CurlTalk

Yogurt to loosen curls

NaddyNaddy Posts: 57Registered Users
Has anyone tried this? There was a thread over on LHCF - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.longhaircareforum.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D167391" class="Popup

I'm particularly interested in it detangling properties. I may try it tomorrow.
BC - 21/07/08
Transitioning since 23/08/07
Coarse 4a

Comments

• Hairblogger â„¢Hairblogger â„¢ Posts: 564Registered Users
    I know it makes a nice conditioner, but Ithis is the first I've heard of using it for anything else. Couldn't hurt to try, though...:albino:
    'Goddess Hair & Skin Recipe Book' devotee 4life!

Co-Wash: Aubrey O. HoneySuckleRose Cond.
    Poo: 1-2x ~monthly~ w/AO 'poo+Baking Soda
    DT: Honey + any Aubrey Condish
    Leave-Ins: Sheamoisture / RJML Cactus / KBBmilk!

[/COLOR]
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    This was on blackhairmedia too. I have some Greek yogurt; maybe I'll mix a little with my clay.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users
    so can you use yogurt or buttermilk? i think buttermilk might be cheaper.

ok reading that super long thread. it looks like i could use some full fat dannon pretty cheap (if i can find it)... i'm going to try it.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • Curly_DivaCurly_Diva Posts: 151Registered Users
    Naddy wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this? There was a thread over on LHCF - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.longhaircareforum.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D167391" class="Popup

I tried to register on this forum. It says you have to pay an annual fee to post any messages. Is this true?
    BC Feb 2008
    3c, 4a. HE, castor and jojoba oil, acv rinse
  • CheleighCheleigh Posts: 552Registered Users
    I've been using yogurt (full fat Greek) for months as a DC, and it does also make it easier to detangle by loosening the curls a bit. There's no dramatic curl type transformation, nor is is really noticeable to most people, IMO, but I do notice a difference.

It's the single most important new ingredient I added to my routine.
    Natural pics: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpicturetrail.com%2Fshelacious" class="Popup
    pw: kinky
    Hair type: Spongy & kinky texture. Coily & curly strands.
    Cheleigh wrote: »
    I've been using yogurt (full fat Greek) for months as a DC, and it does also make it easier to detangle by loosening the curls a bit. There's no dramatic curl type transformation, nor is is really noticeable to most people, IMO, but I do notice a difference.

It's the single most important new ingredient I added to my routine.

do you use it alone? some of the folks on the lhcf add so much stuff. if plain old yogurt works then i'll try that. i found the big tub of dannon for $2.99. should i mix it w/ a cheapie conditioner?
  • l3monyfr3shl3monyfr3sh Posts: 8Registered Users
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Naddy viewpost.gif
    Has anyone tried this? There was a thread over on LHCF - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.longhaircareforum.com%2Ffor...d.php%3Ft%3D167391" class="Popup

I tried to register on this forum. It says you have to pay an annual fee to post any messages. Is this true?

Yes you have to pay a $5 fee to post and look at their other forums
  • CheleighCheleigh Posts: 552Registered Users
    luvmylocs wrote: »

do you use it alone? some of the folks on the lhcf add so much stuff. if plain old yogurt works then i'll try that. i found the big tub of dannon for $2.99. should i mix it w/ a cheapie conditioner?

I strongly recommend using it with other products. I know a few folks who tried it alone, but complained about the results. You should think of the yogurt as an additional ingredient to your DC, not the DC solely.

I mix the yogurt with whatever DC product I'm using at the time, plus honey, molasses, castor, and olive oil. You only need a heaping tablespoon of yogurt.

Full fat, plain yogurt is best. Greek yogurt is thicker than normal yogurt.
    Natural pics: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpicturetrail.com%2Fshelacious" class="Popup
    pw: kinky
    Hair type: Spongy & kinky texture. Coily & curly strands.
    Cheleigh wrote: »
    luvmylocs wrote: »

I strongly recommend using it with other products. I know a few folks who tried it alone, but complained about the results. You should think of the yogurt as an additional ingredient to your DC, not the DC solely.

I mix the yogurt with whatever DC product I'm using at the time, plus honey, molasses, castor, and olive oil. You only need a heaping tablespoon of yogurt.

