CurlTalk

10 Day Detox Challenge??

curlynikkicurlynikki Posts: 2,420Registered Users
Hi Ladies,

This morning, I spoke with my mother who has literally worked out everyday since I was 6. She is an exercise instructor and avid health nut. She, her personal trainer (he's a nutritionist as well) and her 10 work-out students have signed a contract to participate in a 10 day detox regimine. Everyone is doing it for different reasons, but most are doing it to stimulate weight loss and to purify their bodies.

I've read a ton about detoxing in the past and I've always been interested. I heard that your vitamin supplements (or vitamins and trace minerals you get from your food) don't absorb well, with all those years of gunk and impurities in your system. I've recently started taking my multi and biotin on a regular schedule again, and I want to get my money's worth!

The system her nutritionist is suggesting is:
1. Fresh Berries (of all types)
2. Fresh Veggies (specifically leafy green ones, broccoli, carrots, etc.)
3. Almonds (protein)
4. Water, Water, Water (74oz of water)

He does this once or twice a month (eating as much of the stuff as he wants) and he looks AMAZING. Seriously, lol. He's 49 with the body and skin of a 25 year old.

He allows people to make their adjustments here and there. For example, my mother will lightly steam her veggies (her stomach can't tolerate it), and incorporate a cup of oatmeal in the morning.

I'm in...but I'm adding vinagarette (for the dry a$$ salad) and a light dip for the veggies. I'm also going to throw in some yogurt here and there.

Anybody else in??

He said that if you stick to this plan, you'll be looking at a serious jump start to weight loss endeavors and a healthier body and state of mind.

I'm starting next Monday (3/13/08 ) ...anyone else interested?? I need moral support, lol...I don't want to end up at BK...as usual. It'll be a challenge, but I'm up for it.

FYI:/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Faltmedicine.about.com%2Fcs%2Fdietarytherapy%2Fa%2FDetoxBasics.htm" class="Popup

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Thanks for sharing! I am in. Detox for the body, but not weight loss. I am already slightly underweight for my height. Can you ask your mom or the dude how I can participate in this program without getting all washed out and famished, I have low iron.
  • jcurladyjcurlady Posts: 626Registered Users
    Wow! I'm game. This beats the heck out of the master cleanser. Blueberries are in season right now. I've really been trying to lose 10lbs. I don't have a problem maintaining my weight. I just can't seem to lose lately. I am 31.
    if luvin KCKT and KCCC is wrong I don't wanna b right

sell crazy somewhere else...we're all stocked up here.
  • curlynikkicurlynikki Posts: 2,420Registered Users
    jcurlady wrote: »
    Wow! I'm game. This beats the heck out of the master cleanser. Blueberries are in season right now. I've really been trying to lose 10lbs. I don't have a problem maintaining my weight. I just can't seem to lose lately. I am 31.

You're the age of most of the ladies in my mother's class. They're all trying to lose between 10 and 15 pounds (you'll notice the most difference in your hips, lower stomach and thighs, according to him)...the personal trainer/nutritionist said that this WILL work, if you stick to it. He told everyone that the first 2 days will be the hardest...you'll be irritable and might get a headache (withdrawal from caffeine). If you can get through the first couple of days, he said it'll be a piece of cake and you'll want to do it once a month. I'm excited :blob7::blob7:
  • keke28keke28 Posts: 135Registered Users
    Alright, so I am 4 months post baby and I really need to lose this baby weight! So I am absolutely in....I think I can do this. Is their a sample menu or something I can view to get meal ideas?
    YAY!!! Let's do this ladies :blob7::blob7:

Congrats on the new baby keke!
    I called my mother and she was told that the items mentioned above may be consumed all day, without limitations. It's kinda hard to make a menu out of it...but you can definitely add things as you see fit. He's really strict about ONLY berries...I looooooove red grapes and kiwi and he said that those are not allowed for some reason. I found a couple of sample detox menus, but I'm sticking to the list of foods above.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shareguide.com%2Fdetox.html" class="Popup
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dietforum.com%2F21-day-detox-diet.htm" class="Popup

I'm doing berries, leafy greens (and brocolli and carrots), water and almonds. I'm going to add in yogurt too. By the way, he stated that the water should be warm-room temperature (not too cold).

