RCW converts- progress?

Comments

• MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    While I'm still experiencing some occasional breakouts on my forehead and on my chin, my skin is looking great overall. I am still including benzoyl peroxide as part of my routine - for some reason I can't cut that out. The blackheads on my nose are almost 100% gone and my skin is smooth and bright. I'm thinking about adding in a Vitamin C serum to even out my skintone, but I haven't decided yet.

If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's weird. Everywhere I am not breaking out looks fantastic so I know there is hope for me!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • Pippa8668Pippa8668 Posts: 163Registered Users
    i just wanted to post and say that a friend of mine who lives on my floor (in my college dorm) has been teasing me about my skin care routine because he often sees me dashing back to my room after breakfast saying "got to moisturize" or "forgot to exfoliate!" or something. but today he said to me, "hey, that exfoliating and moisturizing thing you are doing seems to be working"

yay! it is one thing to get compliments from my boyfriend, who has to say i look great, but it made me feel really good that someone else noticed how good my skin is looking :) i guess it is really looking better and is not just wishful thinking on my part. now i just hope it lasts, its been about a month since i started the RCW recommended program. i use the PSF castille cleanser, PSF 5% SA, and moisturize with a mix of jojoba and HA. my skin is soft and my skin tone more even. my old acne marks seem to have faded a little bit and the few new zits that have popped up have faded quickly and not left a mark. i think i am less oily too.
    3b-ish i think
    off and on CG-er since 2004
    Products: recently wiped the slate clean and am starting over on the search for HG products on a poor grad student budget
  • j'adorej'adore Posts: 1,966Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Two huge ZITS on the left side of my face! The spots are fading everywhere else, though, and on Saturday my skin was particularly glowy and nice.
    "Don't play me...I'm over 30, and I don't smoke weed"
    -Prince

catcatadr20050914_-8_Marley+is.png
    I am just not sure if my breakouts are because of the routine or if my skin is just totally being freaky. I have never had these types of pimples before (red, large and they hurt). But right before I started using the green tea cleanser my right side of my face started having odd breakouts so I am thinking it's just my skin. This cleanser does not seem to be making the worse but they seem to look better one day and then worse the next and then better, etc. I am going to try the cleanser samples I have ordered and I will go from there. I have been leary of adding any of the other products into my routine until I figure out the cleanser I want to use.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • PigletPiglet Posts: 1,451Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think I will stop using the products for a few days. I keep getting an itchy red rash on my cheeks. It feels so bumpy and horrible.
    Yes, my tail is naturally curly.
    No, it was NOT me who cried 'wee wee wee wee wee' all the way home.
  • thataliciagirlthataliciagirl Posts: 477Registered Users
    Tyler (boyfriend, using the routine too) and I are breaking out ... not horribly, but for me it's random pimples popping up where they don't normally. We've only been on the new stuff for 11 days. We're spot treating with benzoyl peroxide which helps a bit.

If you've experienced breaking out during the transition phase and are now over it ... how long did it last for you?

2c/3a; CG/Mod since 5/07

Counting down!:
    Shooting my 1st wedding - May 17th
    Portfolio Review - May 23rd (wish me LUCK!)
    Graduation - June 20th
    Move back to MAINE!! - Late July

Pictures of me: http://public.fotki.com/thataliciagirl/
    Pictures by me: http://www.alicialanephotography.com/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users

If you've experienced breaking out during the transition phase and are now over it ... how long did it last for you?

I had several zits pop up, but honestly, they only lasted a day because I re-applied BHA several times (a day). This probably went on for a week to 10 days.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • thataliciagirlthataliciagirl Posts: 477Registered Users
    2happy wrote: »

I had several zits pop up, but honestly, they only lasted a day because I re-applied BHA several times (a day). This probably went on for a week to 10 days.

I didn't think of spot treating with the BHA ... maybe we'll try that.

P.S. is that an Eskie in your pic?!!! I'm an Eskie owner too!!

2c/3a; CG/Mod since 5/07

Counting down!:
    Shooting my 1st wedding - May 17th
    Portfolio Review - May 23rd (wish me LUCK!)
    Graduation - June 20th
    Move back to MAINE!! - Late July

Pictures of me: http://public.fotki.com/thataliciagirl/
    Pictures by me: http://www.alicialanephotography.com/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

P.S. is that an Eskie in your pic?!!! I'm an Eskie owner too!!
    Yup. He's actually an american eskimo sheltie mix. The entire litter looked like shelties, except him. I wasn't looking to get another dog at the time, but I couldn't resist him.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • southernbelle08southernbelle08 Posts: 199Registered Users
    Another update:

My skin is looking so good!!!! Woohoo!!! Thanks RCW!! I have no breakouts!!!

