Does anyone else make their own serums, etc.?

Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I made 3 different variations of Vit C serum + , and my skin seems to like what I've thrown together. I also enjoy the "creating" part-I know, geeky at heart:geek:...I use C twice a day-everyone here recommends a.m. only, but other sites say twice daily, and I like using my water-based one at night before retin-a. During the day, I use an anhydrous mix that simply uses the Monistat Anti-chaffing gel as a base, and this doubles as a MMU primer. I've never used a primer before, and still not completely sold on silicone on my face, but it's working. I also have mixed C and other ingred's in seakelp bioferment. That may end up as my staple since I love the kelp, but I need to do a SAS order. Granted, I never tried PSF Vit C, and I probably will eventually, but it's fun to play with the cheap ingredients...even more so when nothing blows up (or breaks out!). I also have salicylic acid and niacinamide powder ready to go for a BHA serum (want to get lactic acid, too) once my PSF BHA 5% is done.... I would love to know if anyone else has experimented?

Comments

• oethereal1oethereal1 Posts: 327Registered Users
    oooh, oooh, i made vitamin c serum recently. i have next to no money at the moment and most of the ingredients were already in my closet, so it was most cost effective.

i looked all over the internet and found a recipe i liked and stuck it together. i really do like it, it's definitely doing something, i swear my skin looks different (in a good way).

i'm not sure i'll be making much else - my skin is very dry and i'm afraid to use to many acids and exfoliators, etc. but if this stuff continues to work successfully i may see if i can cook up the next thing i decide i need...
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    Where are ya'll getting your Vit. C cheap and what % is it?
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Where are ya'll getting your Vit. C cheap and what % is it?
    This time I chose http://www.bulkactives.com/ascorbicacid.htm and I also got their ferulic acid, pine bark, niacinamide and salicylic acid. I also have had great success with products from http://www.skinactives.com/ Their seakelp bioferment and t-zone serum kept me going before I started benefiting from RCW's advice as well. I must say, I can't believe my skin is, well, my skin! I found many sites that sell these things so reasonably, but went with bulk actives based on various searches for reviews, recipes, etc.
  • oethereal1oethereal1 Posts: 327Registered Users
    per the gazillion websites i visited, all you need is plain ol' l-ascorbic acid powder so i hit up my local "vitamin shoppe".

i have enough to last easily forever and it only cost $10. mixed it with HA and glycerin and water and vitamin E, all of which i had.

i'm sure it isn't as good as RCW's stuff, but it seems to be doing something.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Make VERY small batches ladies, because Vit C isn't stable for very long. It's an artform to get it right and actually have it be active. It's beyond my ken.
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Make VERY small batches ladies, because Vit C isn't stable for very long. It's an artform to get it right and actually have it be active. It's beyond my ken.
    Yes-as I understand it, it starts to oxidize very quickly, especially in water. The ferulic acid adds a bit of stability, and anhydrous is most recommended. I have very small sample-size jars that I use for this purpose, and I try to follow the recommended quantities. Definitely a WIP for me. I enjoy doing it, though, but the moment I feel it's not "right", I have no qualms about leaving it to the pros:wink:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file