So depressed

HeatherDawnHeatherDawn Registered Users Posts: 300
I suppose the whole thing is my fault. At my trim appointment I mentioned all the damage I was growing out from my highlights last year. I guess she took that to mean get rid of the damage. I am three inches lighter. Sigh.:sad7: From BSL to just under shoulder.
HeatherDawn
2C/3A

Comments

• Rubber BiscuitRubber Biscuit Registered Users Posts: 1,294
    I suppose the whole thing is my fault. At my trim appointment I mentioned all the damage I was growing out from my highlights last year. I guess she took that to mean get rid of the damage. I am three inches lighter. Sigh.:sad7: From BSL to just under shoulder.

aww! that sucks! did your stylist confirm with you how much you were willing to take off before hand??
    - Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
    - Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.
  • HeatherDawnHeatherDawn Registered Users Posts: 300
    Nope. I just said trim. That is always a mistake. I am trying to be cheerful about the whole thing and think of it as a chance to grow it out healthier. :neutral: I just knew that you guys would understand how that much of a "trim" would take so much longer to grow with swirly hair. :angry7:
    HeatherDawn
    2C/3A
  • tmmycattmmycat Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 256
    I totally sympathize....once I went to a stylist and told him "I really like what you did last time, so just trim it..." then he gave me a mullet. :( I was so sad, I couldn't wear my hair down for about a year while it grew out.
    shoulder-length wavy - no shampoo/no cones
    currently experimenting with water-only washing
  • sandi_xosandi_xo Registered Users Posts: 10
    awee that really sucks! i understand how you feel
    atleast it will grow out healthier though!

that has happened to me- i say i want a trim but walk out with short hair. Now I go to the same hairdresser everytime, who knows that if he cuts too much off, I will probably kill him lol. I just get him to snip the split ends off, which he does, and my hair ends up looking healthier but not any shorter! :toothy7:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I'm so sorry too much was cut off. It probably looks really nice and healthy though, but it's still not what you were expecting.

Speckla
  • alwaysaangelalwaysaangel Registered Users Posts: 55
    Awww. Sorry that happened. Yeah while I grew mine out for the past 5 YEARS(!) That happened constantly. You always have to be really specific with stylists and curly hair.

For a while, I said "as little as possible" which they usually translated to 6 inches by the time they cut and layered it.

Finally I would tell them 1/2 inch for trim and then layer it. They would protest that I had more damage than that but by the time they layer it they take more off anyway, so I told them I didn't care. That worked for the most part for me.

I know how aggrevating growing out long hair can be. Eventually you get to the point where you only get it cut 1-2 times per year for fear of losing all your hardwork.

Hope the next cut goes better for you, and like you said on the bright side it is healthier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've learned to tell hairdress "no" and "stop" if I'm not comfortable with what they're cutting or doing.
    I have, on occasion, gotta up and said, "Ok, that's it," and paid for what service was given and left.

Speckla
    Speckla wrote: »
    I've learned to tell hairdress "no" and "stop" if I'm not comfortable with what they're cutting or doing.
    I have, on occasion, gotta up and said, "Ok, that's it," and paid for what service was given and left.

Speckla

Damn!! Brave woman!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Speckla

Damn!! Brave woman!

Tired of wasting money, tears, and my hard earned length. :boxing:
    I view it this way: I'm doing them a favor by giving them my money and time, so why should stylist be the ones to control it?

Speckla

I view it this way: I'm doing them a favor by giving them my money and time, so why should stylist be the ones to control it?

Speckla

No I totally agree with you - I think its awesome. I just would never ever have the guts to say that to a stylist. I can't even tell them I don't like it when they're done. I'm hypersensitive to things like that and I project onto others that they are too so I avoid hurting people's feelings (not that it necessarily would - I'm just crazy like that).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Speckla

No I totally agree with you - I think its awesome. I just would never ever have the guts to say that to a stylist. I can't even tell them I don't like it when they're done. I'm hypersensitive to things like that and I project onto others that they are too so I avoid hurting people's feelings (not that it necessarily would - I'm just crazy like that).

Oh, no no, dearie, you're not crazy like that. That's exactly how I am by nature. I'm a pleaser and I hate to hurt someone's feelings. The first few times I left with my knees knocking together and I nearly went back to apologize. It has not been easy but it gets easier. I'm learning to apply that to other aspects of my life (as long as I'm not rude to anyone, there's a difference between standing up for yourself and being rude and it took me a lot time to separate the two). I've gotten lucky though a found a local hairdresser at JC Penny's who has hair just like mine and she is great. She's working with me to grow out all my damage and let my hair curl to its best. It's 19 for a cut. I go in without product and she cuts it dry and doesn't shampoo or style it because she does exactly what I ask. I leave the salon with my hair looking a mess but it's great once I shampoo and condition it.

Speckla
  • HeatherDawnHeatherDawn Registered Users Posts: 300

Speckla

Oh, no no, dearie, you're not crazy like that. That's exactly how I am by nature. I'm a pleaser and I hate to hurt someone's feelings. The first few times I left with my knees knocking together and I nearly went back to apologize. It has not been easy but it gets easier. I'm learning to apply that to other aspects of my life (as long as I'm not rude to anyone, there's a difference between standing up for yourself and being rude and it took me a lot time to separate the two). I've gotten lucky though a found a local hairdresser at JC Penny's who has hair just like mine and she is great. She's working with me to grow out all my damage and let my hair curl to its best. It's 19 for a cut. I go in without product and she cuts it dry and doesn't shampoo or style it because she does exactly what I ask. I leave the salon with my hair looking a mess but it's great once I shampoo and condition it.

Speckla

Y'all are cracking me up! LOL!

I have been very happy with this hairdresser for about three years? She just doesn't like long hair. Once I get to BSL she has chopped it every time! I just didn't realize it until now. She is younger than me but I think she looks older - she has what I call helmet head. Naughty, I know! I just hate that strait chop it and round brush it at the chin-shoulders hair. She is a curly girl too, but a religious flat ironer.

I got someone fired once, but she chopped my shoulder length hair into a pixie without me asking. Lovely. :laughing7:
    HeatherDawn
    2C/3A
  • mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    I feel your pain. I have actually shed tears after haircuts. There's nothing more frustrating than waiting months and months for your hair to grow, only to have it all disappear when the hairdresser goes scissor happy. I am like Speckla, I tell them exactly how much to cut and I go as far as making them show me exactly how much is being cut. I figure if I am paying them money for a trim then they shouldn't have any say on how much hair to cut. Plus they're not the ones that have to live with a mullet for a year LOL :thumbdown:
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• eweniqueewenique Registered Users Posts: 1,502 Curl Neophyte
    Sounds like you may need to find a different hair dresser! Someone with curly hair. Getting more cut than wanted is such a common experience for us curly girls. :cry: So sorry that it happened to you again. Your hair is still lovely, and it will grow.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • medusahairmedusahair Registered Users Posts: 3,515
    Did you roll up a newspaper and smack her repeatedly over the head?

Man I hate to go to the hairdresser, those traumatizing times just hurt my heart.

Fortuntely it will grow but man do I ever understand
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file