I'm so excited!!:toothy7:
    curlynikki wrote: »
    YAY!!! Let's do this ladies :blob7::blob7:

Congrats on the new baby keke!
    I called my mother and she was told that the items mentioned above may be consumed all day, without limitations. It's kinda hard to make a menu out of it...but you can definitely add things as you see fit. He's really strict about ONLY berries...I looooooove red grapes and kiwi and he said that those are not allowed for some reason. I found a couple of sample detox menus, but I'm sticking to the list of foods above.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shareguide.com%2Fdetox.html" class="Popup
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dietforum.com%2F21-day-detox-diet.htm" class="Popup

I'm doing berries, leafy greens (and brocolli and carrots), water and almonds. I'm going to add in yogurt too. By the way, he stated that the water should be warm-room temperature (not too cold).

I'm so excited!!:toothy7:

Thanks for tip because I love cold water! I love grapes as well, but I'm not to familiar with berries, only strawberries. What kinds are good?
  • missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    As I'm reading this...I'm eating Ben and Jerry's Americone Dream ice cream straight from the container and thinking...wow, i need to do this too! Does anyone know if the detox isn't good to do while you're breastfeeding?
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmissmonie%2F" class="Popup - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
    I looooooove rasberries, blackberries and blueberries. I've had goji berry tea, but I've never had a goji berry, lol. Rasberries are by far my fav. I'll definitely be eating strawberries too :)
    missmonie wrote: »
    As I'm reading this...I'm eating Ben and Jerry's Americone Dream ice cream straight from the container and thinking...wow, i need to do this too! Does anyone know if the detox isn't good to do while you're breastfeeding?

I don't think it would be good to do while breastfeeding, but I'm not sure. I believe one of the sites that CurlyNikki has a link to may be able to give you more information.
    missmonie wrote: »

Where the hell did you find Americone dream?!!!!! I looooove it! I'm lactose intolerant, but I deal with the consequences when it comes to my Americone. I can't seem to find it anywhere.
    You're the age of most of the ladies in my mother's class. They're all trying to lose between 10 and 15 pounds (you'll notice the most difference in your hips, lower stomach and thighs, according to him)

Lawd, that's what people say about 50 year olds.

My problem areas are my thighs, lower stomach(which was flat 5 years ago), my hips and my boobs. I would run up and down the street buck naked if I could lose 10 lbs.

• luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users
    i would be open to try this. a few questions...

1 - so the veggies have to be raw?
    2 - is herbal or green tea okay?
    3 - are almonds the only allowable nuts? i'm a little worried about nuts...they can cause gas and make me feel bloated. does he recommend the amount of almonds since that's the only protein allowed. i wonder if i could substitute eggs.
    4 - should i take my regular multi and other vitamins or not?
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • curlycherry28curlycherry28 Posts: 212Registered Users
    Curlynikki I would love to do this, but like missmonie I am breastfeeding and sometimes I have low iron. I would love to cleanse my body of impurities though. I too don't want to lose anymore weight. Any advice.
  • jsocurleighjsocurleigh Posts: 265Registered Users
    Believe it or not... I do at least 30 minutes of cardio everyday. Most days it's more and yet... this body of mine is just a fat storage machine lol.

Aldi sells a frozen bag of mixed rasberries, blueberries and blackberries for around $2. No sugar or preservatives added. I make a smoothie with those, almond butter, soy milk, and 1 banana for breakfast on weekdays.

I guess I could skip all the frills and just do berries :)

Nikki you threw me off with the date... Monday is the 17th. I'll start then!
    *AVEDA Cosmetology Graduate*
    *DEVA Trained Stylist*

4a*reformed PJ* mixologist*twistologist*extremely hair obsessed
    Twitter/@JayeEllis

Where the hell did you find Americone dream?!!!!! I looooove it! I'm lactose intolerant, but I deal with the consequences when it comes to my Americone. I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Girl....this ice cream is so good. I got it from Harris Teeter. Do they have those in your city? Well, they had a BOGO on Ben & Jerry's so of course I stocked up. This is the first time I've had Americone dream and I'm in love. Ice cream is my weakness anyway and I nearly killed the pint today. I'm afraid to look and see how much fat is in the 1/2 cup serving the suggest because I clearly overdid it...

By the way....I'm going to hold off on the detox until I wean this baby which I really need to do soon!
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmissmonie%2F" class="Popup - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
    I gotta get some!! But now is not the time, lol.

As far as detoxing while breastfeeding, I don't think its a good idea. Check out this link:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kellymom.com%2Fnutrition%2Fmom%2Fmom-weightloss.html" class="Popup

I'm going to ask my mom your other questions today.

ttyl!
    I gotta get some!! But now is not the time, lol.

