CurlTalk

Yet another bandwagon- Curlformers w/ results...

curlynikkicurlynikki Posts: 2,420Registered Users
Please, keep me off of these other damn hair sites. This is becoming a very unhealthy habit! It doesn't take much to sell me, and if 100s of people are chiming in about the benefits of something new...I want to try it too!!!

So, I'm going to buy the curlformers!!!! Apparently, natural 3s and 4s are getting great results with these.

Here's a youtube vid:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_Qp9lnwjQKw" class="Popup

I'm sold... as usual. It gets the roots straighter than roller-sets and it looks kinda fun. I'm going to get mine tomorrow. :blob7:

You can get them at sally beauty.

have fun!

eta:

here's the other's board link:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.longhaircareforum.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D209203" class="Popup

On the last page, another natural 4 speaks of her wonderful results. I can't wait to try them :D

eta:

I added a few pics of my results. I basically look like Shirely Temple...I'm hoping they'll fall a bit. I'm going to seperate them a bit, and see what I end up with. I can tell you that my hair looks pressed and curled. This would be the perfect first step in a flat-ironing process. I def. rec' them :)

hth

P1120717.jpg

Comments

• mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users
    I saw those Curlformers on the Mane & Chic blog:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmaneandchic.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• curlynikkicurlynikki Posts: 2,420Registered Users
    So, it's almost 9:30 and I have about 25 curlformers in my head!!! I couldn't wait until tomorrow...

I'll let you know how it turns out.

I got a box set of 46.

:D
  • curlycherry28curlycherry28 Posts: 212Registered Users
    Curlynikki I think you are worse than me with the addictions. Be sure to post pics. I need some new styles.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    OMG this is like twist-outs for dummies - exactly what I need!
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    curlynikki wrote: »
    So, it's almost 9:30 and I have about 25 curlformers in my head!!! I couldn't wait until tomorrow...

I got a box set of 46.

Hey curlynikki....were they hard to put in? It looked so complicted in that video and the girl said it's been trial and error for her. How much was the set of 46? Can't wait to see your pics!
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmissmonie%2F" class="Popup - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
  • jsocurleighjsocurleigh Posts: 265Registered Users
    I remember when I first saw these last summer...
    The only thing that saved me from buying was the fact that my hair was so short. Didn't want the "Granny" curls lol

Sally's is expensive, you may be able to find these at a local BSS for much less.

I know Nikki's hair is gonna be fly :thumright:

and LOL@
    OMG this is like twist-outs for dummies - exactly what I need!

Who else is jumping on this... I wanna seeeeee!
    *AVEDA Cosmetology Graduate*
    *DEVA Trained Stylist*

4a*reformed PJ* mixologist*twistologist*extremely hair obsessed
    Twitter/@JayeEllis
  • l3monyfr3shl3monyfr3sh Posts: 8Registered Users
    Your hair is so cute. I have long and narrow ones but I didn't like the results. Did you sit under a dryer or let them air dry? Also did you do them on soaking wet hair?
  • GeminiLeslieGeminiLeslie Posts: 190Registered Users
    soooo cute!!
    Mostly 4a..crazy hair

Currently using: 100% Aloe Vera Gel :), VO5 Conditioners for Co-Washes, Jojoba and Africa's Best Oils, GV Biolage Conditioning Balm :), Cream of Nature Detangling Shampoo, ACV rinses, Herbal Tea Rinses (rarely), Alba Botanica Leave-in

Goal: healthy hair and longer hair

• Kimiee02Kimiee02 Posts: 125Registered Users
    Please, keep me off of these other damn hair sites. This is becoming a very unhealthy habit! It doesn't take much to sell me, and if 100s of people are chiming in about the benefits of something new...I want to try it too!!!

So, I'm going to buy the curlformers!!!! Apparently, natural 3s and 4s are getting great results with these.

Here's a youtube vid:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_Qp9lnwjQKw" class="Popup

I'm sold... as usual. It gets the roots straighter than roller-sets and it looks kinda fun. I'm going to get mine tomorrow. :blob7:

You can get them at sally beauty.

have fun!

eta:

here's the other's board link:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.longhaircareforum.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D209203" class="Popup

On the last page, another natural 4 speaks of her wonderful results. I can't wait to try them :D

eta:

I added a few pics of my results. I basically look like Shirely Temple...I'm hoping they'll fall a bit. I'm going to seperate them a bit, and see what I end up with. I can tell you that my hair looks pressed and curled. This would be the perfect first step in a flat-ironing process. I def. rec' them :)

hth

P1120717.jpg

OMG! Your hair looks absolutely beautiful! When my hair grows up I am going to have to try these! Thanks for the info.
    Natural since 8/01/07
    Mixture of curls -- Modified CG method
    Current Favorite products: Henna, Alma powder, Moist Con by Aussi, EcoStyler Gel, LA Looks #8, Honey, Olive oil,Coconut Oil, SheaMoisture Products, Suave Con.,

*I love Big, Natural, Funky, Curly Hair!*
  • HoneycombHoneycomb Posts: 400Registered Users
    Your results are amazing!!! I am definitely going to jump on this bandwagon because I like the fact that it straightens the roots nicely, unlike the flexirods, the roots are still puffy!!! You go girl!!
    i absolutely love your results pic CN!! i am jumping on the bandwagon too....
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmissmonie%2F" class="Popup - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
    OMG!!!! Your hair looks amazing!!!! Now I want them too!

