WICKED by Gregory Maguire

PJcurlPJcurl Posts: 71Registered Users
I am just on the first few pages and loving it...anyone read it? Thoughts?
PJ
HG: WEN Sweet Almond
Ojon RT
Oils (jojoba, olive, sapote, carrot)
Kinky curly custard
Blended Beauty (new fave)
I will not chop my hair off in frustration this year. I will not..I promise, no braids, no braids, no chopping.

Comments

• LayaliLayali Posts: 561Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I haven't read Wicked, but it's on my long list of books to read.

I've read Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister and it was FANTASTIC. Very smart, clever, and well-written.
    naturally 3b/3c

Explanation by the tongue makes most things clear, but love unexplained is clearer. ~ Rumi
  • PJcurlPJcurl Posts: 71Registered Users
    sully wrote:

I've read Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister and it was FANTASTIC. Very smart, clever, and well-written.

Same writer? Thanks!
    P
    HG: WEN Sweet Almond
    Ojon RT
    Oils (jojoba, olive, sapote, carrot)
    Kinky curly custard
    Blended Beauty (new fave)
    I will not chop my hair off in frustration this year. I will not..I promise, no braids, no braids, no chopping.
  • LayaliLayali Posts: 561Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    PJcurl wrote:
    sully wrote:

Same writer? Thanks!
    P

Yup.
    naturally 3b/3c

Explanation by the tongue makes most things clear, but love unexplained is clearer. ~ Rumi
  • nubianqt86nubianqt86 Posts: 70Registered Users
    I read the first 100 or so pages, its okay, but i'm not drawn into it. The Step Sisters one sounds good. Might try that next.
  • SmithsGirlSmithsGirl Posts: 100Registered Users
    I loved "Wicked" and read it three times. Very imaginative. Surprisingly political. I've never felt the same way about the Wicked Witch of the West since then. Enjoy!
    "In the days when you were hopeless and poor, I just liked you more."

formerly jodib70
    3a/3b, baby fine; growth goal: bra strap length.
  • MonaMona Posts: 49Registered Users
    Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister was excellent, and I've been dying to read Wicked.

There was another book of his that I wanted to read, but I can't remember for the life of me what it is...

-M
    Long-time Lurker
    2a-2c (3a on the best of days)
    Modified CG
    Shampoo 1-2 times a week, condish with Suave Naturals Coconut, style with Suave gel and Aussie Sprunch Spray
  • lafeistlafeist Posts: 72Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    a friend of mine saw Wicked the play in Chicago and said it was really good. Kinda scary for kids.
    Mostly 3B with some 3C. Faves :Sap Moss co and a weekly Sap Moss shampoo.
  • razicellirazicelli Posts: 139Registered Users
    SmithsGirl wrote:
    I loved "Wicked" and read it three times. Very imaginative. Surprisingly political. I've never felt the same way about the Wicked Witch of the West since then. Enjoy!

I've heard this about Wicked too. I have it now but so are 20 other books I need to get to in my closet. :lol:
    pw: wavehead
    3a/3b, 2b underneath M/Ciii, coarse crown
    HG: CK
    Currently BRHG, SIF
  • ArlsArls Posts: 16Registered Users
    If you like Wicked, try Son of a Witch next. It's the sequel and it's really good.:)
  • JoshGroban'sRockin'CurlsJoshGroban'sRockin'Curls Posts: 54Registered Users
    Is it a book that I would be okay letting my 13 year old sister read or is it more adult content?
    CurlyCarli

Shoot for the moon and even if you miss you'll still be among the stars.
    -Unknown
  • ChrematisaiChrematisai Posts: 85Registered Users
    I would say adult content . . . I'd advise reading a fairly detailed synopsis before deciding.

I thought it was a great book - its so sad, though! Now I'm DYING to see the musical - the music is incredible, even thought the plot apparently deviates from that of the book rather significantly.

Me and my best friend have decided we need to do a duet of "For Good" together - it's so us.
    "A face without freckles is like a night without stars"

~Jenny
  • happy-girlhappy-girl Posts: 208Registered Users
    Finished it 2 nights ago. It was GREAT.
    VERY adult.
    Mid-back length 3a, red.
    Currently using: Joico, Redken, LA Looks Curl Look gel, BRHG.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I tried reading it a few years ago and hated it. I want to try it again in case my tastes have changed. I tried Confessions of a Wicked Stepsister and couldn't really get into it but I think I should give it another try as well.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • Ava79Ava79 Posts: 159Registered Users
    Wicked was good, and Confessions was better, but it think it would be unfair to compare the two. Son of a Witch was BLAH... not at all captiving.
  • CurlyClaireCurlyClaire Posts: 116Registered Users
    I loved both of them. Enjoy!
  • CurlyHead391CurlyHead391 Posts: 11Registered Users
    I've never read about the muscial, but I am obsessed with the musical and hear that the book was nothing like it at all, but other than that I have heard nothing but good things about it! I have yet to check it out!
    ~Christine