As far as detoxing while breastfeeding, I don't think its a good idea. Check out this link:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kellymom.com%2Fnutrition%2Fmom%2Fmom-weightloss.html" class="Popup

I'm going to ask my mom your other questions today.

ttyl!

thanks for the info curlynikki! O.k. so i will hold off on detoxing until I'm finished breastfeeding....and you will hold off on scouring every grocery score for Americone Dream! Lol.

comic-p.jpg
  • Kimiee02Kimiee02 Posts: 125Registered Users
    Hi Ladies,

This morning, I spoke with my mother who has literally worked out everyday since I was 6. She is an exercise instructor and avid health nut. She, her personal trainer (he's a nutritionist as well) and her 10 work-out students have signed a contract to participate in a 10 day detox regimine. Everyone is doing it for different reasons, but most are doing it to stimulate weight loss and to purify their bodies.

I've read a ton about detoxing in the past and I've always been interested. I heard that your vitamin supplements (or vitamins and trace minerals you get from your food) don't absorb well, with all those years of gunk and impurities in your system. I've recently started taking my multi and biotin on a regular schedule again, and I want to get my money's worth!

The system her nutritionist is suggesting is:
    3. Almonds (protein)

He does this once or twice a month (eating as much of the stuff as he wants) and he looks AMAZING. Seriously, lol. He's 49 with the body and skin of a 25 year old.

He allows people to make their adjustments here and there. For example, my mother will lightly steam her veggies (her stomach can't tolerate it), and incorporate a cup of oatmeal in the morning.

I'm in...but I'm adding vinagarette (for the dry a$$ salad) and a light dip for the veggies. I'm also going to throw in some yogurt here and there.

Anybody else in??

He said that if you stick to this plan, you'll be looking at a serious jump start to weight loss endeavors and a healthier body and state of mind.

I'm starting next Monday (3/13/08 ) ...anyone else interested?? I need moral support, lol...I don't want to end up at BK...as usual. It'll be a challenge, but I'm up for it.

FYI:/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Faltmedicine.about.com%2Fcs%2Fdietarytherapy%2Fa%2FDetoxBasics.htm" class="Popup

I'm in! This is great and good bye toxins! However, I am currently training for a 5k, which is on April 6th. Will it be okay for me to do this diet while I am training?
    Natural since 8/01/07
    Mixture of curls -- Modified CG method
    Current Favorite products: Henna, Alma powder, Moist Con by Aussi, EcoStyler Gel, LA Looks #8, Honey, Olive oil,Coconut Oil, SheaMoisture Products, Suave Con.,

*I love Big, Natural, Funky, Curly Hair!*
  • motherearthamothereartha Posts: 355Registered Users
    i sooo need this!! i did the master cleanse a few years ago..it was so hard but the results were fab..i felt lighter, cleaner, and my cravings diminished. i also did a kale/spinach salad cleanse that had similar results...i'm w/ curlynikki, i need support. otherwise i fall off, off, off...i'm going to wholefoods or trader joes tomorrow for ingredients...
    thick, kinky, nappy, hair w/ dashes of curls
    pw: bearhair
  • bella geebella gee Posts: 88Registered Users
    ahhh Im IN! I eat so much junk....my body NEEDS a detox...Ill starty Monday---and lets keep each other motivated!!! this is gonna be a hard 10 days...let me go make a batch of brownies before monday!
    comic-p.jpg
    **Updated 2.23.09**
  • HoneycombHoneycomb Posts: 400Registered Users
    This sounds pretty good! I'm in, but I might have to lightly steam some of my veggies and add a little sea salt (is that okay), I've been eating a lot of raw fruits and veggies lately, almonds, pecans, and drinking snapple green tea (the one with low sugar), so I should be able to transition to this.
  • Frizzcurls427Frizzcurls427 Posts: 152Registered Users
    I'm in too! It will be hard but I'm going to come in this thread everyday for motivation if I have to....I'm going to go to the Farmer's Market and stock up on some berries and veggies this weekend!
    Lovin' my curly corkscrews!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMusiclova" class="Popup
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fphotobucket.com%2FFrizzcurls427" class="Popup
    www.youtube.com/Frizzcurls427
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Furahautemama.blogspot" class="Popup
    Products: Giovanni Direct Leave In, Paul Mitchell The Conditioner, FOTE 100% aloe vera gel, Eco styler gel (olive oil), coconut oil, olive oil, shea butter,honey
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users
    I might give it a try. Berries and almonds huh? Oh man I'm going to feel like a bird LOL But if I can put smelly sulfur in my hair I can do anything!

