CurlTalk

In case you never figured out clipping,

shellynotshellynot Posts: 1,140Registered Users
i have another way for you to try! After my devacut, a couple people asked me to post pictures of how my stylist taught me to clip. But, i thought it would be easier to make a video, so i did! If you go to my hair blog (/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcurllove.blogspot.com" class="Popup) you can view the video (s). There are 3, but the second one is the most important for clipping.

So, I just thought I'd share! Let me know what you think if you get a chance to try the clipping method. :compress:
2c/3a
curl blog
curl album

"Your head is like a crown on you.
It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
I am captured by your flowing curls."
Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

Comments

• jlpmom23jlpmom23 Posts: 755Registered Users
    You are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sweetsevensweetseven Posts: 409Registered Users
    I just finished watching your videos, thank you so much for sharing! I'll definitely try this clipping method.
    3B/3C
    medium/coarse and porous

wash: KC Come Clean, Flower Peddler Northern Lights soap bar
    conditioner: YTT, YTC, KCKT, Shescentit GT&H, Shescentit Avocado, DB Pumpkin Seed, Garnier Ultra Doux, Mop Top daily conditioner
    styler: KCCC, HEBE, homemade fsg, DM MCCG, AOMM
    dt: banana and avocado mask, nexxus emergencee, Shescentit TT&GH, ayurvedic powders, SS RPT
    butters: Jane Carter N&S, Afroveda Curly Custard, Afroveda Cocolatte, Shescentit Gillian, Shescentit Seyani
  • LadyNoaLadyNoa Posts: 320Registered Users
    I loved your videos Shellynot!! Now I finally understand how to clip my hair up LOL i never tried it before because i knew i would mess it up and pull all of my hair out, but im definitely going to try it now as soon as i found some of those clips!! thanks soooo much!!! and my i just say that i LOVE your hair!!!
    Hairtype: 3A/3B
    Co-Wash: Enliven (Raspberry)
    Conditioning: Nubian Heritage Conditioner, Enliven , KCKT
    Leave In: Shea Butter Leave In, Mixed Chicks, (trying) GDLI
    Styling: L'Oreal Invisi FX gel, Blended Cutie Down and Out Styles,Jessicurl RR & CCSS, CK, (trying) Pink Boots & KY(waiting for CK to arrive)
    Currently: Experimenting.
  • rejoicingcurlygirlrejoicingcurlygirl Posts: 654Registered Users
    The videos were GREAT!!!! You and your hair are adorable! I have a question: when derek used the set it free, did he spray it on or spray on his hands and scrunch it in? TIA.
    3A; I have HG products!
    Curl enhancer: Mop-C curl cream
    DT: Deva Heaven in Hair; JC WDT
    Gel: B&A; Arc Angel
    Conditioner: Deva OneC; JC too shea
    Frizz fighters: CK, JCS C&S
    PW: curlynow
  • curlyclaudiacurlyclaudia Posts: 416Registered Users
    You are too cute. that was awesome! Thanks for sharing
    3b, modified CG, short inverted bob living in Central Jersey
    Current faves: no poo, HE Hello Hydration, ck, Shea Moisture, Mixed Chicks
    PW colombia
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlyclaudia%2F" class="Popup

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• sessac81sessac81 Posts: 690Registered Users
    Thanks for the video :blob7: . I cant wait to try clipping that way. Your hair looks great, BTW.
    :) Vanessa :)
    CG since 9/2007
    medium texture; slightly porous

Currently loving:
    anything from CJ, KBB Luscious Locks Hair Mask, Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    :cheers: Thanks shellynot for the great videos. After watching, I couldn't wait to try your techniques! I successfully figured out your clipping method. To save my life I just could not understand any of the clipping methods from the Curly Girl book. I also used your method of diffusing in a downward direction instead of upside down (better for my stiff back as well) :toothy7:

I am currently air-drying the rest of the way and will let you know the final result later today. Again thanks for your generous help. Your cut is fabulous and you have gorgeous hair!!!

btw: The [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Greg-Juice-p-190.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-greg-juice-nourishing-herbal-leavein]greg juice[/buylink] you used, do you think it would be good to use on my 2c wavy with some spirals? My hair is medium thick, but can be prone to becoming over conditioned.

Thanks for your help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hockeymomof3hockeymomof3 Posts: 2,159Registered Users
    Great videos!! Thanks for posting!
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Conditioner - One Condition
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

Looking to try Devacurl Decadence line next! Can't wait to try it.
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    Your videos are wonderful - Good Job!! The clipping method looks so much easier than what I've been doing. I can't wait to try it! Thanks!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WiggilyhairWiggilyhair Posts: 779Registered Users
    Thanks! I think I learned more than the other "professional" curl videos I've watched!