Life is too precious to be taken for granted; make the most of the time that you have. You never know when God will decide to take you home.
  • NYCurlyGirlyNYCurlyGirly Posts: 1,012Registered Users
    I liked the book, but it is quite heavy-handed. I could not get through Maguires other books. I ADORE the musical, but they took out a lot of the heavy stuff and the musical is very fluffy and fun!
    "Yo, James, i'm really happy for you, i'm gonna let you finish killing Bella in a minute, but Demetri was one of the best Trackers of ALL time!"

www.myspace.com/mimichica
  • JaxieJaxie Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    I read Confessions and Mirror, Mirror I liked Mirror, Mirrorbetter, but they were both good. Wicked is on my list of books, I think I'm reading it after the book I'm on now and one more. Mirror, Mirror is about Snow White and its by Gregory Maguire too. ~~jax
    2c or 3a Cut most of my hair off in July '12 and am working on regrowing it.
  • MeghuneyMeghuney Posts: 4,263Registered Users
    DarkAngel wrote:
    I tried reading it a few years ago and hated it. I want to try it again in case my tastes have changed. I tried Confessions of a Wicked Stepsister and couldn't really get into it but I think I should give it another try as well.

Exact same for me. Read it a few years ago when I was pregnant and just didn't enjoy it. I may try it now though.
  • keolkeol Posts: 25Registered Users
    I read Wicked first, and wasn't all that thrilled with it. I enjoyed Confessions much, much more.
    Mod CG - Ever Changing
    Shampoo daily - Burts BeesRaspberry & Brazil Nut
    Condition - Suave Coconut w/honey, B&BW Aromatherpy Vanilla Jasmine, Vive Pro Nutri-Gloss
    Leave In - Solar Recovery, Innersense Sweet Spirit
    Gel - Tresseme Sleek, HE Body Envy

Brown Sugar Scrub & ACV Rinse every two weeks
    Deep Condition with Coconut Oil

Give us time to shine, even diamonds start as coal.
  • texascurlytexascurly Posts: 1,967Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I read Wicked a few years ago and liked it. I have Confessions, but haven't read it yet as I'm anticipating it to be another fairly difficult read (as I thought Wicked was). I need to wait until I can really focus and take time to read it.
  • CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Posts: 1,198Registered Users
    I read Wicked a few years ago and need to re-read it. I really enjoyed it - once I got into it. It took me a little while to get captivated by it.

I read Lost by Gregory Maguire and liked it and have Mirror Mirror on my shelf at home. I have yet to read Confessions.

Wicked the musical is a fluffy smattering of the book. It touches on maybe a few of the points of the book but does it in a happy ending way. I did like both the book and musical, but for entirely different reasons.
    3b (I think!)
    HGs - Suave Nexxus Knockoff, Jessicurl Weekly DT, L'Oreal Out of Bed, HESMU.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyGlamourGirlie
    http://curlyglamourgirlie.blogspot.com
  • JaxieJaxie Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    Wicked the musical is a fluffy smattering of the book. It touches on maybe a few of the points of the book but does it in a happy ending way. I did like both the book and musical, but for entirely different reasons.

I'm going to see the show in Sept. and I kind of thought that this is how the show would be. (not neccessarily a bad thing, just something more digestible for the average person, right?)
    2c or 3a Cut most of my hair off in July '12 and am working on regrowing it.
  • RyanneRyanne Posts: 686Registered Users
    I read it. I knew it would be darker than the musical (I love the songs in it!), but loved it :)
    And I really want to read Confessions of an ugly Stepsister.
  • Ela234Ela234 Posts: 139Registered Users
    Yes and I LOVED it!
    "Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing,
    But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised."
    Proverbs 31:30
  • pelicanopelicano Posts: 580Registered Users
    I've not read the book, but am becoming quite obsessed with the musical - have seen it twice within a year (a bit of an expensive habit!) and always have the soundtrack on. :)
    Sarah.

Based in the UK. 2-something (2b?) hair. Very porous, fine and brittle/fragile

Hair loves: Drip drying, glycerine, shea butter, oils
    Hair hates: Plopping, any kind of gel, most conditioners (scalp issues).
  • RyanneRyanne Posts: 686Registered Users
    I bought Confessions of an ugly Stepsister yesterday, together with two other books, and finished it!
  • curlycue82curlycue82 Posts: 92Registered Users
    I have read Wicked and loved it, then I read Confessions, which was awesome, Mirror Mirror was fabulous, Lost was one of my favorites, and Son of a Witch was great and GUESS WHAT - the third in the Wicked series is out - A Lion Among Men, all about the Cowardly Lion!
    YAY

I love Gregory Maguire's books, and I am going to a book signing (driving 6 hours away) to get my copy of Wicked signed!!!! :)

I collect his paperback books, so I have to wait to get the new one - argh.

Got me and my DH tickets to the musical for next month - WAY excited!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file