RCW converts- progress?

Comments

• PigletPiglet Posts: 1,451Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Still getting cystic spots. I'm wondering if I need to stop the cleanser completely and just try warm water. I wonder if that would clean my face adequately.
    Yes, my tail is naturally curly.
    No, it was NOT me who cried 'wee wee wee wee wee' all the way home.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Piglet wrote: »
    Still getting cystic spots. I'm wondering if I need to stop the cleanser completely and just try warm water. I wonder if that would clean my face adequately.

Cystic acne really needs to be addressed by a physician and prescription products...probably Accutane.

Warm water only works on folks who are dry skinned and wear no makeup. Anyone with any sort of oily skin/acne-prone, really need something to cut the oil and clean/exfoliate the pores.
  • PigletPiglet Posts: 1,451Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Cystic acne really needs to be addressed by a physician and prescription products...probably Accutane.

Warm water only works on folks who are dry skinned and wear no makeup. Anyone with any sort of oily skin/acne-prone, really need something to cut the oil and clean/exfoliate the pores.

Thanks RCW. I don't get a lot of cystic acne, but two have just appeared, much to my annoyance. My skin is weird though. It's dry in places at the moment and slightly oily in others. I say 'slightly oily' because the PSF cleanser has done wonders for helping the oiliness. I am truly thrilled with how it has helped with that. Thanks so much for recommending it.
    Yes, my tail is naturally curly.
    No, it was NOT me who cried 'wee wee wee wee wee' all the way home.
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    [ My skin is weird though. It's dry in places at the moment and slightly oily in others.

My skin is like that too, and I've found that since exfoliating twice a day (clarisonic), it has greatly improved (the dry and the oily).
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Even though I'm a RCW routine dropout, I wanted to post about two things I found out about here that I am definitely going to keep up with:
    • The Clarisonic facebrush -- I already had a Sonicare toothbrush and I knew what a difference this technology made with my teeth, so I was eager to try this out. I was not disappointed. I really love mine and will definitely continue to use it.
    • Leaving acid products on for 30 minutes -- I'm doing this with Walgreen's AHA product and it's working more effectively than before.
    I haven't actually placed my Sage order yet. I had never given my old "drugstore products only" routine a try with the addition of the two above things, so I wanted to give that a go.

Since I gave up the PSF castile and other products, my skin is 100% improved. I had one zit the day after I stopped and nothing since. My skin is no longer dehydrated/dried out. I'm very happy with things.

I may still go to the Sage route to achieve some more refinement of pores and evenness. But for now, I'm very content with things as they are.
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    wild~hair wrote: »
    Since I gave up the PSF castile and other products, my skin is 100% improved. I had one zit the day after I stopped and nothing since. My skin is no longer dehydrated/dried out. I'm very happy with things.

My situation is much like yours. I haven't been using any PSF products for a while and my skin has also improved. I really loved the castile cleanser for a good few months, then things went haywire. I still have some left and don't know whether I'll try to use it again or not, but not at the moment. I didn't care for their BHA, but do really like DY's which I'm using religiously. And of course, gotta love those retinoids!
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    VTmom wrote: »

My situation is much like yours. I haven't been using any PSF products for a while and my skin has also improved. I really loved the castile cleanser for a good few months, then things went haywire. I still have some left and don't know whether I'll try to use it again or not, but not at the moment. I didn't care for their BHA, but do really like DY's which I'm using religiously. And of course, gotta love those retinoids!

What is the difference between the BHAs?? I have both. Thanks!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    I'm still kind of in limbo with the routine. I'm still getting breakouts, but they're small whitehead type pimples, not cystic acne by any means. My skin wasn't clear before this so it's not like I can go back to something that works.

I am using the Vitamin C serum now and that is absolutely making my skin brighter and more even. I'm finding since the C serum has HA mixed with it, I don't need my separate bottle of HA really.

I bought 5% BHA to try out, but I'm waiting to use up my current bottle of 2%. I'm hoping the 5% will help -- we'll see.

I do have PCOS so it may just be that nothing will clear up my acne. I know when I am about 20 pounds lighter my symptoms decrease significantly so I'm working on that. :)

If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
    xcptnl wrote: »

DY's BHA only has 3 ingredients: water, alcohol, and salicylic acid. I think this is one reason it works for me - not much stuff in it. PSF's has more, and I'm thinking the eucalyptus might not agree with me.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)

DY's BHA only has 3 ingredients: water, alcohol, and salicylic acid. I think this is one reason it works for me - not much stuff in it. PSF's has more, and I'm thinking the eucalyptus might not agree with me.