I am SO surprised that my skin has not gotten dry at ALL on this routine...I've done ProActive, the Regimen, and TONS of other stuff, and they all totally beat up my face and made it dry/crackly/red/itchy. This is amazing. The TriLuma isn't even making my skin dry! I guess the RCW routine is causing my skin barrier to finally heal after all these years...
    EXTREMELY thick, medium 3B-3C hair;
    I have yet to find a hair twin ANYWHERE...website or real life :(

Current routine: Um, I don't feel like updating my siggie every thirty minutes. :) I'm experimenting right now! (loving the overnight plop!)
    Ahhhh...finally. The gentle castile cleanser from PSF is working! I do get a bit dry with it but I would rather have that then the breakouts from the Green Tea (must have been the seaweed/kelp because I tried a sample of the wheat germ from DY and that did not work either). So I think I can now start adding in the Vit C and the BHA!!
    Central Massachusetts

• ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    xcptnl wrote: »
    Ahhhh...finally. The gentle castile cleanser from PSF is working! I do get a bit dry with it but I would rather have that then the breakouts from the Green Tea (must have been the seaweed/kelp because I tried a sample of the wheat germ from DY and that did not work either). So I think I can now start adding in the Vit C and the BHA!!

:cheers:

Glad to hear that the Gentle Castile is working for you. I had the same experience. Oddly, the castile is not as drying as it was when I first used it. Perhaps, over time, you will also experience this.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    Thanks Windflower. That is good to know about the drying part.
    Central Massachusetts

• NotinabottleNotinabottle Posts: 303Registered Users
    ahhh, I got a sunburn today. It was an accident, I'm still just used to winter!

I'm going to assume its a good idea to back off the SA for a few days or however long it takes to go away. But what about the castile soap? I'm going to make another assumption and day the HA and VitC will be more beneficial than not.

Thoughts?
    3a/b Thick, dry, in need of a haircut.
    HG's: Giovannia Smooth as Silk Conditioner and Aura Hypoallergenic Gel.

Whee a fotki!http://public.fotki.com/Notinabottle/
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Stupid me only wore an SPF 15 to a baseball game last Sunday so I burned bad enough to peel. I do that at least once every spring because I don't get it into my thick skull that it isn't winter any more.

I used the PSF castille cleanser with no problems.

i don't know about the other stuff as I've never used HA alone and C burns the crap out of me.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My skin is looking much better since I last posted. The breakouts have subsided and I'm getting much more consistent results now.

A few weeks ago I began tweaking things a bit because of ongoing dryness — first by backing off the Castile, then backing off the BHA. I finally realized it was the BHA making me dry, not the Castile. Now I'm back to using the BHA 2x a day without trouble. The key is to use far less than I had been [which was not a lot, believe me]. Right now I use so little I'm not sure I'm getting adequate coverage, but it's the only way to keep the overly tight, dried out skin at bay.

I still have some red marks from the breakouts, but they're clearing up rather quickly. And I still get the odd almost-microscopic zit, but they seem to generally be on their way out.

I am still using BP at night. I will play around with dropping that in a month or so. I'm not looking forward to it, lest I break out again, but we'll see.
  • LilahLilah Posts: 916Registered Users
    My skin has been amazing this last week or so! Virtually no new zits!!! I can't think of the last time I didn't have at least one little guy I was dealing with.

I have been using the PSF sunscreen lately now too and it hasn't been causing any breakouts so that's great too.

I'm about to use up my first bottle of Vit. C-- I got it mid-February.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My cheeks feel normal again. My skin has overall been looking a lot better, but I'm still getting new zits on my cheeks and my forehead has broken out. My skin is feeling smoother though.
  • southernbelle08southernbelle08 Posts: 199Registered Users
    My skin is so glowy and smooth!!! And the scars are slowly (SLOWWLLYY) fading!!
    EXTREMELY thick, medium 3B-3C hair;
    I have yet to find a hair twin ANYWHERE...website or real life :(

Current routine: Um, I don't feel like updating my siggie every thirty minutes. :) I'm experimenting right now! (loving the overnight plop!)
    PSF is letting me exchange the Green Tea for the Gentle Castile even though a bit over the 30 days. I think because we were emailing back and forth shortly after I got it. Nice customer service.

My two acne areas are slowing clearing up. I still am only using the cleanser 2x a day, vit C in the am daily and SA every other day at night. One more week and I will add in the HA.
    Central Massachusetts

My skin has broken out badly. I've got a few cystic ones and small zits on my cheeks, forehead, side of face, chin...everywhere. They just appear out of nowhere. I'm hoping my skin is still settling. I've been off detergents for about 6 weeks.
    Oh dear. It's not going well for me.

