RCW converts- progress?

1234568»

Comments

• MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    I just wanted to update again to say that I am doing much, much better using the 5% BHA compared to the 2% version. I guess I just have very stubborn pores and needed the strength of the 5% to do anything.

I've been using the 5% BHA for a little over a week now. My skin is looking fantastic. The other thing I'm doing is using the Vitamin C serum every other morning instead of daily. I have had no new breakouts and my ever-present forehead zit fest is smaller and lesser every day. You kind of have to look close to see anything now.

I've been able to skip foundation altogether for the past three days. I'm now just using concealer under my eyes and on any uneven skin tone spots and a translucent powder to finish. :thumright:

If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
  • CurlyClarinetCurlyClarinet Posts: 1Registered Users
    I'm probably just being blind, but I can't seem to find any samples at PSF... They do have them, right? I'd like to try them before I buy the full size...
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm probably just being blind, but I can't seem to find any samples at PSF... They do have them, right? I'd like to try them before I buy the full size...

You're not blind. They don't list samples for purchase on their website anymore. From what I understand, if you want to try something, just drop them an email and let them know what you want to try and they'll send it to you for free.

On their facebook page, it says you can get 20% off all orders by using the code Facebook20. No expiration date. I think you also have to join their facebook page though.
  • solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Reviving this thread to post my progress! Today a friend asked me about my skin care routine, so I wrote this up for her and figured this is as good as it gets for me. It took about 4 months and lots of trial and error to see an improvement, but I’m happy with the way things are going. My routine is based on RCW's method, Alison79's details of her routine, and some of my own trial and error. Hope this helps someone!

AM routine
    1. Wheat Germ Cleanser with Clarisonic Mia - The Wheat Germ Cleanser gently cleans and balances the skin’s Ph. The Clarisonic is an exfoliator and my skin feels terrific every time I use it. I could use it twice a day but I keep it in the shower and I’m too lazy to get it in the evenings. I keep a little bottle of cleanser in the shower and the pump bottle by the sink.

2. 5% Salicylic Acid - I started with the 2% and am using up that bottle, but I will get 5% next time. To apply, I keep the SA in a 1oz dropper bottle and use about half a dropper full per application. I put the half dropper full in my palm, rub my two palms together and pat all over my face, avoiding the eye area. I put an extra drop on any problem areas if I have them. Some people recommend waiting 30 minutes before applying the Vitamin C, but my skin gets very painfully dry and tight if I wait, so I apply everything one after the other. SA cleans out/exfoliates pores and manages acne. For the first three months, I could only use SA once a day because my skin was too dry, but now my skin can tolerate it twice a day, so see what works for you.

3. Vitamin C – You can buy it ready-made but it’s quite expensive at $45/oz. I make it myself and store it in a 1oz dropper bottle using the following recipe:
    3 teaspoons distilled water (or tap)
    3 teaspoons Hyaluronic Acid (an 8oz bottle will last a very long time)
    3/4 teaspoon l-ascorbic acid (a 4oz container will last a very long time)
    Mix water and l-ascorbic acid in dropper bottle. Shake until l-ascorbic acid is in solution. Add in HA and shake until mixed.
    I apply half a dropper full into my palm, rub my palms together and pat on face, avoiding the eye area. Some people recommend waiting 15 minutes before the next step, but again, my skin gets too painfully dry if I wait.

4. Clinique Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector – one squirt in my palm, applied all over face, avoiding eye area. Supposed to even out skin tone, reducing dark spots and acne scars.

5. Clinique Even Better Tone Correcting Moisturizer with SPF 20 - Supposed to even out skin tone and protects with SPF 20.

PM routine
    1. Wheat Germ Cleanser
    2. SA
    3. Vit C
    4. Clinique Dark Spot Corrector
    5. Hyaluronic Acid + Jojoba Oil as moisturizer –HA is a natural moisturizer and helps spread the jojoba oil. Jojoba closely matches our skin sebum, and is a natural acne fighter as well as a moisturizer. I keep a 1oz dropper bottle of HA and a 1oz. dropper bottle of jojoba for moisturizing. I put one big drop of HA and two little drops of jojoba in my palm, rub between my hands, then rub all over my face. If my eyes are very dry I’ll use an extra drop of jojoba oil. Experiment to find the right number of drops for you – I used a little more oil in the winter when I was very dry. An 8oz bottle of jojoba oil will last a very long time!
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
  • angel29ishangel29ish Posts: 800Registered Users
    Thanks for reviving this thread Solid! I started using PSF at the beginning of Dec. 2010 after reading various threads here and at EDS. This thread has great information and has confirmed I'm on the right track.
    I've been using Vit. C, DMAE, HA (with Emu oil), Pumpkin Enzyme Peel, Dermal Matrix Regenerating Serum and Retin A following RCW's routine. In the past I've always broken out from products, but not with PSF. I'm happy with how soft and smooth my skin is now! The only thing I'm missing is BHA which I will be adding.
    So...thanks again Solid! ...and...thanks RCW for sharing your knowledge!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, fine, low/normal porosity
    CG - July 2009
    CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
    LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
    Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
    Too many others to list!
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What is PSF? There is a link early on in the thread, but it is broken.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • angel29ishangel29ish Posts: 800Registered Users
    pedaheh wrote: »
    What is PSF? There is a link early on in the thread, but it is broken.

