RCW converts- progress?

Comments

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Brio wrote: »
    Windflower wrote: »

Buying the cleanser, vit c, HA, BHA and balancing oil from PSF will cost approximately $125 + shipping + tax (if applicable)

How long do the products last? Are we talking $125 every 30 days? 60 days? 90 days?

thanks.

The cleanser lasts me many months...half a year or longer. HA and oil last me a year. I go through the Vit C and BHA more quickly...maybe a month or two.

That sounds better than my guess.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    MizKerri wrote: »
    What I decided to do is use benzoyl peroxide, 30 minutes after applying the salicylic acid, at night, for a couple of nights in a row. This worked really well to dry up all the zits that came to the surface.

Thanks for posting this, MizKerri, as this is what I have done as well.

I have been using BP products to keep my skin clear since I began having acne at 16. I dropped it when I began using PSF products so as to really commit to the routine.

But I can see that I really need to keep up with the BP — ever since I added it back into the routine, no more zits have cropped up and the existing ones began to dwindle.

I suppose in a month or two, I could try forgoing the BP again, once my skin barrier has healed, to see if that makes a difference. I don't know if I'll have the nerve to do it, this breakout was pretty bad! I had about 15 zits, from teeny tiny to pencil-eraser-sized, all over one side of my face. None of them resolved quickly, even the tiny ones hung around for about a week.

I'm also going to drop down my application of the 2% BHA back down to once a day. Something is drying out my skin horribly [and still: acne!] — it's either that, the Castile or both. I gradually began using the BHA, 1x, then 2x daily when I got the products, but my skin is still not adjusting yet. So once it's calmed down, I'll ease back up to 2x every other day for a bit, then nudge it back up to 2x every day if I can.

If I do that and I'm still dried out, I'll probably try the Wheat Germ Cleanser or Green Tea Cleansing Milk. I really need to apply an acid product 2x a day to keep up clear skin.
  • j'adorej'adore Posts: 1,966Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Got my products in the mail a few days ago. So far, so good. I really like the Castile Cleanser...I just use a washcloth with it. Love the glowiness I get from the Vitamin C, but I am taking it real slow with the BHA, because I have had severe reaction from products with SD Alcohol...I used it last night, but diluted by soaking the cotton pad with water first. I will not be using this everyday.
    "Don't play me...I'm over 30, and I don't smoke weed"
    -Prince

catcatadr20050914_-8_Marley+is.png
  • PigletPiglet Posts: 1,451Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My face is playing up. The skin feels strange, very bumpy.
    Yes, my tail is naturally curly.
    No, it was NOT me who cried 'wee wee wee wee wee' all the way home.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    wild~hair wrote: »
    But I can see that I really need to keep up with the BP — ever since I added it back into the routine, no more zits have cropped up and the existing ones began to dwindle.

I suppose in a month or two, I could try forgoing the BP again, once my skin barrier has healed, to see if that makes a difference. I don't know if I'll have the nerve to do it, this breakout was pretty bad! I had about 15 zits, from teeny tiny to pencil-eraser-sized, all over one side of my face. None of them resolved quickly, even the tiny ones hung around for about a week.

hmm maybe i need to use my bpo too. my skin is pretty good but you're right...bpo helps with pimples if you're not sensitive to it. from what i've read, salicylic acid keeps the pores clear and bpo helps kill the bacteria. i think my pores are clear but in the environment that i live in or maybe it's just my skin i think i need to be diligent and can't ignore the bacteria. i'll add bpo to my morning routine and see if it helps.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
    It feels like it's getting worse. It feels like there's a thousand tiny bumps all over the lower half of my face.
  • BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users

Buying the cleanser, vit c, HA, BHA and balancing oil from PSF will cost approximately $125 + shipping + tax (if applicable)

How long do the products last? Are we talking $125 every 30 days? 60 days? 90 days?

thanks.

The cleanser lasts me many months...half a year or longer. HA and oil last me a year. I go through the Vit C and BHA more quickly...maybe a month or two.

sounds like it ends up being relatively economical.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

thanks.

sounds like it ends up being relatively economical.