Every time I think it's going to work out, I break out again. The final straw that led me to post this tonight was feeling a new zit forming along my jaw line near my right ear. I just got one in that area to clear up last week, now I have another. :angry7: Not happy.

Literally the day after I last posted, about a week ago, I woke up with a new zit and it's been the case every day since then. Nothing too large or cystic and I am premenstrual, but any routine I'm on needs to be able to handle hormonal acne or it's not a keeper for me.

What I cannot figure out is, if I wasn't breaking out with my previous routine [which I was on for over a year], why am I having this apparent purge? There shouldn't be anything to purge, you know?

Also, I'm still struggling with occasional dryness. The weather cools off a bit, I get dried out. I use a hair too much BHA, I get dried out. Sometimes I get dried out and I don't even know why! I wound up backing off using the BHA 2x a day for this reason. Which may be why I'm breaking out. I've always had clear skin when I can incorporate an acid into my routine both AM and PM. And I am using the 2% and so little of it it's barely covering the area.

Half the time I look at my skin in the mirror and I think it looks good, half the time it looks really dehydrated, taut and weird. This could be morning or evening. This routine is very fussy compared to all the others I've used over the years, and believe me, I've used many.

I dunno. It looks like I've been with this 7 weeks, and I'm thinking 8 weeks might be my cut-off point, then it's back to Sage. Heck, I could even go back to Walgreen's AHA, Avalon face wash, Persa-gel and crushed aspirin — my skin was at least clear on that regimen and never, ever dry. That was the routine I was on this past year — not great on minimizing pores and improving tone, but it kept the zits away.

If I give the PSF stuff up, I'll likely bring that stuff out to use again until my Sage order arrives.

Anyway, I gave it a shot, but I just don't think it's for me.

You know that especially if you're using acids, you should be wearing UVA/UVB sunblock 365 days a year, right?

Some of the UV rays are still damaging — through cloud cover, windows, low sunlight, etc. — even when you aren't getting a tan or a burn.
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    wild~hair wrote: »
    Oh dear. It's not going well for me.

Every time I think it's going to work out, I break out again. The final straw that led me to post this tonight was feeling a new zit forming along my jaw line near my right ear. I just got one in that area to clear up last week, now I have another. :angry7: Not happy.

Literally the day after I last posted, about a week ago, I woke up with a new zit and it's been the case every day since then. Nothing too large or cystic and I am premenstrual, but any routine I'm on needs to be able to handle hormonal acne or it's not a keeper for me.

What I cannot figure out is, if I wasn't breaking out with my previous routine [which I was on for over a year], why am I having this apparent purge? There shouldn't be anything to purge, you know?

Also, I'm still struggling with occasional dryness. The weather cools off a bit, I get dried out. I use a hair too much BHA, I get dried out. Sometimes I get dried out and I don't even know why! I wound up backing off using the BHA 2x a day for this reason. Which may be why I'm breaking out. I've always had clear skin when I can incorporate an acid into my routine both AM and PM. And I am using the 2% and so little of it it's barely covering the area.

Half the time I look at my skin in the mirror and I think it looks good, half the time it looks really dehydrated, taut and weird. This could be morning or evening. This routine is very fussy compared to all the others I've used over the years, and believe me, I've used many.

I dunno. It looks like I've been with this 7 weeks, and I'm thinking 8 weeks might be my cut-off point, then it's back to Sage. Heck, I could even go back to Walgreen's AHA, Avalon face wash, Persa-gel and crushed aspirin — my skin was at least clear on that regimen and never, ever dry. That was the routine I was on this past year — not great on minimizing pores and improving tone, but it kept the zits away.

If I give the PSF stuff up, I'll likely bring that stuff out to use again until my Sage order arrives.

Anyway, I gave it a shot, but I just don't think it's for me.

I feel your pain, wild hair. February, March and part of April were heII for me. I think I'm finally starting to make the turn, but I've tweaked a good part of my former routine. I now use Earth Science's Creamy Cleanser 2x's/day, DY's 2% BHA 2x's/day, and either differin or retin-a in the p.m. I haven't decided about my vitamin c yet. I just ordered a sample of the 25% from DY and the jury's still out. It feels nice on my skin and isn't tacky, but I'll have to wait and see if there are any results to speak of. Good luck to you and I'll keep my fingers crossed!
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
    Wild hair - Have you used just the basics? The gentle cleansing castile and whatever moisturizer?

When I was using just the cleanser, and balancing oil when needed, and exfoliating twice a day with my clarisonic, my skin was the best it ever was. I can add Vit. C and its all still good. As soon as I incorporate DMAE, or BHA, or whatever, I get the random zits popping out, and my redness flares up. I have sensitive skin. But, I'm working at it slowly, determined to push through, because overall, my blackheads are less and my pores are small. Skin still looks better.
    Location - WI
  • NotinabottleNotinabottle Posts: 303Registered Users
    wild~hair wrote: »

You know that especially if you're using acids, you should be wearing UVA/UVB sunblock 365 days a year, right?