I'm in!
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

mariag002 wrote: »
    I might give it a try. Berries and almonds huh? Oh man I'm going to feel like a bird LOL But if I can put smelly sulfur in my hair I can do anything!

I'm in!

LOL! My Boundless Tresses came today, but I wasn't home to sign for it :(

I'm so excited that all of you want to do this!!! I can't wait:D It'll be an interesting 10 days. By the bye, I haven't been to any fast food resturants for a week and a half. I hope to never return. :compress:
  • jsocurleighjsocurleigh Posts: 265Registered Users
    i sooo need this!! i did the master cleanse a few years ago..it was so hard but the results were fab..i felt lighter, cleaner, and my cravings diminished. i also did a kale/spinach salad cleanse that had similar results...i'm w/ curlynikki, i need support. otherwise i fall off, off, off...i'm going to wholefoods or trader joes tomorrow for ingredients...

I used to do the master cleanse too; it was counter productive though because i had NO energy to work out.
    I'm looking forward to this since there is real food involved... just polished a bag of chocolate chip cookies from Trader Joes ( there were only 4-5 left) but now I feel like crap! lol
    *AVEDA Cosmetology Graduate*
    *DEVA Trained Stylist*

4a*reformed PJ* mixologist*twistologist*extremely hair obsessed
    Twitter/@JayeEllis
    mariag002 wrote: »

I'm in!

LOL! My Boundless Tresses came today, but I wasn't home to sign for it :(

I'm so excited that all of you want to do this!!! I can't wait:D It'll be an interesting 10 days. By the bye, I haven't been to any fast food resturants for a week and a half. I hope to never return. :compress:

Why haven't mine came yet? I ordered like 2 weeks ago...:cry:
  • mikosbellemikosbelle Posts: 363Registered Users
    I am down but I need help with my shopping cart list.

I already have almonds, brocolli, carrots, bags of salad, and fresh strawberries.

Anything else you recommend I pick up from the store?

So we are not allowed to eat anything or drink anything other than:
    3. Almonds (protein)

Are we allowed to drink juice? I too will do a cup of oatmeal with brown sugar in the morning as well as add in some yogurt. Is that okay? I also have a daily supplement that I take twice a day, is that okay as well?

Also are we incorporating a fitness regime into this as well?

Last but not least, when we lose some weight over the next ten days, how will we keep it off. I need to lose 10 lbs by May, and could stand to lose another 15lbs after that. I just don't want to yo-yo diet or do something that is unrealistic and that will bring on more weight in the end.

Please someone way in. I just hate to lose this weight and then put it right back on.

Oh and can we drink diet tea while we are on this cleanse program, I love some diet tea!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]4A hair type, looking for healthy hair suggestions and improved styling techniques

my hair pics:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmikosbelle%2F" class="Popup
    no pw needed

Currently experimeting with: MOP TOP :smurf:

My staple product lines are Qhemet, Afroveda, Kinky-Curly, Oyin, and Curl Junkie :D

Favorite combo: Afroveda pur whipped gelly + Kinky-Curly Curling Custard:angel8:
    Last but not least, when we lose some weight over the next ten days, how will we keep it off. I need to lose 10 lbs by May, and could stand to lose another 15lbs after that. I just don't want to yo-yo diet or do something that is unrealistic and that will bring on more weight in the end.

What's on your regular grocery list? It's a hard thing to do and I know, but I changed what I bought at the grocery store. I avoid buying unhealthy snacks. I figure if I don't have them in the house, I won't eat them. And it works as far as me maintaining my weight. I have a piece of cake every now and then, I just don't have it everyday.

HTH

• foxycus02foxycus02 Posts: 918Registered Users
    Sounds like Celebrity fit club Dr Ians cleansing except you are allowed:
    1. 1 cup of oatmeal
    2. 1 cup of brown rice
    3. egg whites
    4. all the fruits & veggies you want

rockin' to the tune of her own beat...

comic-p.jpg
    foxycus02 wrote: »
    Sounds like Celebrity fit club Dr Ians cleansing except you are allowed:
    1. 1 cup of oatmeal
    2. 1 cup of brown rice
    3. egg whites
    4. all the fruits & veggies you want

Well, thats the one I'm doing, lol. I'll do the above (minus the rice) +almonds+yogurt.

I'm going to the farmer's market today :D

Everyone post your 10 day detox program!!!!

Monday is almost here :)