Speaking of bandwagons... I just received my sulfur in the mail. I was like what the hell? LOL Its yellow and smells and the bottle says not to inhale, something about poison, bla bla bla Good Lord! I'm going to put it on my hair anyway LOL
    - Maria

Gorgeous@ Nikki! Did you air dry? it does looked pressed and curled.

Lol@ stinky hair Maria
    *DEVA Trained Stylist*

Twitter/@JayeEllis

Lol@ stinky hair Maria

Sticks and stones! you'll eat your words when my fart-smelling hair is down to my toes! :tongue5:
    - Maria

Thanks ladies for the kind words!!!

I love it and it was sooooo easy. I've started to roller set my hair plenty of times (key word is started) and NEVER could get past 2 or so. These were very easy to use. It took me about an hour to finish my entire head. I used Jane Carter leave-in and Nourishing Hair Creme and put the rollers in on soaking wet hair. I air-dryed over night (these are NOT fun to sleep in), woke up and pulled them out. It definitely looks like an old school press and curl, lol. I've fluffed it up a bit and I think it looks better now. My fiance loves it!!! This is a great alternative to heat styling. These things got my hair STRAIGHT. The roots are still a tiny bit wavy, but I think I can get them straighter with more practice. This is a must buy!!! Plus, if you don't like them, you can return them :D

hth and thanks again :)

Again, this style took NO heat. Imagine what it could look like if I set it using my bonnet dryer.
    missmonie wrote: »

I got a box set of 46.

Hey curlynikki....were they hard to put in? It looked so complicted in that video and the girl said it's been trial and error for her. How much was the set of 46? Can't wait to see your pics!

Super easy... After I finished the first half of my head (I had to pull several out and start again), I breezed through the second half. You have to get use to using that threading rod and not tangling your hair in the process. After you get use to the rod, you can work on pulling the curler all the way up to the roots. If I can do it, anyone can...believe it. When it comes to hair styling I'm a bit challenged, but this wasn't bad at all.

The kit I bought was 59 (46 rollers and the rod). You can buy seperate rollers in packs, but after doing the math, buying the kit made the most sense to me. I think I will buy some of the wider rollers next time I go to Sally's to get the bigger curl look.
    mariag002 wrote: »

Lol@ stinky hair Maria

Sticks and stones! you'll eat your words when my fart-smelling hair is down to my toes! :tongue5:

:laughing5: the thing is....

you're right!

MissMonie... don't you wanna let me use these on your hair????? :compress: I want to try these so bad but my hair is too short
    *DEVA Trained Stylist*

Twitter/@JayeEllis
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,144Registered Users
    Gawgeous!!!!! :D

Why did I open this thread. My broke behind does NOT need to buy ANYTHING, but yet......I'm intrigued.

Dammit, Nikki! Why'd your hair have to look so damn good?! LOL!

*opens links you posted*
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs211.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb133%2Fshyygirl_2007%2F" class="Popup
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fnaturalurbanista.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2F3yxneol" class="Popup

DC metro area
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    All I can say is wow.. it looks soooo nice. :thumright:

How long does your hair have to be to use these? Mine is about 3.5 or 4 inches long curly, and twice that stretched.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
    MissMonie... don't you wanna let me use these on your hair????? :compress: I want to try these so bad but my hair is too short

ha ha! you know what...I went and bought some today but i didn't buy the whole kit. that would have killed my pocket. so i bought 16 and the hook for $23....and i figure i will do part of my head and if i like it then I'll buy more. not sure if that logic makes sense but it did to me when i was in the store trying to manage two screaming kids and make a decision on what to buy! the bad news is that i lost my car keys in salley's and could not find them and ended up being stranded there for about an hour and a half. i hope these curl formers are worth the drama i went through today!!

comic-p.jpg
  • keke28keke28 Posts: 135Registered Users
    missmonie wrote: »

ha ha! you know what...I went and bought some today but i didn't buy the whole kit. that would have killed my pocket. so i bought 16 and the hook for $23....and i figure i will do part of my head and if i like it then I'll buy more. not sure if that logic makes sense but it did to me when i was in the store trying to manage two screaming kids and make a decision on what to buy! the bad news is that i lost my car keys in salley's and could not find them and ended up being stranded there for about an hour and a half. i hope these curl formers are worth the drama i went through today!!