It is economical actually. These products are more expensive than drugstore products, but less expensive than department store or spa products. They're a LOT more effective than any of them though.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    wild~hair wrote: »
    I've been using PSF products for about 3 weeks.

:(

Wild Hair,
    Which products are using? I had some bad break-outs at the beginning. It has gotten a lot better.

I am using the 2% BHA and Castile.

I had posted in another thread that adding benzoyl peroxide back into my routine seems to have made the difference, for now anyway. I have had no new zits since making that adjustment.

Since I'm coming off of using products that were actually working for me,* I'm finding this whole "purge" thing a little perplexing. I would expect a purge if my skin wasn't clear to begin with, but it had been clear for a couple years, barring the odd, minor stress or hormone related zit.

[* A little about my skincare history: as I've mentioned before, I was downright thrilled with the Sage Skin Care routine, but dropped it because of the cost. I subbed similar drugstore products for a couple of financially lean years with reasonable results. However I missed that Sage "glow" and having completely and totally reliable skin, ie., no breakouts at all, not even hormone or stress zits. Since I could afford something nicer again and since there were so many raves here about it, I thought I would try this range of products, which price wise fall between drugstore and Sage.]

Anyway, I've been through the mill with skincare, and I know from experience that any new regimen should be given at least a couple months to sort itself out, if the good outweighs the bad. And in the areas I'm not broken out, it looks really good. So I'm hanging in there.

Oh, FWIW, I also got the HA to mix with jojoba oil [and I've also tried it other moisturizers] but I have to say, I don't "get" that product at all. I'm not finding it terribly helpful in hydrating anything. So instead I'm using Sage Skin Care's Gelloid and Old Lady Cream to combat the dryness. Both are great products that I know work when I've gone overboard with the SA product du jour.

I'm gonna take your advice and cut out the sunscreen for now to see if that makes a difference, though. Does anyone know of a way to get the SPF without using sunscreen/sunblock or mineral makeup, though? I'm not a big fan of mineral makeup 'cause I am really bad at applying it, so it always looks cakey. :D

This is not to pick on you, southernbelle, your post just reminded me ...

I was thinking about this today and I don't think it's been emphasized enough, or perhaps at all.

While I know everyone appreciates RCW's input on skin care in general, I wouldn't let her distaste for sunscreen discourage anyone from using it, or give them reason to think it's okay to skip it, particularly if you're using an acid product or products, as it seems most are.

Those using acids should really be using some sort of UVA/UVB suncreen with a higher SPF-factor every single day, rain or shine.

Sun damage, both beauty- and health-threatening, is a much heightened risk in this situation. It just makes good common sense: you are removing some of your skin's built-in protections by using those acid producs. So the need for sunscreen is even more pronounced than normal.

Mineral foundations don't provide enough protection. Sometimes you can get them with SPF 30, but the coverage isn't the same as with a lotion.

RCW has a tendency to state her opinions as fact. Because so many enjoy her skincare advice, I fear they think she has the facts on her side when it comes to sunscreens. But she does not.

Even during my leanest years, I made sure to have Sage's SPF 45 on hand and have used it daily. I highly recommend it.

< end PSA >
    RCW has a tendency to state her opinions as fact. Because so many enjoy her skincare advice, I fear they think she has the facts on her side when it comes to sunscreens. But she does not.

You are misrepresenting me.

I have never told anyone NOT to use sunscreen. I mention all the time that sun protection is very important and they should find some way of protecting themselves. I tell them that it's up to them to find something that works, because I am NOT a sunscreen expert.
  • alisons79alisons79 Posts: 680Registered Users
    I will side with RCW on this one. She doesn't discourage people from wearing sunscreen. She does state everytime someone asks her that *she* hates sunscreen and only wears it when she has to. She then also states that she uses the sunscreen in addition to a wide-brimmed hat and loose linen-type clothing.

She also has stated that she wears MMU with an SPF...for incidental exposure. There's no need to slather something on your skin if you're going to be inside most of the day and might walk from your front door to the car and then from the car into the grocery store. So she uses the MMU for those days.

(At least that's my understanding, please correct me if I am wrong.)

Several of us have asked for input or her opinon on what type/brand to use and she always tells us the previously stated OPINIONS. She then advises to wear sunscreen if you will be spending lots of time in the sun...and wash it off as soon as you are out of the sun.