Some of the UV rays are still damaging — through cloud cover, windows, low sunlight, etc. — even when you aren't getting a tan or a burn.

I guess I didn't actually know I should, but I was aware I probably should be. I almost never wear any sort of sun block and I'm practically reflectively pale, I just never thought sunblock would be condusive to having clear skin. It's probably something I should start thinking about doing I suppose, so thanks!
    3a/b Thick, dry, in need of a haircut.
    HG's: Giovannia Smooth as Silk Conditioner and Aura Hypoallergenic Gel.

Whee a fotki!http://public.fotki.com/Notinabottle/
    Wild hair - Have you used just the basics? The gentle cleansing castile and whatever moisturizer?

When I was using just the cleanser, and balancing oil when needed, and exfoliating twice a day with my clarisonic, my skin was the best it ever was. I can add Vit. C and its all still good. As soon as I incorporate DMAE, or BHA, or whatever, I get the random zits popping out, and my redness flares up. I have sensitive skin. But, I'm working at it slowly, determined to push through, because overall, my blackheads are less and my pores are small. Skin still looks better.

Same here. I am just using the cleanser 2x a day, vit c in the am and the BHA every other night for right now. I had to start all over again with one product at a time. I found I was sensitive to the Green Tea cleanser.
    Central Massachusetts

VTmom wrote: »
    Good luck to you and I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Thanks, and good luck to you as well!

Yes, I believe so, except I added in a benzoyl peroxide product midway. I had to, my skin was breaking out like it hasn't since my 20s. It did curtail about 3/4 the breakouts.

I was using the castile 2x a day with the Clarisonic. Mornings, I would apply a non-comedogenic SPF lotion from Sage Skin Care, Sage Old Lady Cream [a non-comed. moisturizer] and some Mineral Veil from BE. Then evenings, BHA and Persagel [BP product]. I always waited the 30 min before applying the BP.

All of the products I used that were not from PSF were tried-and-true standbys for me, known to not break me out, been using them for years and years, etc.

So that was the general routine, other than trying to use BHA 2x a day for a few days here and there, as mentioned.
    xcptnl wrote: »
    Same here. I am just using the cleanser 2x a day, vit c in the am and the BHA every other night for right now. I had to start all over again with one product at a time. I found I was sensitive to the Green Tea cleanser.

I suppose I could keep trying with it, swapping out products, trying a difference cleanser, scaling way back on the BHA [although, as someone who has used acids 2x a day with success for the last 15 years or so, this strikes fear in my heart!]. But unfortunately my patience has run out. I've had acne since I was 14 [we're talking 25 years of this stuff now] and I know I can have clear skin with certain regimens, so I'm just going to go back to those.

Why was I trying to fix something that wasn't broken? Well, I was intrigued by the skin barrier concept and the simple routine and ingredients, and, last but not least, the lower price! But I've done the patient testing and waiting for results too many times already, you know? I just want clear skin, I know how to get it, so I'm just going to do that.

I already went back to my Walgreen's AHA/aspirin/Avalon combo last night. I'm placing a Sage order today. Works for me! :D
    I just never thought sunblock would be condusive to having clear skin. It's probably something I should start thinking about doing I suppose, so thanks!

:thumbright:

I've actually never found this to be true, but apparently exposure to the sun can aggravate acne for some.

So while it's not conducive, per se, to clear skin in my own experience, sun block protects from the extra damage you might incur because of the acids you're using.

Anyone who cares about how their skin looks and will look should be wearing it, but, seriously, anyone dabbling in this acid stuff really needs to heed the sunblock warnings.

I know I sound like a broken record sometimes, and I apologize for that. My sunblock fixation comes from Barbara Strickland at Sage Skin Care and she's never steered me wrong. She makes sunblock a given in her regimen. I think as an aesthetician, she feels it would be negligent on her part not to do everything in her power to ensure her clients are protecting their skin, since her regimen depends heavily on acid products, [much as the routine being discussed here does].

On top of the health reasons, there are the anti-aging effects of wearing it. Seems a shame to have clear, beautiful skin if achieving that puts your future skin at risk for sun damage, let alone something far worse.
    Good luck wild~hair! I agree - if you have a system that works use it. Like they say - if it ain't broke dont fix it.

I am still struggling with those two areas on my face - I think when I go to my physical in a month if they are still acting up I will ask about them. Up until a year ago I had pretty decent skin - I think mine could be a hormonal thing (just turned 47). BLECH.
    Central Massachusetts

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file