OMG! Thats terrible that you lost your keys. I hope you like the curl formers too considering all you went through to get them(LOL)! Please post pics when you get the chance so we can see how they look on you.
  • CheleighCheleigh Posts: 552Registered Users
    I bought several packs of the long and narrows last week, but I haven't used them yet. I wanted an alternative to heat straightening. Curlynikki, your is the first I've seen on hair that's "sort of" similar to mine (your curls and texture is looser though). This came out beautifully, and your hair is so straight!

I'm going to do a trial with one pack tomorrow and view the results before I open up the entire set!
    Natural pics: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpicturetrail.com%2Fshelacious" class="Popup
    pw: kinky
    Hair type: Spongy & kinky texture. Coily & curly strands.
  • curlycherry28curlycherry28 Posts: 212Registered Users
    Very nice. I don't know how far I would get with a breast fed ten month old though.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    Curlinikki I didn't think your hair could get any better looking. I was wrong! It looks absolutely amazing. I want to try it. I am super duper challenged and have a short attention span. Do you think I could do it? If you do it again would you post progressive photos of the process?

Speaking of bandwagons... I just received my sulfur in the mail. I was like what the hell? LOL Its yellow and smells and the bottle says not to inhale, something about poison, bla bla bla Good Lord! I'm going to put it on my hair anyway LOL

Is it the pure sulfur and are you making your own mix? I wore gloves, covered my eyes and mouth. Be careful mixing and don't let it disperse into the air.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    alright ladies....so I've curlformed my hair, so we'll see how this turns out. i only bought 16 and if i like it, I'll get one more pack for a total of 24 which should be sufficient to do my whole head. that little hook thing is scary though. i was in a slight depression after i pulled out a 10 strand chunk of hair. :cry: but i suppose it will grow back.

i had to take a timeout and watch the video for the 10th time again as well as the video on the curlformers website. after that....I got the hang of it and I didn't experience any tangles or pulling so I was happy about that. my plan is to flat iron my hair...but I'll take a pic of the curls first. I will update you guys tomorrow!

comic-p.jpg
    Very nice. I don't know how far I would get with a breast fed ten month old though.

you have to do it at night once the baby is in bed. that's my technique!

comic-p.jpg
    Curlinikki I didn't think your hair could get any better looking. I was wrong! It looks absolutely amazing. I want to try it. I am super duper challenged and have a short attention span. Do you think I could do it? If you do it again would you post progressive photos of the process?

Is it the pure sulfur and are you making your own mix? I wore gloves, covered my eyes and mouth. Be careful mixing and don't let it disperse into the air.

I definitely will! I'm planning to do this once a week for a while to give my ends a break from curling up on themselves. This is so cool...finally, a REAL alternative to heat styling. And my SO loooooves it. Everyone's happy :occasion9:

I moisturized my ends last night using the Jane Carter Nourish and Shine, pinned it up and wrapped my head in a satin scarf. I woke up to soft, defined, ringlets :) I think I'll re-do my hair on Sunday night before the work week. I'll take more extensive pics of the process at this time.

And trust me Suburban, if I can do it, you most certainly can. You're talking about the girl who can't frenchbraid, cornroll, flat-twist or roller-set her hair. You'll get pissed off after the first few jam up, but after you get the hang of it, it's kinda fun.

Missmonie, I can't wait to see your results :compress: (especially after everything you went through to buy them) I'm sure your hair will look absolutely fab, as always!!!
  • Curly_DivaCurly_Diva Posts: 151Registered Users
    Looks great! My only concern would be trying to get the roots flat enough. Poofy hair with curls is not a good look.

Is Sally's the only place to get them?

According to the video, she said it's best to get the long ones. Do they come in different diameters?...if so which is the best size?
    BC Feb 2008
    3c, 4a. HE, castor and jojoba oil, acv rinse
    O.k. ladies....so I took out the curlformers and all in all....I liked it. Next time, I gotta do smaller sections and get it closer to the root. Just like Curlynikki, I got the hang at putting them in once I got to the second side of my head....but I didn't feel like redoing the first half so those did not come out so good.

I took a few pics of some of the spirals that looked decent. I love how soft and smooth they came out. I was amazed because I didn't think it would really work. I flat ironed my hair and it came out pretty good. Looking forward to trying this again. I think I will wear the spirals next time and skip the heat of the flat iron!!

Thanks so much Curlynikki for starting this thread!! :)

By the way...I have good news! Salley's called me today and said they found my keys on a shelf behind the products. Apparently, my rambunctious toddler hid them there. So I get to go back there today and pick up my keys and more curlformers! Yay!

Pics are in my fotki...

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmissmonie%2Fmonthly-progress%2Fmarch-2008%2F" class="Popup

comic-p.jpg
    Wow your hair looks so perdy! I can see how you would need a lot of curlformers to get the right look. Miss Monie, I think that the flatironed hair looked bouncy and really beautiful. I think its also a great alternative to rollersetting and/or the press and curl.

One question:
    Did you guys air dry or go under the hooded dryer?
    - Maria