Questions about getting starting the CG process

laharnedlaharned Posts: 10Registered Users
I started CG this week, but since I was putting -cones in my hair should I have washed one last time before starting CG? Also, will ones hair feel greasy when you are using conditioner to go shampoo free? If so does this go away? Also how often should I clarify with lemon (or how often can I clarify with lemon)? My hair feel softer than the straw I had before but I am not sure about this greasy feeling. I am assuming I just need to adjust to the process.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am trying not to fall off the wagon when I just started. :smile:

Comments

• jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    laharned wrote: »
    I started CG this week, but since I was putting -cones in my hair should I have washed one last time before starting CG? Also, will ones hair feel greasy when you are using conditioner to go shampoo free? If so does this go away? Also how often should I clarify with lemon (or how often can I clarify with lemon)? My hair feel softer than the straw I had before but I am not sure about this greasy feeling. I am assuming I just need to adjust to the process.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am trying not to fall off the wagon when I just started. :smile:

Yes, it's always wise to start with a fresh slate when you go CG, which means that you ought be abolish those nasty silicones from your hair so you can start giving it moisture. You don't necessarily need a shampoo to do this, although that's easiest. Clarifying with lemon will accomplish the same thing. Starting CG without clarifying first is likely to result in oil from conditioner just laying on your hair and making it feel greasy -- the silicones may be coating your hair so much, the conditioner can't get in to do its job.

If you have clarified and still feel greasy, it may be for any one of the following reasons:
    1. You are a wavy and need to shampoo more than a curly does
    2. You aren't rinsing out enough of the conditioner
    3. The conditioner is too rich for your hair
    4. You're going through an adjustment period. Some curlies find that their hair needs a few weeks to achieve some equilibrium after going CG.

Good luck!
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    Agreed with everything jillipoo just said, and one more thing that helps me if I find I get too much conditioning going on:

The vinegar rinse. A wee splash like less than a tablespoon in a pint of water rinsed over the hair, cures a world of ills in the realm of conditioner gone wild.
  • laharnedlaharned Posts: 10Registered Users
    Thanks, I did do the lemon rinse to start, but I was not sure if that would get rid of the -cones or not.

My conditioner is very rich (Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose), could I dilute it down to soften the effect or should I think about changing conditioner.

I think I will try to use less conditioner tomorrow and try to get through the first week. If I feel the need to wash I have the Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose shampoo as well and the ingredients do not "seem" as harsh as others.
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    Lemon juice will not get rid of cones unless they are water soluble. If it could then we wouldn't have such a problem, heh. CG does recommend one last serious shampoo to get rid of them, before you start.

I use AOHR also. If I am careful to spread it thinly enough and not use too much, it's fine. If I am careless and overapply or overuse it somehow, I am in a world of overmoisturization and its weirdness. However, when that happens, vinegar rinse always does fix it instantly.
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Posts: 1,280Registered Users
    I think some people co-wash with a thin cheap conditioner and then condition with a rich conditioner. I have found that works best for me. Plus, I don't feel bad about wasting a cheap conditioner to get enough on my scalp. Be sure to massage your scalp to loosen the oils...or they'll just stay there and build up.
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • laharnedlaharned Posts: 10Registered Users
    Thanks, Thank, Thanks for all your help

I decided to wash my hair today to make sure all the -cones were gone and that I was starting out fresh.

I do not think my hair is wavy, but we will see.

So of course I have a few more questions.

1. When do you use the lemon aid solution vs the baking soda/ ACV process?

2. What is the difference between how effective these two solutions work/perform?

3. How often do you apply the baking soda mixture/ACV or lemon aid? I guess I want to get an idea so that I am not applying these product in excess.

Ok, I think I am ready to give this one more shot. I need to be a CG or get some handle on getting my hair in shape so I can teach my daughter. She has the same Shirley Temple locks I had as a baby, in fact she looks just like me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file