Full fat, plain yogurt is best. Greek yogurt is thicker than normal yogurt.

thanks...i will add the other stuff. for now i have the dannon full fat. greek yogurt is expensive for putting in my hair but i love f-a-g-e to eat. it just seemed like from that thread to get the loosen effects you needed a LOT of yogurt.
  • NaddyNaddy Posts: 57Registered Users
    I tried it yesterday as a pre-poo. I mixed the greek yoghurt with red clay, lime juice, honey powder and conditioner. I left it on for about an hour. When I rinsed my hair felt very soft. I can't say I've notice a difference in my curls, but it has been easier to detangle than usual.
    BC - 21/07/08
    Transitioning since 23/08/07
    Coarse 4a
    okay i tried this last night w/ full fat dannon yogurt. i mixed in some generic matrix biolage conditioner, honey, olive oil and yogurt (3 really big big spoonfuls) and for me YES it made a difference!! my hair was definitely looser and not as packed. the softness was nice too. i thought the yogurt would smell but it didn't. i'm definitely going to keep the yogurt in the mix. i did keep the conditioner in for over an hour with no heat as the girls on the other site suggested.
  • TroDousTroDous Posts: 241Registered Users
    I tried this a couple of weeks ago. My hair felt softer but i can't say it loosened my curls at all. The next time i went to detangle it behaved the same. I think it may have strengthened my hair though because I didn't really shed as much the week after. I'm gonna try it again for that reason.
    Coily, springy, major shrinkage!
    TroDous wrote: »
    I tried this a couple of weeks ago. My hair felt softer but i can't say it loosened my curls at all. The next time i went to detangle it behaved the same. I think it may have strengthened my hair though because I didn't really shed as much the week after. I'm gonna try it again for that reason.

hey there! your hair is pretty long. mine is shorter so i noticed a difference. how much did you use? i was very generous with it. i had a lot of yogurt and conditioner (as the base) and then only needed to add a small amount of honey and olive oil. i think next time i try i'm going to use a little more olive oil. i totally agree there's less shedding when i sort of finger combed this morning....nothing!!
  • TroDousTroDous Posts: 241Registered Users
    Hey luvmylocs, I thought i was generous, i used about 1/4 cup of yogurt and the same amt of conditioner. I added molasses and oil too. i'm trying again and i'm gonna leave it overnight, i'm starting to shed more again. It's a good treatment overall, i think it helps to combat dryness which i have a lot of these days.
    Coily, springy, major shrinkage!
  • GlammourGirlGlammourGirl Posts: 131Registered Users
    I tried the yogurt too, and it does seem to make a difference. I used 2 heaping tablespoons of yogurt with AO Jojoba & Aloe conditioner, honey, molasses, and castor oil. My hair seems a little bit looser than normal, it's softer, and has a little more sheen. My hair is too thick and hard to manage, and it made it easier to work with. I'll definitely keep this as part of my DC.
  • megaboomegaboo Posts: 77Registered Users
    I don 't have any plain yogurt... but I do have some Yoplait Thick N Cremey Vanilla flavored... would that be all right to use... or would I be better off getting full fat plain yogurt? I don't think I've ever seen any plain yogurt before. I was thinking of leaving it on as an overnight treatment.
    CG since October 20th, 2009
    co.wash: suave coconut, vo5 vanilla mint tea, vo5 strawberries n' creme,
    low-poo: Giovanni 50/50, deva no-poo
    condish: suave coconut
    leave-in: suave coconut, giovanni leave in
    stylers: HE tousle me softly mousse & gel

curls n creme: my transition to cg, experiments, and product reviews
    my fotki: pinacurlada

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmacbookplease.com" class="Popup
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    I used the coconut cream relaxer (which is mostly yogurt) and it didn't loosen my hair that I could see. It did do a hellova job moisturizing it. 2tbs coconut cream concentrate (not the sweet Coco Lopez stuff, I got mine from Tropical Traditions) 2 tbs of coconut oil, and a thing of yogurt. I use the F-a-g-e cause it's what I eat.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • NayaNaya Posts: 922Registered Users
    Has anyone from here gone ahead and tried this? If so, what were your results?
    BC: May 2008
    Hair Type:
    3C/4A mix I think
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmembers.fotki.com%2FRizadaMinicana" class="Popup
    Not Updated D:

Vegan-ish

s-event.png
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,782Registered Users
    When I was in Germany, I noticed that many of the conditioners had yogurt in them...I wonder if it was included because of its detangling properties.
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
    This list is not exhaustive...:happy3:
    CoWash: various
    DT: various

Leave-in
    : CR L/I Collection, various
    Stylers:MC Leave-in, Gorilla Snot
    Spritz/Sealant:Nu-Gro spray w/moisturizer
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,782Registered Users
    I also wonder if the combination of yogurt, buttermilk and lime juice in the DT combined with heat will give the loosened pattern that people are looking for? Has anyone tried it?
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
    This list is not exhaustive...:happy3:
    CoWash: various
    DT: various

