The role of citizens in government

~915~~915~ Posts: 519Registered Users
I am not actually asking about George Bush. This question applies to all civic governance. What do you believe is the responsibility of a constituent, electorate or citizen? Non-Americans can answer too, of course!

Do you believe in supporting the president and other civic governance no matter what decisions he or she makes? Conversely, do you believe that citizens have a responsibility to criticizing the government, in order to help it make the best decisions possible in the future?
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    You need a both option - support when they are doing the right thing, criticize wrong, shady or unclear decisions.

I have to pick criticize based on the options you presented.

People who support any and all decisions regardless of what they are, and I see many on this board, scare me. They are the antithesis of who I am... my upbringing, values, life experience and education.
  • dia99dia99 Posts: 1,998Registered Users
    I am not actually asking about George Bush. This question applies to all civic governance. What do you believe is the responsibility of a constituent, electorate or citizen? Non-Americans can answer too, of course!

Do you believe in supporting the president and other civic governance no matter what decisions he or she makes? Conversely, do you believe that citizens have a responsibility to criticizing the government, in order to help it make the best decisions possible in the future?

This is kind of like the military argument. I think I will be labeled a hypocrite pretty soon. :?

I feel it is my obligation to respect the office of president. I respect the government our nation has construed that gives the office of president such power. I do not think that I have to like or agree with individual people who hold that office. For instance, I respect Bush's right to make decisions like presidential pardons, or sending us to war. I do not respect the actual decision he made on the war and think he was wrong to lead our country there.

I think it is imperative that we speak out about the things that are wrong, especially through voting, speaking to our congress and representatives, etc. The government is supposed to be a representative body, here in the US. We do not have a dictatorship, so the President, and every other political officer, should be listening to the will of the people, and abiding by the will of the people as much as possible. That includes listening to praise and criticism.
    People rise to the standard expected of them. GC
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    I agree with Cherish and Dia.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,633Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think this is a pretty loaded question. The government was created to serve the common good. The citizens don't serve the government, it's the other way around. So, it's patriotic to question an overreaching government and to hold the government accountable.

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I think this is a pretty loaded question. The government was created to serve the common good. The citizens don't serve the government, it's the other way around. So, it's patriotic to question an overreaching government and to hold the government accountable.

Agree with this totally. The premise of the original post is all backwards. Elected officials exist to represent *my* beliefs; I don't exist to represent theirs.

Christian people are expected to honor elected officials and those in authority...but that is total separate from civic responsibility. The US Constitution affords us with the right to redress gov't and the freedom to conscienciously object, so long as it does no interere with the efficient running of the system or infringe on the rights of others.

But I suspect the original post was simply a rhetorical point?

• mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    gekko422 wrote:
    I agree with Cherish and Dia.
    Me too.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • ~915~~915~ Posts: 519Registered Users
    Oh no, this wasn't a rhetorical question. I agree that it is my responsibility to criticize the governing people, but from what I've been reading on this forum, other people see things differently.

I was hoping to (a) find out what percentage of people on the forum have which point of view and (b) find someone who could explain the point of view that criticism is inappropriate to me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file