I was thinking the same thing. I am going to use just the DY for a bit and see if that helps. Thanks!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • stefathenastefathena Posts: 450Registered Users
    i have been using PSF products for about a month now, and it's really made a huge difference in my skin' appearance, thanks so much RCW. i use the gentle cleansing castile (am going to try working on using even less than i use, which is less than pea sized.) i was exfoliating with a BHA 2%, but was feeling so dry even with my HA and jojoba oil. i've really cut back on the BHA, i haven't used it in days, and i'm feeling SLIGHTLY less dry but i need to exfoliate, right? does the emu oil make a huge difference in moisture over the jojoba?
    new york city

barack the vote!
  • j'adorej'adore Posts: 1,966Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been using for a month as well....I am digging the DMAE, the Castile Cleanser, and the Vitamin C. I also purchased an 8% TCA peel--I used that almost two weeks ago.

Here's my review:

I have experienced a slight improvement in texture, but I still breakout. I have two big dark spots on BOTH sides of my face. If I could get rid of those and stop it from happening, I'd be pretty happy.

I know someone mentioned using BPO, and I may try that. I have the 2% BHA, but am afraid to use it ( I am allergic to SD-Alcohol, etc). I know from experience that it is THE DEVIL for my skin.

The products do give me a nice "glow", but it is temporary.
    "Don't play me...I'm over 30, and I don't smoke weed"
    -Prince

catcatadr20050914_-8_Marley+is.png
  • VanedaVaneda Posts: 402Registered Users
    I'm still following the RCW method and I am still mostly happy with my results. Actually very happy as this is the best my skin has looked in a long time. My formerly SERIOUSLY oily skin has really calmed down.

The only small complaint I have is that I still haven't cleared up the blackhead problem as much as I would like. I have stepped up the BHA to 5%, which I use at least 2x per day, and also use Mama Lotion 2 or 3 times per week. Any suggestions from any of you as to what else I could do to combat the ever reappearing blackheads? <sigh>....I think I am just looking for perfection...!

I did find this little company that makes a cheaper BHA that I am really liking. It is sold by ifeelprettyproducts.com. I don't know if their BHA meets the RCW stamp of approval, but it appears they have the ph of it right. Anyway, I use the IFP BHA part of the time and DY BHA the rest of the time. I get the exact same results from both products (but keep in mind that I've never had an "acne" problem so I am not sure if there's anything in the IFP that would cause breakouts).
    2/b-2/c - I shampoo daily with non-sulfate shampoos - right now am *loving* L'Oreal Everpure shampoo and conditioner
    For styling: homemade flax seed gel, Curl Keeper, and/or KCCC
    Current favorite product: *KCCC*!!

• Brooke789Brooke789 Posts: 415Registered Users
    Ok, so I need to order some more SA soon. I have been doing just the PSF castile cleanser and SA (both two to three times a day). My skin has gotten pretty clear. (I've been doing this routine for about 3 months). I do still have an occasional pimple (although much smaller and clears up faster than before) and I still have blackheads on my nose. Should I add anything else to my routine?
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    Brooke789 wrote: »
    ...and I still have blackheads on my nose. Should I add anything else to my routine?

Do you extract the blackheads from your nose? For me, some of them come out on their own, but I have to remove s lot. Using the SA helps new ones not to form, or if they do, they are very small and are more likely to rise to the top on their own.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • curlygirl1012curlygirl1012 Posts: 72Registered Users
    Hi there, I have been using the PSF products and loving them, however, I ordered samples so I just wanted to know how everybody else exfoliates with the HA? I know it is probably on here somewhere but I cannot find it Any suggestions would be fabulous! Thanks so much!
    MM Shampoo and MM Condish(mixed with honey), Bed Head Ego Boost leave-in, CK, Re:coil......Loving it :blob7:
    The HA is used for moisture and SA for exfoliation. HTH!

stefathena wrote: »
    i have been using PSF products for about a month now, and it's really made a huge difference in my skin' appearance, thanks so much RCW. i use the gentle cleansing castile (am going to try working on using even less than i use, which is less than pea sized.) i was exfoliating with a BHA 2%, but was feeling so dry even with my HA and jojoba oil. i've really cut back on the BHA, i haven't used it in days, and i'm feeling SLIGHTLY less dry but i need to exfoliate, right? does the emu oil make a huge difference in moisture over the jojoba?