I've never gotten the impression that she was discouraging me to wear sunscreen. She just simply hasn't recommended one to me.

And she *frequently* reminds us that she is not an expert or doctor. Nor does she tell us that her advice should be followed instead of medical orders or advice.
    3A/3B
    I love Jessicurl HCC, Jessicurl Too Shea, KCKT, KCCC, CK and HESMU...but it took a LOT of trial error to get to these products that consistently work for ME.
  • NotinabottleNotinabottle Posts: 303Registered Users
    Okay, time for another update. At this point I'd say it's been fairly close to a month using my PSF products, which is pretty amazing for me considering I'm usually pretty lax when it comes to skin care routines. I'm using the castile soap, morning and night, the 2% BHA, followed by HA and vit C(only use vitc in the mornings btw).

When I first started I had a breakout on the left side of my face, maybe about 5 pimples in total, I do believe they went away fairly quickly though. Since then my skin has been progessively clearer, smoother and just all around nicer looking. The small breakout left me with some red marks/dry spots until I realized I should avoid putting the BHA on these areas and just use the HA on them. They faded quickly after that. I had a very small monthly breakout this week, much smaller than usual at any rate, just 3 small pimples on my jawline. I could also feel two rather large pimples forming under the skin, one of my forhead, one by my nose, that never manifested, so hurrah to that.

For the most part I use all the products in the morning and night with the exception of vitc at night. However, if in the mornings I think my face is feeling a little dry, I'll just use the BHA once a day and I usually even back out. The products are great but I really have to access my skin condition everyday and give it what it needs.

Overall I'm pretty pleased so far, for the most part my skin is feeling smoother and softer. I am a little worried about ruining things if my meow mineral makeup order doesnt come in before my samples run out and I have to use my old clinique liquid foundation, which I liked before I tried meow but now just feels thick and gunky, but heres hoping!

That was longer than I intended it to be, but I know several others experienced breakouts when first starting the products so I wanted to describe what happened after that subsided for me.

BTW thank you RCW!
    3a/b Thick, dry, in need of a haircut.
    HG's: Giovannia Smooth as Silk Conditioner and Aura Hypoallergenic Gel.

Whee a fotki!http://public.fotki.com/Notinabottle/
  • BohemianRenegadeBohemianRenegade Posts: 1,078Registered Users
    I have very dry skin- should I try the PSF balancing oil or the perfecting day lotion? I'm going to get the cleansing milk, BHA 2% and Vit. C.
    Trying to find some sanity as I work on my master's in nursing...
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    I have very dry skin- should I try the PSF balancing oil or the perfecting day lotion? I'm going to get the cleansing milk, BHA 2% and Vit. C.

My guess would be the emu oil, mixed with the HA.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • beethovengirlbeethovengirl Posts: 26Registered Users
    alisons79 wrote: »
    There's no need to slather something on your skin if you're going to be inside most of the day and might walk from your front door to the car and then from the car into the grocery store.
    UVA rays are transmitted by most windows [though the front windshield filters out most UVA], so one can get a lot of UVA exposure in the car:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15491429?dopt=Citation
    There's no need to slather something on your skin if you're going to be inside most of the day and might walk from your front door to the car and then from the car into the grocery store.
    UVA rays are transmitted by most windows [though the front windshield filters out most UVA], so one can get a lot of UVA exposure in the car:

I realize this. That's why I have no problem slathering sunscreen on every part of my body....except my face! On days where I work, I use the PSF SPF 30 and I carry it in the cargo pocket of my pants so that if I get stuck outside unexpectedly for a long period of time, I am prepared!

But on days where I will be inside most of the day, I don't need sunscreen on that day. Getting some incidental sun exposure is good for you...getting too much is bad. So if I get less than 5 minutes a day, 2-3 days a week, on my unprotected face, I'm thinking I'm okay. Maybe that's just my view. It's how I choose to do it. I guess if my face falls off or I get skin cancer in 10 years, I'll find out then that I was wrong. Until then, I'm willing to take my chances.
    3A/3B
    I love Jessicurl HCC, Jessicurl Too Shea, KCKT, KCCC, CK and HESMU...but it took a LOT of trial error to get to these products that consistently work for ME.
    Getting some incidental sun exposure is good for you...
    I'm not aware of any benefits of sun exposure while in the car, but ultimately the decision of whether or not to wear sunscreen on a daily basis is a personal one.
    I'm not aware of any benefits of sun exposure while in the car, but ultimately the decision of whether or not to wear sunscreen on a daily basis is a personal one.