Leave-in
    : CR L/I Collection, various
    Stylers:MC Leave-in, Gorilla Snot
    Spritz/Sealant:Nu-Gro spray w/moisturizer
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    Great avatar, megaboo!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • AGrlCanMACAGrlCanMAC Posts: 157Registered Users
    i used the coconut cream natural relaxer recipe, which yogurt as one of the ingredients. it didn't loosen my curls but i think that's because i used way more coconut oil and coconut cream than most do and not enough yogurt (only 2 heaping tbsp). while it didn't loosen my curls it def defined them a lot and left my hair feeling soft and strengthened at the same time.

this is def a staple treatment for me. if it never loosens my curl pattern, i will love it for the definition and softness it gives my hair. plus it's cheap, easy to use, and effective.
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users
    I used yogurt last night. :wav:

I mixed it 50:50 with my regular conditioner. First, I did a regular co-wash, 2nd go 'round was my 50:50 mix. It was super creamy (but cold). My hair felt very soft and even thicker or more full when touched with my hands afterwards. I was not attempting to loosen curls tho, bcz I am just starting to get a little bit :lol: I love to eat yogurt and always have it on hand so thought what the heck.

I will definitely do this again. :happy7:
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
    Naddy wrote: »

Yes, it works. Yoghurt adds elongation (less shrinkage) and very nice curl definition.
    From my experience, the plain 0% fat yoghurt works best for this purpose. It's best to apply strand by strand, put on a plastic shower cap, leave it on for about and hour and half, and then wash it out with cool water only, without combing.
    It doesn't do much for detangling though, so it's better if used on detangled/combed hair.
    I hope this helps
  • sobecurlsobecurl Posts: 313Registered Users
    Sometimes I get so torn about posts like this and these different product ideas to "loosen curls". Some of us go through such a personal journey of hair acceptance and I feel like these different hair concoctions are only but a few steps away from the relaxers and the ideas that we have to alter our hair for it to be acceptable.

I am in no way judging as each person has to do what is best for them, but sometimes I feel disappointed that we still subscribe to the idea that looser curls are somehow better, prettier, more managable. If this works as a great conditioner/detangler, I'm all for it, but to use it for loosening your curl. I'll pass.
    Over 10 years natural and still growing...
  • Sandy CoilsSandy Coils Posts: 662Registered Users
    That crap didn't work for me. it made my hair sa dang dry!!!! I hated it. It took about 2 - 3 co-washes for me to get my hair back in shape. I have to stop being adventurous and start sticking to what I know works for my hair.
    My Fotki

My Blog - A Day in the Life

Products:
    EVOO
    HEHH
    TresEmme Curl Moisture Conditioner
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Let's Jam

Hair Type: Kinky Coily

[SIGPIC]Me[/SIGPIC]
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users
    Let me tell you, yogurt loooks sooo cool to slather on your head. Im telling you that creamy , thickness just calls you to slather it on your head

Well sugah honey ice tea, thats some protein right there!!!! I used it in my henna one time because it does read on the package to add curds to it. LOLOL Henna already loosens my hair I had to deep condition TWICE in one week to get my hair to feel better.

Now it stopped my breakage but I will stick to regular henna with no additional protein added in.
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users
    I've been doing a yogurt DT for yrs and its never elongated me. I leave it 45 mins to an hour. It is very nourishing though and a nice light PT too..also helps with scalp conditions.
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • saharasahara Posts: 149Registered Users
    sobecurl wrote: »
    Sometimes I get so torn about posts like this and these different product ideas to "loosen curls". Some of us go through such a personal journey of hair acceptance and I feel like these different hair concoctions are only but a few steps away from the relaxers and the ideas that we have to alter our hair for it to be acceptable.

I am in no way judging as each person has to do what is best for them, but sometimes I feel disappointed that we still subscribe to the idea that looser curls are somehow better, prettier, more managable. If this works as a great conditioner/detangler, I'm all for it, but to use it for loosening your curl. I'll pass.

I'm with you!:afro:
  • dixygirldixygirl Posts: 279Banned Users
    i use yogurt,honey & olive oil pre cowash at least twice/month. I also add Bragg liquid aminos to it which makes it like a modified Cherry Lola treatment.Natural hair Journey- Cherry Lola Treament part one - YouTube
    btw I love my curls! But I like them pretty & frizz free
    3b/c, 2c at nape, fine, norm-hi porosity, low density, biracial, BSL
    Conditioner:Kanechom, Silicon Mix. Hello Hydration. ApHogee 2min
    Co-Wash: $ store cond
    Prepoo: combinations of:yogurt, liquid aminos, honey,mustard oil, egg,red palm oil,coconut milk
    Leave in Products: Silicon Mix Proteina de Perla LI, coconut milk, coconut oil, olive oil, or mustard oil
    Naturally curly color treated
    Fan of www.tightlycurly.com "Curly Like Me"