PSF = Pure Skin Formulations

Here is a link: Pure Skin Formulations - Advanced Cosmeceutical Skincare

HTH :icon_smile:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, fine, low/normal porosity
    CG - July 2009
    CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
    LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
    Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
    Too many others to list!
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Anyone tried both emu and jojoba oil? If so, which did you end up sticking with and why?

Though I've known for a while that RCW is somewhat of a skincare guru, I didn't know until this thread was revived yesterday that there was an actual routine that so many were using. I've read enough that it convinced me to order the cleanser, DMAE, and hylauronic acid from PSF.

Now I've gotta decide on the oil and get the ingredients for Vit. C serum - although I've been using one on and off, mostly on, for a few years, they're beaucoup bucks, not to mention that every time I find one I like, they either change it and screw it up or discontinue it.

My overall skincare routine has been working pretty well for the past year or so, but I'm hoping all this will work further miracles, LOL! No, really, just hoping to work out a regime that'll help me hold my own since my skin is already pretty good for my age. And if it further helps my rosacea and seborrheic dermatitis, that'll be a bonus. They're already much improved, so maybe this'll make them disappear!

My biggest problem will be overcoming my laziness and falling back on my convenient Equate moist facial towlettes from WalMart, LOL (much better than the name brands, BTW)!
    Walmart.com: Equate With Chamomile, Vitamin E & Triple Tea Complex Facial Cleansing Towelettes 2 pk: Beauty

RCW, Just how bad would these be if I do occasionally fall back on them? I've always figured they were better than not washing my face when I'm about to fall into bed and realize I haven't taken my make-up off . . . parabens and propylene glycol, yes, and glycerine pretty high up the list, but I don't know if anything here is a detergent (unlike glycerin in a lot of face products, I don't mind it in these - they leave my skin feeling nice and moist but not sticky or tacky):

Water, Cetearyl Isononanoate, Ceteareth-20, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Glycerin, Cetyl Palmitate, Ceteareth-12, Propylene Glycol, Chamomilla Recutita (Chamomile Matricaria) Flower Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) Leaf Extract, Aspalathus Linearis (Red Tea) Leaf Extract, Tocopheryl (Vitamin E) Acetate, Fragrance, Butylenes Glycol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Disodium Edta, 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1, 3-Diol.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    solidgold wrote: »

3. Vitamin C – You can buy it ready-made but it’s quite expensive at $45/oz. I make it myself and store it in a 1oz dropper bottle using the following recipe:
    3 teaspoons distilled water (or tap)
    3 teaspoons Hyaluronic Acid (an 8oz bottle will last a very long time)
    3/4 teaspoon l-ascorbic acid (a 4oz container will last a very long time)
    Mix water and l-ascorbic acid in dropper bottle. Shake until l-ascorbic acid is in solution. Add in HA and shake until mixed.
    I apply half a dropper full into my palm, rub my palms together and pat on face, avoiding the eye area. Some people recommend waiting 15 minutes before the next step, but again, my skin gets too painfully dry if I wait.

How long does the C serum stay fresh? Do you mix it daily, once every couple days? Do you keep it in the fridge? Thanks.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    auntnett wrote: »
    Anyone tried both emu and jojoba oil? If so, which did you end up sticking with and why?

I started with emu oil. I felt like I wasn't getting enough moisture into my skin, but that could have been due to the extensive air travel/winter weather/acclimation to the new products that was going on at the same time. In the last month, I switched to jojoba oil because I bought it for my boyfriend to help with his scalp issues and my skin seemed to like it as well, so I'm staying with it. So, to sum up, I'm not sure if emu truly wasn't as moisturizing as jojoba, because my dryness could have been due to other factors, but I'm happy with jojoba now. And it's cheaper and vegetarian.
    pedaheh wrote: »
    How long does the C serum stay fresh? Do you mix it daily, once every couple days? Do you keep it in the fridge? Thanks.

Since I keep it in an amber bottle, I keep it out on my bathroom countertop. I couldn't say exactly how long it stays fresh, but I could guess months. I make 1oz at a time following the recipe above and it lasts months. I think I've made it twice in the last 4 months; I'm not sure because I did some switching of bottles and may not be remembering exactly.
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think I'll start with jojoba since it's also readily available on the ground. Thanks!
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • AjidahkAjidahk Posts: 1,212Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Can I do this regimen while using retin-A?
    Hair Type: 4a with 3c sections...frizzy,wavy,bushy,curly
    Yes, some people use Retin A daily or occasionally while doing this regimen.
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
1234568»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file