peeling got better after the first 3 weeks but I'm wondering is there anything you can use with Retin A? I know it says it should be used alone at night but it seems like some of you are using other things with it. An oil maybe? I'd appreciate any help you can lend. My skin is fairly normal and not so sensitive otherwise.
3B: very thick, fine, easily weighed down by products

Current styling products:
Biolage Gelee or BRHG on top of
KCKT as a leave in or CK when humid
or just Joiwhip alone for moderate weather conditions

Comments

• ringletmama2ringletmama2 Posts: 321Registered Users
    Bump....anyone??

• 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My dermatologist says moisturizers can be used after retin-a at night. I use the cream form of retin -a, not the gel, so I don't find any additional moisture necessary. Plenty of folks around here will use HA and jojoba or emu oil after retin-a. HTH!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi! I have been lurking on this forum for a while and have a question regarding a portion of the skin regimen so many of you are on. I've used Retin A in the past and I had terrible dryness and peeling. The peeling got better after the first 3 weeks but I'm wondering is there anything you can use with Retin A? I know it says it should be used alone at night but it seems like some of you are using other things with it. An oil maybe? I'd appreciate any help you can lend. My skin is fairly normal and not so sensitive otherwise.

Yes, you can use a moisturizer after applying Retin-A, and that may help with irritation, but having a healthy skin barrier helps even more.

I struggled with Retin-A on-and-off for many years. It always caused so much irritation, redness, and peeling for me. I have since found out that using a non-detergent pH-neutral cleanser keeps my skin barrier in better shape and I am much better able to withstand high doses of Retin-A. I don't get irritation from it at all anymore.
    okay, so maybe a need a better/non detergent cleanser. Is there anything i can buy in a store that fits this bill? Thanks for the input!

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    okay, so maybe a need a better/non detergent cleanser. Is there anything i can buy in a store that fits this bill? Thanks for the input!

No, none of the drugstore or department store cleansers fit that bill, unfortunately. Here are 2 cleansers that are both detergent-free and pH-neutral:

http://www.dianayvonne.com/product/CSC23_8/Wheat_Germ_Cleanser_8_oz_w_FREE_2_Red_Facial_Sponges.html

https://www.psfskincare.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=GCC-8&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dall%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DAAAA
    Thanks--I may order some of that to see if it helps w/the irritation. I like using BareMinerals make up and right now when I use the brush I get terrible flakey dry skin. It's been close to 3 weeks so I guess it could get better.......I definitely appreciate all the help this forum provides, hair and otherwise!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file