I am using such a small amount this stuff will last me until I am 90!! Is it going to bad before I can use it all?
    Central Massachusetts

Sorry that is what I meant....how do you exfoiliate with the BHA? Right now I have the sample and I am just rubbing it on my face....although I love the stuff it doesn't seem to be right......
    MM Shampoo and MM Condish(mixed with honey), Bed Head Ego Boost leave-in, CK, Re:coil......Loving it :blob7:
    stefathena wrote: »

I am using such a small amount this stuff will last me until I am 90!! Is it going to bad before I can use it all?

I've had a bottle for a REALLY long time, and it still seems fine. If you're concerned, you could move part of it to another container and refrigerate until you need it.
    Sorry that is what I meant....how do you exfoiliate with the BHA? Right now I have the sample and I am just rubbing it on my face....although I love the stuff it doesn't seem to be right......

BHA is an acid. It works on it's own. All you need to do is apply to clean skin and wait 30 minutes before applying anything else, to give the acid time to work Your skin will neutralize it after about 30 minutes and it will be OK to go on to your next product. You might need to manually wipe off a few flakes occasionally, but mostly BHA causes minimal peeling, if any.
    Thank you! I guess I was doing it correctly then :) there is a first for everything!
  • Pippa8668Pippa8668 Posts: 163Registered Users
    RCW, any thoughts on the ifeelpretty BHA? I have to order more soon and I honestly don't have the funds. This would be great, if it is cheaper and just as good.

Anyone else is welcome to answer too- thanks vaneda for mentioning it!
    3b-ish i think
    off and on CG-er since 2004
    Products: recently wiped the slate clean and am starting over on the search for HG products on a poor grad student budget
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    just want to chime in that it's been about 2 months since i started using psf products and my skin is completely clear! i have a few dark spots from the bad breakout i had (from mac liquid foundation) right before i ditched the liquid foundation and changed to psf. i started using a neutrogena sunscreen and my skin is still doing extremely well. i also use tazorac every other night most of the time (but i forget some nights). i also bought the marvel mini (light therapy) and it helped ALOT on my dark marks, seriously i noticed improvement with this is just a few short uses. i don't really understand how it works but it does!! i also use my clarisonic most days. so i think a few things are working in conjunction but the psf products (cleanser, bha, vit c) have been very helpful. i hardly ever use the h.a. serum and probably won't repurchase. i also don't really use the balancing oil but i am going to give that another try.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
    Pippa8668 wrote: »
    RCW, any thoughts on the ifeelpretty BHA? I have to order more soon and I honestly don't have the funds. This would be great, if it is cheaper and just as good.

Anyone else is welcome to answer too- thanks vaneda for mentioning it!

IFP puts glycerine in their BHA. I don't like the feel of too much glycerine on my face, but it looks like an OK product if you don't mind it.
  • KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    So I've been doing this for about a month now and I'm loving it so far! My skin has evened out as far as oily vs. very dry. It's really sensitive so I'm glad that things are going well. I can't stop touching my face (no no I know but it feels so nice!) I ordered the full sizes of the basics and am trying a few more samples/combos. I'm still getting a few little whitehead type pimples but nothing major. It's better when I wash twice a day but I often can't convince myself to get up and wash my face when I washed it the night before and did nothing but sleep on it (unless it's been a hot night).

I've always had pretty clear skin but it was starting to get way out of control which I attribute to my minor liver function problems. This has really helped combat them!

I've even ordered my friend some samples to try.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I just posted an update in the Over 40 forum. Basically, after almost a month of following the regimen, I didn't get cystic blemishes during PMS which is the first time in 25 (gulp) years.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • YomYom Posts: 1,146Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'm running out of SA. I'm currently using 2%, do you think I should order the 5% SA now?

What exactly is the difference?

BTW: My skin does not get irritated with the 2%
    3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
    Modified CG since 08/10/2007
    http://public.fotki.com/Curly-Y/ (updated september 6)
    pw: currrly
    Yomini wrote: »
    I'm running out of SA. I'm currently using 2%, do you think I should order the 5% SA now?

What exactly is the difference?

BTW: My skin does not get irritated with the 2%

5% will help clear stubborn clogged pores if you have them, and will do slightly more exfoliation than the 2%. If you're doing well with 2%, there's no reason to move up unless you need to.
  • YomYom Posts: 1,146Registered Users Curl Novice
    Thanks RCW, I'll stick with the 2% for a while then.
    3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
    Modified CG since 08/10/2007
    http://public.fotki.com/Curly-Y/ (updated september 6)
    pw: currrly

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file