I wear sunscreen all over my body on days that I work. On days that I don't work, i only wear it on my body.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/29/health/webmd/main2411009.shtml

http://www.myhealthsense.com/F020604_somesun.html

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/news/20070130/could-some-sun-be-good-your-skin

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080107181411.htm
    3A/3B

I wear sunscreen all over my body on days that I work. On days that I don't work, i only wear it on my body.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/news/20070130/could-some-sun-be-good-your-skin

Those articles are about sunlight and the formation of vitamin D. only UVB rays induce the photosynthesis of vit D, and you don't get exposed to UVB in the car, only UVA. here is a quote from the last article you posted:
    "Melanoma is triggered by UVA (the long UV wavelengths) and visible light. Vitamin-D production in the body, on the other hand, is triggered by UVB (the short UV wavelengths at the earth's surface). "So perhaps we should redesign sunscreens so they don't screen out as much UVB while still protecting us from the melanoma-inducing UVA and visible light," Setlow says."

I get my vitamin D from supplements.

Those articles are about sunlight and the formation of vitamin D. only UVB rays induce the photosynthesis of vit D, and you don't get exposed to UVB in the car, only UVA. here is a quote from the last article you posted:
    "Melanoma is triggered by UVA (the long UV wavelengths) and visible light. Vitamin-D production in the body, on the other hand, is triggered by UVB (the short UV wavelengths at the earth's surface). "So perhaps we should redesign sunscreens so they don't screen out as much UVB while still protecting us from the melanoma-inducing UVA and visible light," Setlow says."

I get my vitamin D from supplements.

I'm done arguing. You can win. But yes, wearing sunscreen is up to me. I have made my choice. And now I have to live with it....
    3A/3B
  • BohemianRenegadeBohemianRenegade Posts: 1,078Registered Users
    2happy wrote: »

My guess would be the emu oil, mixed with the HA.

2happy- do you have an online source for the emu oil? When you say mixed with HA are you referring to BHA?
    Trying to find some sanity as I work on my master's in nursing...
  • southernbelle08southernbelle08 Posts: 199Registered Users
    Update: I've been on the RCW routine for almost two weeks now (I think...something like that) and my breakouts have seriously subsided. I now have no active pimples, just red marks and scars (that still look like acne to me). Overall, my face is definitely improving! I received the Tri-Luma three days ago, and I can already tell I am going to have to really find a gradual way to use it, because my face is turning really red/oily/greasy. But I'm still holdin' out! Here's my routine right now:

Morning:
    -Wash with WGC
    -Apply DY BHA 5%
    -Wait 30 minutes
    -Vitamin C (ran out of my sample though...I'm gonna hold off on reordering it because of my budget :wink:.)
    -(No moisturizer, because my face is really oily as it is. And I'm only using the sunscreen when I know I'll be outside for a long time)

Evening:
    -Wash with WGC
    -Apply BHA
    -Apply TriLuma
    -Moisturize

Question: Is BHA AND TriLuma at night overkill? If it's not, am I applying them in the right order? (My face is pretty tough against the BHA...I'm just worried if mixing them will be counterproductive)
    EXTREMELY thick, medium 3B-3C hair;
    I have yet to find a hair twin ANYWHERE...website or real life :(

Current routine: Um, I don't feel like updating my siggie every thirty minutes. :) I'm experimenting right now! (loving the overnight plop!)
    Question: Is BHA AND TriLuma at night overkill? If it's not, am I applying them in the right order? (My face is pretty tough against the BHA...I'm just worried if mixing them will be counterproductive)

It might be. If you get too irritated, you might want to use one or the other, not both.