Two questions- In the 2nd video, when you put in the clips, did you put them at the base of the loop or more in the middle of the loop itself?

Also, in the 1st video did you put in the Innersense first and then the mix of leave-in plus gel? Thanks!
  • curlsgirlbrazilcurlsgirlbrazil Posts: 234Registered Users
    Great videos!! Thanks for posting!:blob7:
    :thumright::love1:
    3b/a

I like my microfiber towel and plopping

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fclubedoscachos.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    No comb,blow-fried, sulfates,silicones detangle Only the [/SIZE]fingers!!
  • shellynotshellynot Posts: 1,140Registered Users
    Thanks for all the positive feedback! I am loving my hair right now so i really wanted to share to see if the techniques could help out anyone else :)
    I have a question: when derek used the set it free, did he spray it on or spray on his hands and scrunch it in? TIA.

Nope, he sprayed it directly onto my hair. I think he probably used 3-4 sprays.
    misspam wrote:
    The [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Greg-Juice-p-190.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-greg-juice-nourishing-herbal-leavein]greg juice[/buylink] you used, do you think it would be good to use on my 2c wavy with some spirals? My hair is medium thick, but can be prone to becoming over conditioned.
    I think [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Greg-Juice-p-190.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-greg-juice-nourishing-herbal-leavein]greg juice[/buylink] would be perfect for just about any hair type. It is oil free, so it won't weigh you down. I don't think it would make you overconditioned either, but you probably would only need to use a few sprays.
    Two questions- In the 2nd video, when you put in the clips, did you put them at the base of the loop or more in the middle of the loop itself?

Also, in the 1st video did you put in the Innersense first and then the mix of leave-in plus gel? Thanks!
    1. Ok, if you think of hair as a series of S's, then i push up the hair so that the top part of the S is the loop, and the clip anywhere between the top and bottom part of the S. This actually points to the right spot on the curve: S<.
    2. Yes, i used the innersense first. I actually started a video putting the QCCC in, but then my MOM interrupted me haha. So i had to start a new one!
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

• HarleyCurlHarleyCurl Posts: 256Registered Users
    Another great big thank you! Thanks Shelly!
  • ChrysovyiChrysovyi Posts: 110Registered Users
    Great videos! Thanks so much for doing them and sharing that clipping technique. I'm going to try that tomorrow, and the mixing leave-in and gel. Your hair looks lovely - how long is your shortest layer now (and sorry if you've already answered this somewhere!)?
  • PriscillaPriscilla Posts: 278Registered Users
    Your videos are great! Thanks for posting them.
    Grace sets apart Christianity from all other religions.

No other religion offers God's love and redemption coming to us free of charge, as a gift, with no strings attached, no performance required, no standard to meet.

Only Christianity dares to make God's love unconditional.

(Whelchel)
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Hi Shellynot,

Just wanted to post an update. After following your clipping and diffusing techniques I have to tell you I am very happy with the results! The clipping technique was very easy and despite a couple of wonky crimps due to operator error (me), I cannot believe all the volume on the top I was able to achieve. :blob7:

thank you, thank you, thank you
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZigaZagaZigaZaga Posts: 473Registered Users
    Interesting! I enjoyed watching your videos very much! You go girl!

Ziggy
    -3A?
    -Fine, ii (almost iii) thickness
    -salon pintura and natural sun-made highlights combo
    -CG since October 2007, rare occasional low poo.
    -Growing it out
    click here for fotki pics
    -pw: ziggy
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users
    I just did everything you did, shellynot. I even sprayed a little Set It Free on my hair, which is a product I thought I'd decided was useless. I clipped as you instructed, even though I thought for sure I'd end up with weird lumps. I expected that using the Innersense QCCC would weigh me down.

And the verdict is: my hair looks great today! That clipping method *does* work. The Set It Free has given my hair some good hold -- I'm prone to flyaways and I'm thinking this stuff might be the concoction I've been needing (I just didn't know how to use it before). I probably could have skipped the Innersense in the beginning (hair is a wee bit heavy) but that's just me and my preference for big hair. :)

THANK YOU!
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fjillipoo.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • ringletmama2ringletmama2 Posts: 321Registered Users
    Oh wow! THANK YOU! I wish I had time to jump in the shower and start all over again to try the clipping method. Like you said, I also tried so many methods of clipping the hair and it just never worked. This makes sense and it doesn't look like the hair can get tangled. Thanks for taking the time to do this and share with everyone!!:blob7:
    3B: very thick, fine, easily weighed down by products

Current styling products:
    Biolage Gelee or BRHG on top of
    KCKT as a leave in or CK when humid
    or just Joiwhip alone for moderate weather conditions
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,571Registered Users
    Great videos, shellynot! :D Thank you for posting them. I'm going to try this new clipping method next time. That may be just what I need to get volume back in my crown; it's been getting too heavy and flat now that it's getting so long.

