CurlTalk

Hair Pins

I was at CVS and searching for black bobby pins when I found a hundred pack of black hair pins. I grabbed it and it wasn't until I got home that I realized that these are different from bobby pins. Anyone know how to use them?

Comments

• marinacurlzmarinacurlz Posts: 1,720Registered Users
    Is it those kind that that witch in the old bugs bunny cartoons use to leave behind after she cackled and flew off? Kind of U shaped with little kind of kinks on the side?
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FTLGuerrero%2F" class="Popup

password: curly

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
    Average porosity

Crazy-picky hair; likes some oils and proteins, but not others, can tolerate some glycerin.

Current products-
    Co-wash: Suave/Vo5/TJ Refresh
    Rinse out & Leave in: Suave Tropical Coconut/Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Gel: Herbal Essences Set Me Up/Aussie Tizz No Frizz
  • HarleyCurlHarleyCurl Posts: 256Registered Users
    Not positive but I think hair pins are used in more "teased" hairstyle. Sorta to hold the fluff in place. But hey...we all have fluff! LOL I think it's more for teased fluff though.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    Yeah, hairpins are for updos. They have a very specific purpose in anchoring the updo once it's all in place.

I never really knew what they were for until I got a tutorial from a stylist in order to do my friend's updo for her wedding.

You probably won't find them very useful unless you do a lot of formal updos. :wink:
  • shellynotshellynot Posts: 1,140Registered Users
    Is it those kind that that witch in the old bugs bunny cartoons use to leave behind after she cackled and flew off? Kind of U shaped with little kind of kinks on the side?

LOL i used to watch a cartoon with her every year for halloween. My sisters use to say i was like her because i always had bobby pins ALL over my room! :compress:
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

"Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

• lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users

Oh that's a good cartoon! :lol:
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users
    I use them if I pull my hair into a ponytail and don't want the ends sticking wildly about. You can make it look like a fancy updo without it being complicated. I pull my hair into a ponytail (usually at the nape of my neck, but it varies), then take pieces of hair and randomly securing it around the ponytail holder with the hair pins. Looks fantastic and it's really my lazy day hairstyle!

• marinacurlzmarinacurlz Posts: 1,720Registered Users
    I know, my Mom always loved to watch that because the way she cackled and took off and the pins would be flying.:tongue5:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FTLGuerrero%2F" class="Popup

password: curly

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
    Average porosity

Crazy-picky hair; likes some oils and proteins, but not others, can tolerate some glycerin.

Current products-
    Co-wash: Suave/Vo5/TJ Refresh
    Rinse out & Leave in: Suave Tropical Coconut/Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Gel: Herbal Essences Set Me Up/Aussie Tizz No Frizz
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,571Registered Users
    Yes, Witch Hazel! :D I love those cartoons too.

I've used those pins for updos/buns as well.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • CurlyBrunetteGirlCurlyBrunetteGirl Posts: 83Registered Users
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll have to look for bobby pins somewhere else. I'll keep the hair pins around, just in case.