Remember that Tri-Luma is a short-term product. It's not meant to be used continuously for long periods of time. I used it daily for a month or two to get my hyperpigmentation under control, then went to once-a-week for maintenance.
  • NotinabottleNotinabottle Posts: 303Registered Users
    I'd just like to say that my skin has never looked better. It's been about a month I suppose using the product and I have no active pimples or red marks really. I did have one near my hairline but I think that's more from my hair products than anything else. I've been using the H.A. very sparingly this week because I haven't really needed it. I think it's because it's getting warm out and my skin is adjusting to the weather. I've never been happier with any other product results, sooooo Thank you RCW!! I'm grateful for your time and advice on these boards, I've had acne since god knows when, tried some crazy things to get rid of it but this is the first time I'm not apprehensive to look at my face in the mirror in the morning. :toothy7:
    3a/b Thick, dry, in need of a haircut.
    HG's: Giovannia Smooth as Silk Conditioner and Aura Hypoallergenic Gel.

Whee a fotki!http://public.fotki.com/Notinabottle/
    I'm at least three weeks in. I'm using the PSF cleanser, jojoba oil and BHA 2%. I'm only using the BHA sometimes because it's expensive and I want to see if I can get it in the UK. The cleanser though is very economical. My skin at the moment seems to be bounching back and forth between dry and ok and red and pimply and fairly clear. Sometimes it looks ok without make up from a distance, but when I look closely, it's red and nasty. I'm going to keep going with this though. My skin is certainly no worse than prior to this, and I like using the cleanser.
  • thataliciagirlthataliciagirl Posts: 477Registered Users
    It's been almost a week that I've been using the Diana Yvonne WCG and 2% BHA. I started using the BHA once a day but the past few days I've been using it twice a day, with no negative reactions. I think my skin is getting better. It sure FEELS better, that's for sure! No more nasty "skin feels so tight it might just crack and fall off in chunks" like I had with my previous face wash. I'm also getting over my lovely PMS breakout and I'm pretty sure the new products have helped those go away quicker than normal.

Boyfriend says he notices no difference in his skin, but this morning I (creepy, I know) felt his skin while we were just waking up and it seemed less greasy to me!

2c/3a; CG/Mod since 5/07

Counting down!:
    Shooting my 1st wedding - May 17th
    Portfolio Review - May 23rd (wish me LUCK!)
    Graduation - June 20th
    Move back to MAINE!! - Late July

Pictures of me: http://public.fotki.com/thataliciagirl/
    Pictures by me: http://www.alicialanephotography.com/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    Piglet wrote: »
    I'm at least three weeks in. I'm using the PSF cleanser, jojoba oil and BHA 2%. I'm only using the BHA sometimes because it's expensive and I want to see if I can get it in the UK. The cleanser though is very economical. My skin at the moment seems to be bounching back and forth between dry and ok and red and pimply and fairly clear. Sometimes it looks ok without make up from a distance, but when I look closely, it's red and nasty. I'm going to keep going with this though. My skin is certainly no worse than prior to this, and I like using the cleanser.

Can you dedicate the first bottle to everyday use to help your skin return normal, and then buy a second bottle to use for maintenance?
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin

I am having the same results. I have the green tea from PSF - I just ordered a sample of the cleanser from DY - we will see what that does. I am not using anything other than the cleanser right now - I dont want to add anything to the mix until I figure out the cleanser that works best for me.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    xcptnl wrote: »

I am having the same results. I have the green tea from PSF - I just ordered a sample of the cleanser from DY - we will see what that does. I am not using anything other than the cleanser right now - I dont want to add anything to the mix until I figure out the cleanser that works best for me.

Just to throw you a curve ball, you could be having a reaction to the seeweed/kelp in the Green Tea Cleansing Milk. DY's cleanser also has it. Since I have returned to the Gentle Castile, I have no more random pimples, so I am thinking that my skin doesn't like seeweed/kelp.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    xcptnl wrote: »

Just to throw you a curve ball, you could be having a reaction to the seeweed/kelp in the Green Tea Cleansing Milk. DY's cleanser also has it. Since I have returned to the Gentle Castile, I have no more random pimples, so I am thinking that my skin doesn't like seeweed/kelp.

Thanks for that info. I will see how it goes - if still a problem I will try the castile.
    Central Massachusetts

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file