Like jillipoo and misspam, I'm a little afraid of weird parts sticking up, but I'll give it a try anyway. Of course, with the weight now, it would probably be OK and pull out the loops enough anyway.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • curlywurly271curlywurly271 Posts: 286Registered Users
    wow thanks so much for making these videos! for some reason clipping is the one thing i can never get the hang of - my roots always end up looking flat and weird looking (well i think so anyway). can't wait to try this method out tomorrow :)
    UK curly :occasion8:

event.png
    misspam and jillipoo--i'm so glad you got good results!!!:cheers:

Chrysovyi- my shortest layer on the very top pulled straight is probably about 5-6 inches long.
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

• WiggilyhairWiggilyhair Posts: 779Registered Users
    Ok everyone, are we going to call this the "Curl Love clipping method" or the "Shelly Not" clipping method"? :toothy7:

Either way, this will go down in NC history! Great method-thanks so much for sharing! :blob7:

BTW: Both you and your hair are so pretty! My teen son saw me watching your videos and thought so too!
  • Brooke789Brooke789 Posts: 415Registered Users
    Anyone diffuse with the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-DevaFuser-Kit-p-913.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devafuser]DevaFuser[/buylink] using this clipping method? I never know if I'm supposed to have the clips in while I diffuse or not.

Actually, I was plopping when I saw this thread and watched the videos, so I went and clipped my hair, but I think I'm just going to let it air dry because I wasn't really planning to style it.
  • scarriecarriescarriecarrie Posts: 382Registered Users
    Shellynot, thank you so much for your very helpful videos! You & your hair are gorgeous! I can't wait to try your clipping method tomorrow!
    Mostly 3A/Some 3B Thick/Dry/Colored/SL
    Loving natural products. Some of my favorites are:
    MHC Scalp Cleanser, Donna Marie Miracurl Gelly, Robert Craig Conditionerloveshower.gif
  • waterlily716waterlily716 Posts: 781Registered Users
    Great videos, and I love your hair. :) I have some small butterfly clips but I stopped clipping a while ago. This method may work though. I saw the Deva clips at ULTA, but can you find duckbill clips at a drugstore? Also does anyone plop with the clips on?
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    3a/b low to normal porosity curls
    CG method since 2006 @:-)
    CO wash: suave naturals coconut
    rinse out CO: GVP conditioning balm
    stylers: KCNT, CK, jessicurl spiralicious
    @waterlily716 on YouTube, FB, & Twitter
    Blog: Curls and Blossoms

• hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,409Registered Users
    Great videos, Shellynot, thanks for sharing. Here's my questions:

Does that blowdryer blow your hair around at all? Do you like that dryer? Would you buy another when it goes?
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
    whimaway- i got my clips at target. it was $3 for 12 clips.

hmkenny- i like my blowdryer. i don't feel like it blows my hair around all that much. There is a low setting too, that definietly doesn't blow my hair around. I like it but i don't love it. It has its flaws. If i were on the same budget that i was when i bought it (and i am) i probably would just get a cheaper conair one that comes with a diffuser probably ($10 savings that way).
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

• rejoicingcurlygirlrejoicingcurlygirl Posts: 654Registered Users
    The Shellynot styling system ROCKS!!!!!! I followed the routine on your videos today.

Now i was skeptical because i usually spend a HUGE amount of time upside down (so much so that my dh is always telling me i am going to pass out) I usually scrunch my products in upside down, plop, diffuse upside down, i thought i needed to do that to get curl formation..... but I WAS WRONG! I didn't have the products you used but i mixed my CK and Mop-C and followed your routine and my curls came out great. Thanks!

btw - I ordered [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Greg-Juice-p-190.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-greg-juice-nourishing-herbal-leavein]greg juice[/buylink] today :toothy7:
    3A; I have HG products!
    Curl enhancer: Mop-C curl cream
    DT: Deva Heaven in Hair; JC WDT
    Gel: B&A; Arc Angel
    Conditioner: Deva OneC; JC too shea
    Frizz fighters: CK, JCS C&S
    PW: curlynow
  • lapushkalapushka Posts: 601Registered Users
    Great videos! Thanks.

Your hair looks amazing!!!